• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Elsa

WxWatcher007

Is this the same storm we were watching yesterday? Similar appearance to Isaias last season east of Florida when it completely collapsed for a period. Models have really trended weaker too and maximized land interaction. Me thinks this storm will be a mid grade TS as most when it impacts Florida

• Like 2

Yeah—you can’t sugarcoat it. Despite the convective burst near the LLC it’s getting sheared and forward motion only hurts its ability to organize and align itself.

It’s hanging on with these bursts and heading to the best OHC environment in the entire basin so I don’t think we can give Elsa last rites or anything like that, but it’s struggling for sure.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

I guess you could say Elsa let herself go

Wouldn't really say that. 

Her forward speed just out running the mid and upper level and convection associated with it.

SST are plenty warm enough for further strengthening. 

Just needs to slow down and skirt along the DR and Cuba.

• Like 1

If this makes it to the gulf will it be the earliest named african wave to do so? Until it slows down there’s no way it will stack any sort of convective bursts but it does look like a fighter and my guess is it survives today. It looks like it will miss significant land interaction until Cuba. 

1 hour ago, Double Action said:

If this makes it to the gulf will it be the earliest named african wave to do so? Until it slows down there’s no way it will stack any sort of convective bursts but it does look like a fighter and my guess is it survives today. It looks like it will miss significant land interaction until Cuba. 

I’m sure there have been some earlier ones. This one is uncommon because of how soon it developed and how strong it became. I’m sure others were just middling along until they found a more favorable environment in the Gulf and developed.

7 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’m sure there have been some earlier ones. This one is uncommon because of how soon it developed and how strong it became. I’m sure others were just middling along until they found a more favorable environment in the Gulf and developed.

I’m sure the folks in Barbados were caught a little off guard with how strong Elsa was when passing the island. Getting sustained hurricane force winds actually measured on land rarely happens even with some stronger land falling canes, not to mention several gusts over 85. No doubt a good blow down there

• Like 1

Latest model runs are in very close agreement now. HWRF came back to reality and is also on top of GFS and ECMWF. It looks like it is going to survive barely despite clipping Haiti and then traversing Cuba. Ft Myers to Tampa Bay will most likely get full tropical storm impacts. Rain for the rest of florida. I’am in Seminole fl and we have that trough on us right now with lots of rain so I expect adding this to the mix will lead to localized flooding. 

7218BE07-7D84-47F4-86E2-616E7808C763.png

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 7:17 PM, nycwinter said:

their is no rescue it's a recovery mission now..

Correct. While this is the potential for a person or two to be found alive, this is a slim possibility as well. The likelihood is that all persons missing are deceased. 

29 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Correct. While this is the potential for a person or two to be found alive, this is a slim possibility as well. The likelihood is that all persons missing are deceased. 

This is off-topic for certain. But many of us here in Florida are hoping for some rescue. Historically it has happened in the past. Of course as Sir Francis Bacon wisely said, "Hope is a great breakfast, but a bad dinner."

For what's it is worth:

Update 7.3.2021 @ 5:00 pm
Governor DeSantis issued Executive Order 21-150 regarding Tropical Storm Elsa, expected to make landfall in early next week. This issues a State of Emergency for the following counties: 
Charlotte, Citrus, Collier, DeSoto, Hardee, Hernando, Hillsborough, Lee, Levy, Manatee, Miami-Dade, Monroe, Pasco, Pinellas and Sarasota.

I'll spare you the 12 page executive order, and all the "WHEREAS,..." statements. But I guess being proactive is good. I've read it completely, sounds good, makes sense. I will say this is the first time I received an email with this kind of info during any storm.

image.thumb.png.990631c17dbcf93e873e61daf2c8bde9.png

15 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Hard to see where the LLC is with cloud cover. Is it where the biggest convection burst appears to be?

Yea I should know...

2085002201_COD-GOES-East-meso-meso1.truecolor.20210703.225325-overmap-bars.thumb.gif.31c3abab117e4baae9a7b71484ed34b9.gif

It’s pretty hard to tell but my guess is it’s out ahead of the convective burst. It will end up missing SW Haiti though so maybe it’ll get a little organization tonight as it clears the mountain influence and slows a bit. Maybe. Its got an uphill battle. Pun intended :lol: 

Edit: recon en route

• Like 1

Florida is taking this serious. In all these years I've never seen to much proactive response to a "potential" storm, even with Irma and all the hype (ultimately justified) it didn't seem to produce so much from our local and State government.

#2 for Immediate Release, Saturday, July 3, 2021 – 6:00PM

GULFPORT RESIDENTS ADVISED TO PREPARE FOR POTENTIAL FLOOD IMPACTS FROM TROPICAL STORM ELSA
City continuing to monitor the storm, preparing for possible Tuesday impact

Latest Storm/Incident Developments
  • The National Hurricane Center has placed the City of Gulfport in the five-day cone of uncertainty for Elsa, which was downgraded to a Tropical Storm late Saturday morning.

• Regardless of Elsa’s eventual track, high winds, rain, and flooding or storm surge may affect the residents in low-lying or flood prone areas during the Tuesday, July 6 high tide at 10am. Many areas south of 28th Avenue South in and along the City’s Waterfront and Marina areas could experience the most significant coastal flooding.

• Residents in low-lying or flood prone areas should make a plan in the event of potential flooding.

• Boaters: Be prepared. Listen to weather forecasts and plan ahead. Don't wait until a hurricane warning to secure your boat. Haul out your boat or add additional lines during a hurricane or tropical storm watch, which is issued before a warning, 48-hours before the anticipated onset of storm winds.

City Response/Action

• Self-service sandbags are available from 8:00AM to 5:00PM, Sunday July 4 at the 49th Street Neighborhood Center, 1617 49th Street South. There is 10-bag limit and proof of residency may be required.

• The City of Gulfport Information Call Center will open for preparedness questions on Sunday, July 4 at 8 a.m. Call 727-893-1000 and speak to a City Staff member with preparedness questions.  

Advice & Information for Residents

• Monitor local news media, National Weather Service, www.pinellascounty.org, Facebook @PinellasCountyNews and Twitter @PinellasCoNews, search hashtag #PCElsa.

Review your disaster plan:

• Please preregister for special needs shelters by calling the County Information Center at (727) 464-4333. 

• Pre-registration is recommended for those transporting themselves. For those needing transportation assistance, registration is required. 

• Residents only need to register for special needs shelters once per season, so doing it now will help you for the rest of the year. 

• Purchase necessary items to complete survival kit now. 

• Prepare your kit. Be sure to include necessary hygiene supplies and gather important papers. For those going to a shelter, we recommend that you bring face coverings and sanitizer. 

Review checklist online at www.pinellascounty.org/emergency/prepareahead.htm

Sign up for pet shelters now by visiting www.pinellascounty.org/emergency/petpreparedness