• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Summer 2021

1 hour ago, Anduril said:

Looks like the worst of it went South of you guys Milton / Lewisburg def took some strong winds

I guess it did.

We never got a big show.  Rain and thunder and lightening that never got louder than the TV, that was it. Believe it or not, winds never got above 8 miles an hour at Montoursville Airport five miles away!  See for yourself.  I can't really understand it myself.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/pa/montoursville/KIPT/date/2021-7-11

We got the goods...sort of. I believe the line weakened some at it got here as there was a continuous lightning/thunder event to my west, but as it neared, the lightning became more infrequent.

We never (to this point anyway) got the instantaneous flash/boom that I so desperately crave. Wind toped out at 12.5 mph, and so far, with the heaviest rain east of me already, got 0.67" as of this post.

On to the next one some other day I suppose...

***edited to add that the radar looked really good as it passed through, but it didn't seem to correlate with ground truth***

1 hour ago, CarlislePaWx said:

I did avoid anything approaching severe.  I've had several episodes of lightning and thunder, nothing out of the ordinary though.  Briefly very heavy rain but then back to moderate.  Picked up 0.15" of new precip with this part and 0.22" total since midnight.

Looks like you are tacking on now.

28 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Family is on vacation, so I have no idea how hard the Danville/Bloomsburg area got hit. Looked like a bow echo moving through there...

That's part of my route tomorrow morning as well. If I see any damage, I'll let you know.

13 minutes ago, Voyager said:

That's part of my route tomorrow morning as well. If I see any damage, I'll let you know.

Thanks! Sort of like Tamaqua, the ridges around Danville seem to direct the worst storms just to the North towards Benton/Berwick....or just to the south towards Elysburg.

8 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

MDT is now running a precip surplus for the year!

MDT recorded 2.17 inches of precip yesterday. 

Precip for the year is now at 22.40 and the average through yesterday is 22.23 inches.

Sounds like your green grass will continue.  Most of the LSV probably stays off the drought map this week now.  I was told we would be put under D0 drought on the Thursday map this week as of now but I have seem them change their mind before and not sure they put a smallish area on yet. The person I know is not the decision maker. 

Canderson commented on the SPC and I think the HRRR needs an "accommodation" as well.  It predicted the line would hit a wall just as it entered the LSV and fade off to the NE and although it was a bit too far NW with where it happened, the actual result vs. the forecast is pretty good.  Here is a HRRR from later yesterday afternoon along with estimated radar results.  I would gladly take this level of accuracy from it any day. 

image.png.785e7116f819baabdd2cfbbbe18e81d7.png

image.thumb.png.1960e741119d53b255fa8656abc724bf.png

14 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Poof, its gone (or at least not in that location....Central Canada. 

I saw that. The GFS has been very consistent that the north central US and adjacent portions of Canada get extremely hot (approaching all time record levels in some instances), but most runs don’t translate that ridge east. At least not anything beyond garden variety heat.

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I saw that. The GFS has been very consistent that the north central US and adjacent portions of Canada get extremely hot (approaching all time record levels in some instances), but most runs don’t translate that ridge east. At least not anything beyond garden variety heat.

You used the word Doldrums and that is what I feel like looking at the GFS and Euro.  Same thing.  Some days struggle to break 80 and others get into the low 90's.  But most 82-88 (cooler for you).  Lots of daily storm chances but I normally do not do well with that here.  Harrisburg keeps stealing our "thunder".   I did see the N Central US heat that keeps showing up.  Not palouse level but pretty extreme. 

Pleasantly surprised to see .59" in the gauge this morning from some overnight action, nothing like what the Harrisburg area saw but I'll take it.  After only getting ~1" for the prior month I matched that in the last three days; again, nothing like what some other areas saw but much needed nonetheless.  Looks like a great chance later today for some people to cash in again.  Summer rolls on.....

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

You used the word Doldrums and that is what I feel like looking at the GFS and Euro.  Same thing.  Some days struggle to break 80 and others get into the low 90's.  But most 82-88 (cooler for you).  Lots of daily storm chances but I normally do not do well with that here.  Harrisburg keeps stealing our "thunder".   I did see the N Central US heat that keeps showing up.  Not palouse level but pretty extreme. 

Stop talking dirty to me....

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

Definitely not Palouse/Pacific Northwest in general levels. Usually the ridge sits in a location where the Dakotas get the brunt of the heat, but their state records are 120 and 121 and very difficult to break. In some runs, the ridge axis sits slightly farther east where the MN record of 115 could be threatened somewhere in the western part of the state, and even a few where MSP’s all timer of 108 could be threatened. But that’s the thing, that region has also had a bout with extreme heat this summer, but it was in early June so it wasn’t all time records being threatened. Seems like the pattern this summer is for the extreme, all time record heat to just bounce back and forth between the southwest, Pacific Northwest, and north central states and largely skip the rest of the country. Not so coincidentally, these are the areas most affected by drought.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Definitely not Palouse/Pacific Northwest in general levels. Usually the ridge sits in a location where the Dakotas get the brunt of the heat, but their state records are 120 and 121 and very difficult to break. In some runs, the ridge axis sits slightly farther east where the MN record of 115 could be threatened somewhere in the western part of the state, and even a few where MSP’s all timer of 108 could be threatened. But that’s the thing, that region has also had a bout with extreme heat this summer, but it was in early June so it wasn’t all time records being threatened. Seems like the pattern this summer is for the extreme, all time record heat to just bounce back and forth between the southwest, Pacific Northwest, and north central states and largely skip the rest of the country. Not so coincidentally, these are the areas most affected by drought.

You bring up an interesting/extra point in saying extreme, all time...at least the way I read your post.  Summer heat has been extreme for much of the country and locals in each area have certainly taken notice but I feel like as a whole we are in this mode of hyper drama where daily extremes are almost expected now.  Not just in weather but in all phases of life.    It has been something coming on for years but the daily covid updates and people sitting at home seemed to to really stoke it.  I believe that 20 years ago the Palouse and Mid Central heat waves would be constant headline news now you have to search to find them on a typical news web site.   Another example would be the US Basketball team.  That loss to Nigeria was SUPER historic on several levels.  One of the biggest upsets in sports history.  Yet its just a news item that comes and goes with the daily drama.  

3 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Never forget that here in Lancaster County we have Bird in Hand, Paradise, Intercourse, and Blue Ball all in a similar corridor in the heart of Amish country haha.

That fact caused many a Floridian to giggle when I mentioned it over the years. There are definitely people who think the Amish have some deviant thought processes but ironically all of those names are perfectly fine if you take them for their true meaning and not what culture has turned them in to.  LOL