• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Summer 2021

11 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Im actually proud of myself....I've been more active this summer than the last 10 summers...........combined. lol

its our charming personalities that kept you around this summer isn't it? :sun:

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

For some of us the takeaway is that summer is on its last legs, no matter what heat wave may be showing up.  Whatever the heat, the days are shortening, and nights are starting to cool a bit (although sticky still seems to be haning tough). 

I'm down w/ whatever summer has left.  I'll deal like I've been, and just roll w/ it. 

My time is coming.....

I like summer heat weather until labor day, then its GTFOH and i want cool nights, fires and cold beer

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Word, brother. That's what I've been saying the past few weeks. I'll take the heat now knowing that our time is baking in the oven...

If one trusts the GFS, your heatwave looks to have legs.  Went to 8 day panel to see whats cookin....looks like the east is.  As you elluded to a while back, likely see this tick/verify a few deg higher so 86 could easily verify as 90.

gfs_T2m_us_35.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

If one trusts the GFS, your heatwave looks to have legs.  Went to 8 day panel to see whats cookin....looks like the east is.  As you elluded to a while back, likely see this tick/verify a few deg higher so 86 could easily verify as 90.

gfs_T2m_us_35.png

Even so, 90 at a location where the normal is 84 on the date in question is hardly extreme.

6 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

its our charming personalities that kept you around this summer isn't it? :sun:

I like summer heat weather until labor day, then its GTFOH and i want cool nights, fires and cold beer

Dont tell anyone here............but yeah, you all have "grown" on me........

and cool nights, campfires, beautifujl autumnal splendor..... and cold beer........

absolutely.....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Even so, 90 at a location where the normal is 84 on the date in question is hardly extreme.

absolutely.  As we've seemingly had an active northern branch, that 86 could easily be 76 2 days from now w/ something nudging its way in from the NW.  

But for now.....I'm seeing red....lol

10 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Yea, the use of the word Heat Wave is taking on its own meaning this summer.  Getting into the low 90's in August is just a warm day.  LOL.   As mentioned last week did not qualify as a heat wave using Trainings find. 

Steelers recently-signed 3rd string QB. Kind of a running joke we’ve had this summer.

ok....then i dont feel so silly....guess i missed seeing him against my eagles last week...

in truth i only casually watched w/ 1 eye. its pre season ya know.  More of a here comes autumn indicator for me...

5 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

i dont know who that is............

go ahead troll the hell outta me....I can take it....:lol:

Steelers recently-signed 3rd string QB. Kind of a running joke we’ve had this summer.

He went to THE Ohio State University which is fail #1.

He's not exactly modeled great behavior, which is fail #2. 

And he's not posting here, which is strike 3. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, the use of the word Heat Wave is taking on its own meaning this summer.  Getting into the low 90's in August is just a warm day.  LOL.   As mentioned last week did not qualify as a heat wave using Trainings find. 

What is it again, something like +10 departures for some number of days in a row?

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Very true, which is interesting because even years ago, we'd have called last week a heat wave. 

I think. 

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

He went to THE Ohio State University which is fail #1.

He's not exactly modeled great behavior, which is fail #2. 

And he's not posting here, which is strike 3. 

Maybe he’s a weather enthusiast. Maybe we can get him posting on here so he can stay out of trouble. Just don’t let him venture out of this subforum.

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

we are migrating to a sensationalistic society....so heat wave garners way more attention - even though you are correct that it really just a normalish doggy summer kinda day....

7 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

ok....then i dont feel so silly....guess i missed seeing him against my eagles last week...

in truth i only casually watched w/ 1 eye. its pre season ya know.  More of a here comes autumn indicator for me...

All 24 Steelers points were scored with him under center, but yes, it’s preseason.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

What is it again, something like +10 departures for some number of days in a row?

MDT did not even get close last week by this definition.  MDT had one day.  LOL.    Whether you go by this or not, the definition of two days is way too short IMO.  

The World Meteorological Society, for example, says it’s when five days in a row have a daily high temperature that’s hotter than the normal high by 9 degrees F.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I'm working on getting Mike Trout to post here. He is a huge weather weenie. 

Being out of the lineup for the past 3 months would have been a golden opportunity for him to discover the hobby of posting on weather forums.

8 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

i only watched first half.....with obviously my bad eye.  You sound a little more diehardish than I....

Actually didn’t watch a second of the game, you’d never confuse me with a diehard lol. Really only following the backup QB story at this point. 

33 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

i only watched first half.....with obviously my bad eye.  You sound a little more diehardish than I....

27 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Actually didn’t watch a second of the game, you’d never confuse me with a diehard lol. Really only following the backup QB story at this point. 

in a month or so, i plan my days around football. But i wouldn't say i'm a diehard ;)

• Haha 1

Lets not sleep on tomorrow (literally). With the remnants of Fred moving in, lots of shear will be in place. And unfortunately, in the evening and towards the overnight hours when some might be sleeping. The 3k NAM has some impressive hodographs showing up in the area, the one below for Harrisburg with a PDS TOR sounding. The HRRR is in the same boat as well with discrete cells ahead of the primary low pressure system. Surface warming during the daytime may allow for sufficient CAPE for a sneaky tornado or two, although it'll ultimately depend on the hourly track of Fred and where it decides to go. Not often, if ever, you see a nocturnal tornado threat in this part of the country. We shall see...

nam3km_ref_frzn_neus_38.png

1286050650_2021081712_NAMNST_035_40.24-76.88_severe_ml.thumb.png.7b005e950f34b5b9c54c48d10d9ddbb8.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As I said above, the HRRR is not too dissimilar from the NAM. The difference is timing, where the HRRR brings storms in around ~5pm compared to ~10pm on the NAM. Still very curvy hodographs with lots and lots of veering up the column in the low levels, plenty of effective bulk shear (over 50kts!). LCLs are low, which help to favor tornado formation as well, and MLCAPE is solidly in the 1000 J/kg to 1500 J/kg range (although it wouldn't hurt if it was a bit higher).

hrrr_2021081712_034_40.29--76_94.thumb.png.3929bb44ac401982430189171066299d.png

• Thanks 1