• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Summer 2021

11 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Bingo. Light NNW wind. I knew I was missing something. Thanks!

Add to that, I should know better. The flow has W PA on the eastern edge of that ridge so of course the winds would be out of the north. Damn work getting in the way of hobbies again. LOL.

10 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Add to that, I should know better. The flow has W PA on the eastern edge of that ridge so of course the winds would be out of the north. Damn work getting in the way of hobbies again. LOL.

The way I look at it...the models are never wrong (Edit-In the way they have been programmed) in coming to their conclusion.  The parts they use to come to that conclusion might be wrong in apparent weather but if everything happens the way they depict through the column, winds, etc....they would be right.  So if it showed something there is always a reason for it.  

26 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The way I look at it...the models are never wrong (Edit-In the way they have been programmed) in coming to their conclusion.  The parts they use to come to that conclusion might be wrong in apparent weather but if everything happens the way they depict through the column, winds, etc....they would be right.  So if it showed something there is always a reason for it.  

And that’s true too. Presumably if two days hypothetically had the exact same atmospheric conditions at the exact same time of the year, they would always be exactly identical RE: observed weather.

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

And that’s true too. Presumably if two days hypothetically had the exact same atmospheric conditions at the exact same time of the year, they would always be exactly identical RE: observed weather.

Imagine if the models were better figuring out the variables?  There would be no weather boards.  (as has been said here before). 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Imagine if the models were better figuring out the variables?  There would be no weather boards.  (as has been said here before). 

Hypothetically there could and probably will come a day when this hobby is ruined by technology and, well, science. I’m glad I’ll be dead long before then.

Bulk shear values are actually pretty impressive compared to previous days across PA. I picked the Harrisburg area as a pinpoint for SPC tornado climatology, the red bars represent current values. I'm not expecting any tors per-say, but low LCLs, high bulk shear, high supercell composite values, high CAPE, high STP values means it's certainly not out of the question. Problem always seems to be mid-level lapse rates around here, they are on the meager side if you're looking for something to nitpick and enjoy severe weather.

Capture.thumb.PNG.4fb0570119ac96d72368983f992efda5.PNG

Capture2.thumb.PNG.27fcf0ee2ee6ab621f87685b037d09bc.PNG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Newman said:

Bulk shear values are actually pretty impressive compared to previous days across PA. I picked the Harrisburg area as a pinpoint for SPC tornado climatology, the red bars represent current values. I'm not expecting any tors per-say, but low LCLs, high bulk shear, high supercell composite values, high CAPE, high STP values means it's certainly not out of the question. Problem always seems to be mid-level lapse rates around here, they are on the meager side if you're looking for something to nitpick and enjoy severe weather.

Capture.thumb.PNG.4fb0570119ac96d72368983f992efda5.PNG

Capture2.thumb.PNG.27fcf0ee2ee6ab621f87685b037d09bc.PNG

Lapse rates get quite a bit better around 80, right? Last I looked at least that was forecast. 

17 minutes ago, canderson said:

Lapse rates get quite a bit better around 80, right? Last I looked at least that was forecast. 

Looks like Low level lapse rates will slowly improve through the day as the residual cloud cover from the east continues to burn off. That's almost a given, the surface heating will almost always bump LLLRs to >7C/km range. MLLRs are forecast by the RAP to improve throughout the day as well, into the evening. In fact, the SCP is expected to increase from the already high value its at right now, likely aided by the increased lapse rates. Same with helicity values.... basically what I'm getting at is things are conducive for tornados later. Whether or not we can get any is of course the big question. With the cold front approaching from the west, only into the Indiana region, I think western areas will see the greatest area/influence of enhanced frontal lifting so hence why much of the CAMs keep convection further to the west. We'll see though, I'll be keeping an eye out. It's been active here in Lanco recently, that's for sure

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

Bingo. Light NNW wind. I knew I was missing something. Thanks!

Ha I do the same thing all the time, see the heights and no precip and wonder why temps don't align and then it hits me, aaaaahhhhhh surface winds, and sure enough......

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Sun's been out a while here now. But severe looks more toward middle of the region, Williamsport-ish area. The severe is most likely to ramp up as it gets dark, too, as weird as that sounds. 

Models have been keying on that, similar to last night, don't let your guard down when the sun goes down, particularly those up around the Lycoming Valley......

7 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Ha I do the same thing all the time, see the heights and no precip and wonder why temps don't align and then it hits me, aaaaahhhhhh surface winds, and sure enough......

But the map in question was this, so yeah, major brain fart. Some things just scream northerly flow.3F4AD44C-0011-43BB-A07C-CC1FD52E6531.thumb.jpeg.f166c8057a5cbea0e1800526ff3fcf58.jpeg

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

But the map in question was this, so yeah, major brain fart.3F4AD44C-0011-43BB-A07C-CC1FD52E6531.thumb.jpeg.f166c8057a5cbea0e1800526ff3fcf58.jpeg

Oh yeah I gotchya.....sometimes I'm zoomed it too far to get the big picture as well, first day stuff haha.....

38 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Ugggghhh!  My dew point just hit 79 degrees!  That's about as high as it can ever get around here.  "Luckily" my temp is only 87 degrees with humidity at 76% so the heat index is only 101. :weep:

Tell me about it brotha, I have a dew of 80 to go along with a temp of 90 for a heat index of 108!  Think my dew may have spiked a touch from a mini pop-up cell that rolled over me earlier and dropped a few hundredths of an inch, just gnarly outside.....

3 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Oh yeah I gotchya.....sometimes I'm zoomed it too far to get the big picture as well, first day stuff haha.....

Tell me about it brotha, I have a dew of 80 to go along with a temp of 90 for a heat index of 108!  Think my dew may have spiked a touch from a mini pop-up cell that rolled over me earlier and dropped a few hundredths of an inch, just gnarly outside.....

Wait...you got rain and I didn't? How did this happen? :lmao:

13 minutes ago, Voyager said:

We are still solid overcast and even fog on the top of the Blue Mountain on 309. We need to clear, and fast, for anything significant to happen later, but I'm not feeling it for areas east of 81 and south of 80 right now.

This is what it's like here right now at 3:30pm.

FB_IMG_1626204784845.jpg