Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Summer 2021

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

This is also a great point. 

I think a +8 is unlikely - I agree with Canderson, it's only going to happen with warm nights.

Just using the 6Z GFS and eyeballing the numbers,  MDT would be around a -12 departure going into Sept 8th.  That alone is an incredible number to have that high of a departure (negative) over more than a week.   So MDT would need to average a +25 departure the rest of the month to counteract it.  Again, the GFS could be very wrong so just doing numbers with what we have today. 

19 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

To me, the plus 8 for September idea is going to come down to dewpoints. Average lows really start falling in September, if we have higher dews we'll have warm nights and that would get us there.

I see where your head is, but we really start to gain in darkness dept, and while Sept is a transitional month, the sun (or loss of) is a constant, and mostly why I think its a tall task to achieve (especially our week 1 early fall preview has legs (and cool nights as currently modeled).  Even if it corrects +3-+5 as we all know is possible).  .  

14 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Your output is a good example of what I was referencing.  You had no negative departures and still just barely made it.  A few days of -5 to -10 departures and I think it is pretty tough.  The GFS pretty much ends hopes right away with several pretty big negative departure days though it could be wrong of course. 

and to your point, if week 1 is normal/neg, thats a big dent in the ability to achieve +8 with Septembers ability to have big swings either way.

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Just using the 6Z GFS and eyeballing the numbers,  MDT would be around a -12 departure going into Sept 8th.  That along is an incredible number to have that high of a departure (negative) over roe than a week.   So MDT would need to average a +25 departure the rest of the month to counteract it.  Again, the GFS could be very wrong so just doing numbers with what we have today. 

Your point is a good one, though I calculated the number needed from 9/8 to 9/30 in your scenario to be about +14:

+8*30 = 240

-12*7 = -84

240 + 84 = 324

324 / 23 = ~14

Still extremely hard to do over a 23 day span.

8 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Your point is a good one, though I calculated the number needed from 9/8 to 9/30 in your scenario to be about +14:

+8*30 = 240

-12*7 = -84

240 + 84 = 324

324 / 23 = ~14

I did not do the math for real but I was calculating on over a week.  I think I mentioned Sept 8th but actually did the math in my head for 1.5 weeks or the end of the Sept 10th week (end of the current GFS run)  so adjusting with your math using my eyeballed -12 which may not be right but was using it for a point: 

+8*30 = 240

-12*10 = -120

240 + 120 = 360

360 / 20 = ~18

So I still over stated quite a bit on the -25.  That is what I get for posting and not doing math.   I think if we just did to Sept 7th, MDT may be a bit over -12 departure with those low 70's highs and low 50's lows.  

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

I did not do the math but I was calculating on over a week.  I think I mentioned Sept 8th but actually did the math for 1.5 weeks or the end of the Sept 10th week so adjusting with your math using my eyeballed -12 which may not be right but was using it for a point: 

+8*30 = 240

-12*10 = -120

240 + 120 = 360

360 / 20 = ~18

So I still over stated quite a bit on the -25.  That is what I get for posting and not doing math.   I think if we just did to Sept 7th, MDT may be a bit over -12 departure with those low 70's highs and low 50's lows.  

We probably shouldn’t be debating something that will almost certainly not happen anyway. Not sure about MDT, but there is exactly ONE September here that achieved a +8 departure (+12.4 to be exact), and it’s probably the most suspect weather record I’ve ever seen. I will never believe that September 1881 had the same average temperature as July 2020 here.

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

We probably shouldn’t be debating something that will almost certainly not happen anyway. Not sure about MDT, but there is exactly ONE September here that achieved a +8 departure (+12.4 to be exact), and it’s probably the most suspect weather record I’ve ever seen. I will never believe that September 1881 had the same average temperature as July 2020 here.

It's interesting banter though probably annoying to many.  Point taken. 

13 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

+8*30 = 240

-12*7 = -84

240 + 84 = 324

324 / 23 = ~14

thanks for doing the math....

thats exactly how I was looking at it knowing that week 2-5 departures would need to be rather tall...even if Bubbles -11 corrects to -6-7 (GFS)

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

It's interesting banter though probably annoying to many.  Point taken. 

I think it’s good stuff, personally. But I feel like it might be much like debating whether September will be above, at, or below normal snowfall.

• Like 1

How about above normal snowfall with a +8 departure? 

An interesting point. In theory, a T would be enough for that to happen. Problem is, to get the +8 departure, the part of the month where a T is even conceivable would have to be hot.

Sept continues to be the only month that MDT has never recorded at least a T.  Maybe we can break that this year. 

I feel like I did the research on 9/23/1989 at PIT and concluded that the T we recorded on that day was likely real. So the bar is higher for me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

86. heating up quickly

The constant cicada sounds makes it feel ever hotter as well.   Just checked the HRRR and fast heat rise is in there but temps level off a lot between 12-4 only going up a 2-3 degrees.   Let's see how that works out as if its not correct we should see some mid 90's today. 

25 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The constant cicada sounds makes it feel ever hotter as well.   Just checked the HRRR and fast heat rise is in there but temps level off a lot between 12-4 only going up a 2-3 degrees.   Let's see how that works out as if its not correct we should see some mid 90's today. 

88.4 here - temps better level off soon or we will reach the upper 90s today. 

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

To me, the plus 8 for September idea is going to come down to dewpoints. Average lows really start falling in September, if we have higher dews we'll have warm nights and that would get us there.

8+ September?..wow..most of the days would be in the 80's or 90's with lows near 70..Never happen..Usually warm Septembers are +2 to 3 range..Every September features cool downs when lows dip into the 50's..sometime 40's

1 minute ago, KEITH L.I said:

8+ September?..wow..most of the days would be in the 80's or 90's with lows near 70..Never happen..Usually warm Septembers are +2 to 3 range..Every September features cool downs when lows dip into the 50's..sometime 40's

Yes, I agree with you and others. In no way do I think it will happen, my only argument was IF it COULD happen, it would get there with very warm minimums. 

I'm with you and others. :)