• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Summer 2021

On 8/3/2021 at 3:20 PM, canderson said:

I noticed last night it has started getting darker earlier. Mid August to mid September it moves so quickly. 

Oh no!

I have been noticing the difference from late June for several weeks now.  I am really missing looking out the windows at 9:20 and realizing it's still not 100% dark outside; almost but not quite.  

I do not normally miss peak summer light but I am this year.  So the darker days ahead will be hard.  I have been telling myself to pay more attention in the future and try to enjoy the latest light even more next summer.

• Like 1

I went to see the Area Forecast Discussion to see what else I could find out about upcoming  heat.  I must give the NWS credit for telling me exactly what I wanted to know in their 1:21am update:

LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
The extended period will be marked by a trend toward a sultry
summer sizzle with hot temperatures and dewpoints in the upper
60s and low 70s. Increased heat and humidity will prompt the
chance of afternoon showers and thunderstorms, but there is no
apparent heavy rain threat at this time.

Sultry summer sizzle.  OK.  Not what I want but now I know what's coming.  I have been happy to keep the windows closed and wear my bathrobe late at night with temps in the 50s but it's coming to an end. I am surprised it lasted as long as it did here in Williamsport at this time of year.

Looks like a week from today we will be looking at another shot of heat and humidity, but I'm not convinced it holds.  Overnighters showing typical mood swings and really bouncing around.  When you replace ridges w/ troughs....don't panic.  Overall theme that I saw was that the NE looks to have some (enough?) troughing around to keep us out of extended heat.  CMC and Euro both showing it.  If one buys into the GFS....were cooked. 

Sure have enjoyed this week.

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

@Itstrainingtime....does MDT make 100 next week?  10 days left before it becomes a very rare event.

Maybe...sure wouldn't surprise me. Best chance is if we can get dews up in the mid 70s for that to happen. With increasing amounts of darkness now, we'd need high dews I believe so that we don't radiate that well at night. That's the thing about mid to late August heat...even on hot days, it's often more pleasant in the evening with the sun setting earlier.

Speaking of  radiating, I got down to 56 last night. That's actually the coolest for the summer here. 

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

Vive Le Lucky.  Team USA catches a big break and escapes having to face the best player in the world in Luka Doncic...gets a second shot at France for Gold. 

Enjoy! I admittedly haven't watched a single minute, and as you know, I'm a fairly big hoops fan. I just can't get into it. I've got other things to keep me busy, like watching the Orioles lose some more games. :) 

Another nice day today before we start feeling the warmth for sure tomorrow. 

12 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Maybe...sure wouldn't surprise me. Best chance is if we can get dews up in the mid 70s for that to happen. With increasing amounts of darkness now, we'd need high dews I believe so that we don't radiate that well at night. That's the thing about mid to late August heat...even on hot days, it's often more pleasant in the evening with the sun setting earlier.

Speaking of  radiating, I got down to 56 last night. That's actually the coolest for the summer here. 

Your MDT friends only managed a 61.  Each passing cool night the records at MDT become less and less legitimate.  

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Interesting...that's a pretty big discrepancy for sure. 

I guess there's more to it than I thought. I just don't pay attention much to MDT. 

Starting to see why.  Though yesterday Cap City was only one degree off.    I believe their temps are accurate they are just not always representative of most of the area.    York (a known cold spot) scored a 53, Lancaster 56. It's truly an HIA thing I believe.   

Forgive me while I go off topic for a minute but I'm still running high after watching Penn State wrestling legend David Taylor win his first ever gold medal this morning on a last second takedown!  The grit, the guts, the determination.......just everything.  What a moment for David, who has been through so much to get to this point.  The US wrestling team is having a heck of an Olympics, with still more accolades on the way.  I love me some wrestling, the oldest greatest sport!

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Forgive me while I go off topic for a minute but I'm still running high after watching Penn State wrestling legend David Taylor win his first ever gold medal this morning on a last second takedown!  The grit, the guts, the determination.......just everything.  What a moment for David, who has been through so much to get to this point.  The US wrestling team is having a heck of an Olympics, with still more accolades on the way.  I love me some wrestling, the oldest greatest sport!

No excuses needed for posting something that is off topic during slow times.  This is a community after all :-). 

5 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Outstanding! 

38 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Starting to see why.  Though yesterday Cap City was only one degree off.    I believe their temps are accurate they are just not always representative of most of the area.    York (a known cold spot) scored a 53, Lancaster 56. It's truly an HIA thing I believe.   

I don't pay much attention to LNS either, but it's nice to know that we had the same readings. 

Sometimes I question my station when I see that almost everyone else on here is several degrees cooler at night. I'm not really in an urban area that I'd expect to run warmer. I know that @Mount Joy Snowman should be a little cooler at night, he's in a more conducive area to radiate out well. 

21 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

No excuses needed for posting something that is off topic during slow times.  This is a community after all :-). 

Agree 100%. In the past, it would take a week or 2 to fill a single page in this thread. If someone new comes in, that doesn't present a very friendly environment to start posting if they feel like the members don't even post much at all. 

17 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I don't pay much attention to LNS either, but it's nice to know that we had the same readings. 

Sometimes I question my station when I see that almost everyone else on here is several degrees cooler at night. I'm not really in an urban area that I'd expect to run warmer. I know that @Mount Joy Snowman should be a little cooler at night, he's in a more conducive area to radiate out well. 

Maybe you are in a group of exaggerators?  LOL. 

17 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Maybe you are in a group of exaggerators?  LOL. 

Haha, yeah, well I won't let my wife see your post. :) 

That's in part why I invested in the weather station.(s) All I need to do is spit out what the numbers are. No more guess work. 

Speaking of the station, it's 74.8 here as I post this. 

• Like 1

Good point. Probably why you don’t see a lot of 100F days in August.