Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Summer 2021

13 hours ago, CoralRed said:

Oh no!

I have been noticing the difference from late June for several weeks now.  I am really missing looking out the windows at 9:20 and realizing it's still not 100% dark outside; almost but not quite.  

I do not normally miss peak summer light but I am this year.  So the darker days ahead will be hard.  I have been telling myself to pay more attention in the future and try to enjoy the latest light even more next summer.

I notice it more from mid-July onward, but it stands out to me too. Every year I’m a little sad when the daylight hours start getting shorter. I used to love fall weather (still do, really) but the limited daylight can get really tough. 

Hopefully we’ll have lots of activity here on our central PA thread(s). I find myself appreciating ALL the seasons and weather variations so much more thanks to the enthusiasm of our cold and snow-chasers :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paweather said:

Just setting the stage for the heat to start tomorrow into next week. 

GFS high on Saturday, for MDT, is around 80.  CMC low 80's.  Hmmm.  Nam has no 90's for MDT whole run.    The weekend portion of the heat wave is definitely wavering today as a more cloudy outlook comes on.   Both the Nam and CMC punt the early part of the heat wave for N VA and north...into next week. 

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Quiet here tonight.  Everyone must be glued to the Cowboys and Steelers slobberknocker showdown.  Can either team get to 10 points? 

Yawn. I was outside all evening enjoying myself. 89/56 here today. You know, me and @mahantango#1are usually almost identical on high temps every day. Lows are a different story. 

• Like 1

It was about a tenth of an inch. The accurite rain guage has a problem. I had to take it apart last year. There is probably a spider that got in and spun a little web that prevents the cup from dumping. So till i get to do that I have to rely on the rain guage in the yard.

11 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Fluffing up pillows stats.  Another feather in the sack. 

1 hour ago, paweather said:

Dog days of Summer!

I know coming from me, this might sound crazy, but today is what i expect from summer....not what we had so far for the week.

Trainer brought up the 5-7 deg forecasted vs realized differential in another post, and it is something that's been in my mind for the last year + as we often have seen it in winter mins/maxs as well.  I think next week might have a couple days of that in play.  That said, I also looked over overnighters and still see alot of firehose forecasts in the med/extended with a lot of movement as troughs/ridges switch off every 6/12 hours and temps reflect this, so as I suggested yesterday, I'm still not real worried about locking in on sustained heat.....but definitely normalish dog days for sure.

And regarding mins for the week so far, every morning I've been at or within 2-3 deg. of forecasted lows.  I dont really get too wrapped up in the hitting the mark stuff, due to microclimates that come into play, but do get pisses when forecasts bust 5-7 too low for days on end.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I know coming from me, this might sound crazy, but today is what i expect from summer....not what we had so far for the week.

Trainer brought up the 5-7 deg forecasted vs realized differential in another post, and it is something that's been in my mind for the last year + as we often have seen it in winter mins/maxs as well.  I think next week might have a couple days of that in play.  That said, I also looked over overnighters and still see alot of firehose forecasts in the med/extended with a lot of movement as troughs/ridges switch off every 6/12 hours and temps reflect this, so as I suggested yesterday, I'm still not real worried about locking in on sustained heat.....but definitely normalish dog days for sure.

And regarding mins for the week so far, every morning I've been at or within 2-3 deg. of forecasted lows.  I dont really get too wrapped up in the hitting the mark stuff, due to microclimates that come into play, but do get pisses when forecasts bust 5-7 too low for days on end.  

It is all good just as expected this is August so I would think we will enjoy the warmth for a while yet. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, paweather said:

It is all good just as expected this is August so I would think we will enjoy the warmth for a while yet. 

I really dont start to get giddy until after labor day and even then its usually a couple weeks beyond. 

I can remember September heat waves sitting in high school (w/ NO AIR CONDITIONING)....OMG....how did I/we survive??

if we can pull off some back n forth for the next couple weeks, i'll consider that a win and just be ready to move on when the first cold front of the fall blows in.

• Like 1