• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2021 General Discussion

IWXwx

I woke up to a thunderstorm early this morning that wasn't forecast or indicated as a possibility from TWN. Their accuracy is so terrible now that the hourly had me with partly sunny skies with shower potential til 10am :yikes:. Good thunder and some lightning that made it the 2nd most substantial storm of 2021. Strong multi-cluster waves kept coming onshore then weakening rapidly before it got here which meant meager rain.

Exactly as desired, the precip moved out rapidly and 6 hours ahead of schedule the sun has come out :). The day is salvaged.

3 hours ago, Spartman said:

Only made it to 87. NWS now caved with TWC and dropped any mentions of 90 on their forecast. Heat wave cancel. No more 90s for the month. I will still only have a total of 7 90-degree days heading into August.

Detroit is only at 6 days on the year, and most of them just touching 90.

90, 90, 90, 91, 92, 90

Haven't been around in a while. Lost my youngest son, Daniel(26) back on the 16th. Very trying time for me and my family. Starting to get back to a little bit of normalcy. 

That being said, looks like more storms moving through today. Already some svr weather west of me this morning.

• Like 1
  • Sad 16

Today marks the end of the heatwave that failed to match its potential.  Local mets and the nws all forecasted 90+ for several days in a row, with mid 90s early this week and possibly upper 90s today.  Instead, Cedar Rapids (officially) only hit 90º twice during the warm stretch, 92º last Saturday and only 90º today (of course, it was probably a couple degrees higher here in the city).  Today was the only real humid day as the dewpoint hit 78º.  Most days the dew has been in the 60s.

Just now, hawkeye_wx said:

Today marks the end of the heatwave that wasn't.  Local mets and the nws all forecasted 90+ for several days in a row, with mid 90s early this week and possibly upper 90s today.  Instead, Cedar Rapids only hit 90º twice during the warm stretch, 92º last Saturday and only 90º today.  Today was the only real humid day as the dewpoint hit 78º.  Most days the dew has been in the 60s.

Wildfire smoke likely reason why temp was below forecast.

6 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Today marks the end of the heatwave that failed to match its potential.  Local mets and the nws all forecasted 90+ for several days in a row, with mid 90s early this week and possibly upper 90s today.  Instead, Cedar Rapids (officially) only hit 90º twice during the warm stretch, 92º last Saturday and only 90º today (of course, it was probably a couple degrees higher here in the city).  Today was the only real humid day as the dewpoint hit 78º.  Most days the dew has been in the 60s.

Not one 90 during this wasted hot stretch. The heat wave was too overhyped. The hype seemed reminiscent of when a significant snowstorm is forecast during the Winter to only result to a dusting up to a couple of inches of snow. Definite trainwreck. 

23 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I can guarantee that Cyclone was not expecting to get 2" of rain this morning.  The west end of the storms remained pretty robust and dropped south from LaCrosse to Dubuque to the QC.

Yeah I'm quite pleased to say the least.  Nearly continuous thunder the past few hours.  Point only had a 20% chance of rain lol.  Up to 1.76" and still raining.

EDIT:  1.92" now

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Brian D said:

Haven't been around in a while. Lost my youngest son, Daniel(26) back on the 16th. Very trying time for me and my family. Starting to get back to a little bit of normalcy. 

That being said, looks like more storms moving through today. Already some svr weather west of me this morning.

Damn, sorry to hear about the loss of your son. As a father, it's hard to imagine having to endure something like that so I hope you and your family can find some peace through all of it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 1:19 PM, Brian D said:

Sorry for your loss of your son. :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1