• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Summer 2021

9 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

We used to go for a week every summer when I was a kid and some friends of my parents rented them a cottage for $50 a night. Now it’s a lot more than that, but it’s a family vacation so it’s split several ways. As for the MA folk, they’re the reason it’s so expensive nowadays. First they stole our vacation spot, then NWS Baltimore/Washington stole Garrett County from NWS Pittsburgh. Ironically, the last time Pittsburgh hit 100 was on the day we were returning from one of those Deep Creek trips of my youth.

Well regardless of temp hopefully it turns out to be a restful and fun vaca.  In the MA's eyes (not just the board, the general population) they did not steal anything.  They consider it eminent domain.  Most people in the MA live in a bubble and think everywhere else is just like their area.  If they feel like travelling to the panhandle of MD then its now part of the MA. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

In the winter some here check the 0Z GFS and Euro while lying on their pillow with a West Coast sporting event on in the background.   Speaking of sports it looks like the Olympics will at least get started so the US Men's BkBall team has a big matchup with France.  France has two NBA All Star Level Players.  Vive Le Upset Alert? 

Totally forgot to reply to this part in particular. Our WFH alarm goes off at 7 every morning. Typically I wake up (naturally) between 6:15 and 6:30, which gives me time to look at the overnight model runs (except the end of the 6z GFS) and the previous night’s sports scores and news while lying on my pillow before the alarm goes off. But I don’t think my wife would like me laying in bed on my phone like that, so it typically happens on mornings when she’s facing the other way.

10 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Totally forgot to reply to this part in particular. Our WFH alarm goes off at 7 every morning. Typically I wake up (naturally) between 6:15 and 6:30, which gives me time to look at the overnight model runs (except the end of the 6z GFS) and the previous night’s sports scores and news while lying on my pillow before the alarm goes off. But I don’t think my wife would like me laying in bed on my phone like that, so it typically happens on mornings when she’s facing the other way.

Not much different than my routine though I use the phone quite a bit with pillow.  My alarm is set for 6:30 but rarely make it there.  Usually 5:30 to 6.  My pillow time is more in the evening.  I have issues with TT and putting a run on automatic forward (on mobile).  The screen blanks out frequently.   So I am starting force myself to wait until I get to a larger screen to look. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Not much different than my routine though I use the phone quite a bit with pillow.  My alarm is set for 6:30 but rarely make it there.  Usually 5:30 to 6.  My pillow time is more in the evening.  I have issues with TT and putting a run on automatic forward (on mobile).  The screen blanks out frequently.   So I am starting force myself to wait until I get to a larger screen to look. 

I do everything on my phone these days. Don’t even have a functioning computer to my name other than my work computer (which has tracking software so I don’t run my hobbies through it).

21 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

@Bubbler8679/59 here matches that map you posted perfectly. 

Temp is running a few degrees under the projected high - again, have to think some of that is smoke/haze induced.

I was wondering who this newbie with the Orange Bird was....I read your whole post before realizing it was you.  LOL.  That is your celebratory change for getting near 7K posts.

25 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I do everything on my phone these days. Don’t even have a functioning computer to my name other than my work computer (which has tracking software so I don’t run my hobbies through it).

I get irritated in the limited capability of mobile devices for some stuff I do.  They are great when an App covers the need but not so much if you ever try to use anything "web page based".

I use my work computer as well but do not have the limitation you mentioned but understand where you are coming from. 

8 minutes ago, paweather said:

ItsTrainingTime = O's. NO please NO! LOL. 

There are so MANY O's fans in the southern third of Central PA.    He is in good company.  They seem really concentrated around Hanover where most O's fans are also Nascar fans.    Maybe it is time for you to add a new Cowboys logo to counteract? 

31 minutes ago, paweather said:

ItsTrainingTime = O's. NO please NO! LOL. 

Nothing greater than winning the World Series than in Veterans Stadium.

