• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Summer 2021

22 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

For severe weather fans, today was the equivalent of waking up under a WSW for 12-24" of snow that ended producing scattered flurries. 

On a serious note I am going to play devils advocate on this.  Would there have been a WSW for 12-24" when not one model (that I saw) had it on its panels?  I do understand that convection is not always modeled well but something to consider.  

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

On a serious note I am going to play devils advocate on this.  Would there have been a WSW for 12-24" when not one model (that I saw) had it on its panels?  I do understand that convection is not always modeled well but something to consider.  

Another thing to consider - while little happened here, Bucks county got raked. Major car dealership damage in Bensalem. Understand there might be casualties as well. :(  

10 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea other parts of PA were under the gun it (short term guidance)  just always seemed to dampen the line over us then reignite once past the LSV.

47 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea other parts of PA were under the gun it (short term guidance)  just always seemed to dampen the line over us then reignite once past the LSV.

The bolded part is Tamaqua severe weather in a nutshell. For every 10 storm events, 9.5 almost always seem to do that here.

6 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

That arrow is pointing directly at my house. It's also going to miss @Mount Joy Snowman

Yep we called it. What looked to be a day with a lot of severe potential really turned into a dud around here, although we had a feeling that could be the case relatively early this morning. I’ll check the gauge in the morning but can’t imagine I got more than a few hundredths. Looks like the extreme eastern and western parts of the state got in on some wild action though. Just an odd weather day all the way around. 

8 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Cloud cover throughout the day held temps down and having no sun was why I thought the widespread severe calls might be in a bit of trouble.

Its like having a gallon of gasoline sitting right next to lighter.  Without a mechanism to make the spark trigger.....its just a gallon of gasoline.  Soon as I saw the clouds holding strong......I thought many calls for severe were in trouble. That's not a broadbrush call, just saying that I felt much of the LSV was going to have less action then was being called for. 

Sun creates heat...heat creates lift....lift creates spin/mixing...spin creates sparks..... tboomers.  

Extreme western and eastern areas had breaks of sun and enough energy/spark to fire off some action.  I was watching the satellite loops and we were socked in early while SW and SE Pa had breaks in the deck.  No chest thumping here....just had a hunch and went with it.  

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

Cloud cover throughout the day held temps down and having no sun was why I thought the widespread severe calls might be in a bit of trouble.

Its like having a gallon of gasoline sitting right next to lighter.  Without a mechanism to make the spark trigger.....its just a gallon of gasoline.  Soon as I saw the clouds holding strong......I thought many calls for severe were in trouble. That's not a broadbrush call, just saying that I felt much of the LSV was going to have less action then was being called for. 

Sun creates heat...heat creates lift....lift creates spin/mixing...spin creates sparks..... tboomers.  

Extreme western and eastern areas had breaks of sun and enough energy/spark to fire off some action.  I was watching the satellite loops and we were socked in early while SW and SE Pa had breaks in the deck.  No chest thumping here....just had a hunch and went with it.  

It seems like so often, on our best severe potential days, we battle persistent cloudcover.

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

You scored almost an inch of rain.  Not too shabby. 

Yeah, I was a bit surprised at the total. 0.92" to be exact. The rain I drove through after taking those pics on route 100 yesterday was incredibly intense, though. The area near the Lehigh Valley Zoo (Trexler Game Preserve) had to have gotten 2-3 inches.

Even farther outside our area, check out this video from inside the shop area of that car dealer that was hit in Bensalem...

And the aerial footage of the damage afterward...

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

I noticed that garage door was closing then it stopped so guessing its not automated and the one guy bailed before he got a wrench in the head.   Almost looked sunny out.

Yeah, it does look like maybe it stopped a split second before the power went out.

57 minutes ago, Voyager said:

It seems like so often, on our best severe potential days, we battle persistent cloudcover.

its much like the saying we use in the winter....you cant shovel potential, or since there is so much sports talk of late (fine btw), its like the US mens basketball team.....lots of talent, but if they dont mix/jive well together....well you know the result.

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

its much like the saying we use in the winter....you can shovel potential, or since there is so much sports talk of late (fine btw), its like the US mens basketball team.....lots of talent, but if they dont mix/jive well together....well you know the result.

They beat up on Iran the other day, they’re fine. /s

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

its much like the saying we use in the winter....you can shovel potential, or since there is so much sports talk of late (fine btw), its like the US mens basketball team.....lots of talent, but if they dont mix/jive well together....well you know the result.

The irony.  A big NBA trade involving 3 of the best players in the country (although RWB is not a good shooter) of which none are playing in Japan.    Are you saying LeBron is the sunshine of the USA?  

20 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The irony.  A big NBA trade involving 3 of the best players in the country (although RWB is not a good shooter) of which none are playing in Japan.    Are you saying LeBron is the sunshine of the USA?  

lol.  i used the basketball analogy because of all of the bball chatter the other day.  I couldnt tell you a thing about who plays where.  Dont follow the sport.