• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Summer 2021

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

That's awesome Carlisle, sounds like you're having an incredible time!  I always tell people you have to get to Alaska at least once, truly unspeakable levels of beauty.  How cool is Whittier, with the old one lane rail cave being the only way in or out of the town!?  I remember feeling like we were in another world when we came out on the other side with the Caribbean-like turquois waters and the glaciers seemingly emanating right out from the water.  If you get a chance, on the way to or from Denali hit up the small touristy village of Talkeetna, cool place.  You can walk down to the river and get some incredible views of Denali towering over the landscape even though it's like 60 miles away.  The daylight is always wild and it's not like it gets totally dark after sunset haha.  I remember coming out of the bars at like 2am with my wife and it was still plenty light out, like a civil twilight.  Sounds like you are getting nice classic Alaska weather, whereas when we were there they were having a record heat wave in which Anchorage hit 90 for the first time in its history.  I would much rather have what you're having ha.  Anyway, enjoy the rest of your trip and feel free to stop back in and let us know how things are going.  Cheers!

Oh, almost forgot, Hatcher Pass is a place well worth stopping between Anchorage and Talkeetna.  You can swim in a fresh mountain top lake one minute and then just a few steps away play in some snow, stunning.

Alaska is incredible - fortunate that my parents used to live there, and I had a chance to go a few times. :)  On my last trip, it was in the 60s in Anchorage, but over 80 up in Healy outside of Denali National Park. My personal favorite place though is Seward - sitting along the Pacific, taking in the salt air like you would at any east coast beach, while being surrounded by snow-capped mountains was...exhilarating. That's a combo you can't experience in too many places in the U.S. 

About 45 minutes so far of light but (mostly) steady rain in central/east York county. It’s about 75 and I can almost hear the parched grass and shrubbery sighing in relief. 

I visited Alaska in the mid 90s, traveled between Anchorage and Fairbanks, and yes, it was absolutely stunning. Homer is one of the towns that sticks out in my memory, but it was all quite breathtaking. Glad you’re getting to see it, Carlisle!

49 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Alaska is incredible - fortunate that my parents used to live there, and I had a chance to go a few times. :) On my last trip, it was in the 60s in Anchorage, but over 80 up in Healy outside of Denali National Park. My personal favorite place though is Seward - sitting along the Pacific, taking in the salt air like you would at any east coast beach, while being surrounded by snow-capped mountains was...exhilarating. That's a combo you can't experience in too many places in the U.S. 

That whole Kenai Fjords area is amazing.  We had to have our day cruise out of Seward canceled when we were there due to smoke from the wildfires, which were plentiful due to the aforementioned heat wave they were experiencing. Good stuff Training!

So, I finished June with 2.33" on ten days of measurable precip.  Pretty remarkable that for Harrisburg it appears this will be the third hottest June on record despite carrying an anomaly of only 3 degrees above average, and yes I understand those anomalies only compare against the most recent 30-year period, not the entire period of record (in reality it's more like 4.4 degrees above average), but still......

15 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Next weeks moderate tropical system has survived a GFS cycle...so something to watch.  Gets much closer to the LSV this time.   Also really wondering if this Sat is going to be a bit more rainy again.  

GFS is really bullish on running that storm right up the coast. We’ll see what the 12z brings. Seems the GFS is out on an island with it.

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It held serve.   TPA is a bad spot for that path though its not a Cat 3 or 4. 

Yeah that’s a rough path for some areas. Doesn’t look like major effects on PA, though maybe a slightly above average rainfall period for most parts.

18 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Yeah that’s a rough path for some areas. Doesn’t look like major effects on PA, though maybe a slightly above average rainfall period for most parts.

I think we would need it to loop out over the panhandle then have a similar curved trajectory.  If it did that it would in theory be much stronger at landfall making it more of a major player all around.  Of interest is that it would be currently hitting TPA around the time the Bolts may finish their Stanley Cup run.  

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

I think we would need it to loop out over the panhandle then have a similar curved trajectory.  If it did that it would in theory be much stronger at landfall making it more of a major player all around.  Of interest is that it would be currently hitting TPA around the time the Bolts may finish their Stanley Cup run.  

Cancel the Cup. The new city of champions doesn’t need another.