Too bad that was 38 years ago. :( 

29 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

He’s representing the 2nd most recent of his pro sports teams to win a championship.

This is a true fact, and a testament to my suffering. 

26 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

There are so MANY O's fans in the southern third of Central PA.    He is in good company.  They seem really concentrated around Hanover where most O's fans are also Nascar fans.    Maybe it is time for you to add a new Cowboys logo to counteract? 

People make fun of our lack of attendance - what city would support a team as bad as we are? 

Here's a fact - the Orioles are the fastest team to 50 million fans in any city after they opened a new ballpark. O's reached 50 million in just over 16 seasons. Prior to that though, there were years of 2 million plus numbers at the old stadium. 

Give us a competitive team, we'll be there. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

So EC still has the next week saving trough though Wed is a bit toasty down by me.    In the area of a :thumbsdown: see below graphic

image.png.30eb33376d024fa755a188a4531e1bbf.png

Yeah, it’s ugly. The race is on to see if PIT finishes July above or below normal temperature for the month.

12 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Nothing greater than winning the World Series than in Veterans Stadium.

Too bad that was 38 years ago. :( 

This is a true fact, and a testament to my suffering. 

People make fun of our lack of attendance - what city would support a team as bad as we are? 

Here's a fact - the Orioles are the fastest team to 50 million fans in any city after they opened a new ballpark. O's reached 50 million in just over 16 seasons. Prior to that though, there were years of 2 million plus numbers at the old stadium. 

Give us a competitive team, we'll be there. 

Opiniated speak (drivel?) ahead:

I look at the O's as the common man's team. I say that in a good way.  They are based in a big city but the city is sort of a sister city to neighbor Washington.  I know very few O's fans who are working for investments firms or work at the largest law firm around.  I am sure they are plenty of them I just do not know them.  All the O's fans I know work normal jobs, have mortgages, and live outside the City.  Almost all the Yankee fans I know are the exact opposite.  They live in a world of Go Big or Go Home as to their lives.  Same as a lot of Red Sox fans (no Offense Canderson).  A lot of people at Yankees games are there as part of a business deal of some kind.   If I had to break down in front a Yankees fan or O's fans house I would choose the O's in a heartbeat.  LOL 

• Like 1

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

Opiniated speak (drivel?) ahead:

I look at the O's as the common man's team. I say that in a good way.  They are based in a big city but the city is sort of a sister city to neighbor Washington.  I know very few O's fans who are working for investments firms or work at the largest law firm around.  I am sure they are plenty of them I just do not know them.  All the O's fans I know work normal jobs, have mortgages, and live outside the City.  Almost all the Yankee fans I know are the exact opposite.  They live in a world of Go Big or Go Home as to their lives.  Same as a lot of Red Sox fans (no Offense Canderson).  A lot of people at Yankees games are there as part of a business deal of some kind.   If I had to break down in front a Yankees fan or O's fans house I would choose the O's in a heartbeat.  LOL 

I totally understand and agree with your sentiment. Once the novelty of Camden Yards subsided, all of the people you spoke about disappeared for the most part and the true fans remained. And 10 years ago or so, long after OPCY had become another ballpark, the team averaged 2 million plus per year. Baltimore has great, great fans, but how long can we be patient with Mr. Angelos leading us into an oblivion of ineptness? 

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I totally understand and agree with your sentiment. Once the novelty of Camden Yards subsided, all of the people you spoke about disappeared for the most part and the true fans remained. And 10 years ago or so, long after OPCY had become another ballpark, the team averaged 2 million plus per year. Baltimore has great, great fans, but how long can we be patient with Mr. Angelos leading us into an oblivion of ineptness? 

And not really directly related but the whole Colts debacle is still something that people think about when they think about Baltimore.  IMO,  Baltimore is the better city of Washington and Baltimore but Washington gets all get attention.  Even down to the Washington Capitals/Baltimore Skipjacks thing that used to exist before skedaddling to Portland, ME.