• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Summer 2021

1 minute ago, Voyager said:

I swear, if I see any posts saying "we need rain" I'm gonna hunt you all down and :gun_bandana:

:lol:

LOL.  6" of rain in a day and then none for two weeks is just about the same as none for two weeks.   The only area that benefits from the 6" is the aquifer and lakes.   The vegetation needs rain every few days. 

1 hour ago, canderson said:

It's very dry out considering it rained 6" yesterday. I went to weed a bit and it is like it never rained. I guess the overnight winds dried everything out. There are no puddles anywhere around. 

I was thinking the same thing.  Can barley tell it rained over here, pretty remarkable.

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

LOL.  6" of rain in a day and then none for two weeks is just about the same as none for two weeks.   The only area that benefits from the 6" is the aquifer and lakes.   The vegetation needs rain every few days. 

I know it does. The surfaces of any areas that didn't pond up are dry already...

11 hours ago, TimB84 said:

C21C3DF2-404A-43AC-B719-C833AD027E70.jpeg.4f9453269beaaf150205016c6565c296.jpeg

Several comments here.

1. it’s 3 days short of a record.

2. this is the first time in recorded history that MDT made it through July and August without dropping below 60.

3. Five of the top ten have been in the last 6 years.

Warm AMO cycle with higher dew points and thus warmer minimums.

13 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

And you were the big winner.  My dad near valley green and had water in his basement. 

Yeah...at one point according to Newberry Twp police website, there was no way to get in/out of my location via road.  I never left as I was trying to divert water from house and not have to clean up basement...again!  I use a standard 10:1 COCORAHS type rain gauge and was measuring about every hour or so throughout the day.  From 3:30 pm to about 5 pm was the greatest rate (but even the "moderate" rain was heavy all day!).  I've been measuring precip for COCORAHS since 2010 or so.  It's easier now for me to go out and get soaked by a tropical rain than melt a column and get the liquid equivalent!  When I was younger, I'd do snow angels and pack snow against the tent.  Now I'd like to have weather every day like what we had today; Sept 2, 2021!  I love weather...and moreso, I love the meteorology and the outdoors!

2 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Yeah...at one point according to Newberry Twp police website, there was no way to get in/out of my location via road.  I never left as I was trying to divert water from house and not have to clean up basement...again!  I use a standard 10:1 COCORAHS type rain gauge and was measuring about every hour or so throughout the day.  From 3:30 pm to about 5 pm was the greatest rate (but even the "moderate" rain was heavy all day!).  I've been measuring precip for COCORAHS since 2010 or so.  It's easier now for me to go out and get soaked by a tropical rain than melt a column and get the liquid equivalent!  When I was younger, I'd do snow angels and pack snow against the tent.  Now I'd like to have weather every day like what we had today; Sept 2, 2021!  I love weather...and moreso, I love the meteorology and the outdoors!

I am glad I had your ob as my dad insisted he only had a few inches.   I confidently told him he had more. 

• Like 1

I just realized this thread was not only quite long, it was the longest (reply wise) in the available history of the Upstate NY/PA sub Thread.  I say this acknowledging that winter threads used to be split up into months but still an interesting piece of info.  Because it was a core group of posters who were here it is no where near the l most read forum just the most replies.

image.thumb.png.d43ef107739660a9c9053d0bcfbed109.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I just realized this thread was not only quite long, it was the longest (reply wise) in the available history of the Upstate NY/PA sub Thread.  I say this acknowledging that winter threads used to be split up into months but still an interesting piece of info.  Because it was a core group of posters who were here it is no where near the l most read forum just the most replies.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

I also notice that both the summer and spring threads were started on or near the vernal equinox and summer solstice rather than the meteorological start dates.  

I’ve come to appreciate both in their own way but since I grew up following the astronomical dates, part of me will always think of those as the “official” start of each season. 

41 minutes ago, Streak said:

I also notice that both the summer and spring threads were started on or near the vernal equinox and summer solstice rather than the meteorological start dates.  

I’ve come to appreciate both in their own way but since I grew up following the astronomical dates, part of me will always think of those as the “official” start of each season. 

If you look back at the first Winter 20/21 and Fall 20 thread you will see they both started using the dates Met's use.  So I still contend that this is a primarily cold driven board which is fine using Met dates for fall and winter but uses Astro dates for Spring and Summer as sort of a "well if I have to, I have to" way of trying to hang on to Winter and Spring longer. 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

If you look back at the first Winter 20/21 and Fall 20 thread you will see they both started using the dates Met's use.  So I still contend that this is a primarily cold driven board which is fine using Met dates for fall and winter but uses Astro dates for Spring and Summer as sort of a "well if I have to, I have to" way of trying to hang on to Winter and Spring longer. 

Interesting! I assumed the later start dates were just coincidence but that makes sense on a forum mostly populated with cold and snow-chasers. 

11 minutes ago, Streak said:

Interesting! I assumed the later start dates were just coincidence but that makes sense on a forum mostly populated with cold and snow-chase

It's just an opinion but lines up with the same theory of our world rushing the good seasons like putting out Christmas stuff in Sept and Oct.

• Like 1