• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Summer 2021

47 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It is so cool and breezy that I would not blame someone for wearing long sleeves if taking a stroll. 69 with some occasional drops and winds are stiff in the 15-20MPH range. 

74 here now. Picked up .03" at some since midnight, I have no idea when though. 

My stroll will NOT include a long sleeve shirt. :)  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Happy National Ice Cream Day!

8 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

It is one of my favorite things in life!

It is right up there with the weather for me!

Enjoyed some ice cream today, as well as what I would consider another fantastic summer day.

With it looking to dry out some, it appears the big weather/atmospheric story in our area for at least the first part of the week is going to be a significant amount of wildfire smoke overhead. Which by the way, I don't ever recall this happening anywhere close to as often as it has in the past two summers. 

trc1_int_f18.thumb.png.aabf591bff8f45fd68ce1b2a17833cfe.png

Full loop HERE

There's also loops for near-surface, 1000', and 6000' AGL on the NOAA site, which the HRRR also eventually shows into PA the next couple days at those levels. Kinda surprised CTP disco didn't have any mention about it today. 

8 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

With it looking to dry out some, it appears the big weather/atmospheric story in our area for at least the first part of the week is going to be a significant amount of wildfire smoke overhead. Which by the way, I don't ever recall this happening anywhere close to as often as it has in the past two summers. 

Full loop HERE

There's also loops for near-surface, 1000', and 6000' AGL on the NOAA site, which the HRRR also eventually shows into PA the next couple days at those levels. Kinda surprised CTP disco didn't have any mention about it today. 

Thanks Mag. 

One question I am never sure I fully understood.  How much do models account for the smoke when it comes to temps at the surface? 

Models have really trended in the wrong direction for anyone who wants another break from summer this month. Sure, it looks mostly seasonable to slightly above with no big heat, but “mostly seasonable to slightly above” in PA in July means temps well into the 80s. 

12 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Models have really trended in the wrong direction for anyone who wants another break from summer this month. Sure, it looks mostly seasonable to slightly above with no big heat, but “mostly seasonable to slightly above” in PA in July means temps well into the 80s. 

Still showing some decent lows later this week  and weekend on the GFS and CMC.  Did not check the Euro.  But you are right in that it is nothing to crow about. 

24 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Still showing some decent lows later this week  and weekend on the GFS and CMC.  Did not check the Euro.  But you are right in that it is nothing to crow about. 

I feel certain I get into the 50s on Thursday morning. Then again, Pittsburgh recorded a low of 59 yesterday as well. But yesterday was just an ugly day here, a high of 82 and a low of 59, not a drop of rain, a fairly sunny afternoon, dewpoints near 60 all day, and a beautiful sunset. /s

I can’t remember which model broke first from the consensus that next weekend would be cool, but that one looks like it will win this round. 

13 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I feel certain I get into the 50s on Thursday morning. Then again, Pittsburgh recorded a low of 59 yesterday as well. But yesterday was just an ugly day here, a high of 82 and a low of 59, not a drop of rain, a fairly sunny afternoon, dewpoints near 60 all day, and a beautiful sunset.

I can’t remember which model broke first from the consensus that next weekend would be cool, but that one looks like it will win this round.

Terrible day for you.  LOL.

I remember one or some of them started showing the trough getting elongated then setting up too far to our North East.  Much more zonal look to the GFS right now. 

You guys added ten pages to this thread since Friday, wowsers!  Enjoyed a nice weekend of swimming, landscaping, and imbibing.  Got .75" from the storms on saturday but despite being warned never witnessed anything you'd call severe.  Looks like the forecast is hot and dry with a side of smoke.  You can really see the thicker smoke sitting over Canada on the visible imagery, which I guess is supposed to work its way down into our area more as the day goes on.  As someone else mentioned, I'm a little surprised there is no mention of this from CTP in the AFD.  Overall, nothing too exciting on the horizon weather-wise. 

Just now, Mount Joy Snowman said:

You guys added ten pages to this thread since Friday, wowsers!  Enjoyed a nice weekend of swimming, landscaping, and imbibing.  Got .75" from the storms on saturday but despite being warned never witnessed anything you'd call severe.  Looks like the forecast is hot and dry with a side of smoke.  You can really see the thicker smoke sitting over Canada on the visible imagery, which I guess is supposed to work its way down into our area more as the day goes on.  As someone else mentioned, I'm a little surprised there is no mention of this from CTP in the AFD.  Overall, nothing too exciting on the horizon weather-wise. 

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how you made out on Saturday, especially from the early afternoon storm. I would have thought you got more than what you did...or maybe you did get a decent amount from that and hardly any from round #2. I got .23" from the 1pm storm, .66" from the evening round, and then .03" after midnight for an "event" total of .92"

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how you made out on Saturday, especially from the early afternoon storm. I would have thought you got more than what you did...or maybe you did get a decent amount from that and hardly any from round #2. I got .23" from the 1pm storm, .66" from the evening round, and then .03" after midnight for an "event" total of .92"

I wasn't home all day Saturday so not really sure how things broke out but it did seem the line of storms later in the evening was weakening a bit as it moved east so not shocking those to my west got a bit more.  Glad to hear you did well, as it looks like we may go a while without anything significant.  #DogDays

11 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I wasn’t online much this weekend either, but certainly was an interesting read RE: severe weather and some of yinz finally scoring a good rain. There weren’t even that many sports posts in those 10 pages!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

As it should be...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Voyager said:

As it should be...

Certainly not disagreeing with that. I will say the mid 80s are much more palatable in a year like this one where they are much more prevalent. I like the cool downs, but 85 is a lot easier to stomach when the pattern doesn’t oscillate between hot and seasonable with no cool parts.

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Certainly not disagreeing with that. I will say the mid 80s are much more palatable in a year like this one where they are much more prevalent. I like the cool downs, but 85 is a lot easier to stomach when the pattern doesn’t oscillate between hot and seasonable with no cool parts.

Mid 80's is fine for summer be we are so far over average for the season, half way through, it is not unreasonable to ask for a few days staying in the 60's or 70's.  We got one yesterday and I suspect we get one more in the next 10 days. 

• Like 1