• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Summer 2021

10 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I have an Ambient Weather Station - not the most high tech nor super expensive (about $200 for my model) but it has been extremely accurate, save for wind. And that is on me, because I didn't mount it high enough nor far enough away from my house to get accurate wind measurements. Overall though, I've been super pleased with my station! 

So you’d recommend for someone in the market for a weather station?

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Latest 5 day QPF map from WPC took most of eastern PA from 3+" down to about 1.5". If that happens, great, but the trend is not our friend as Canderson pointed out. 

I think some people get 3-5" and some get 1/2" to 1".  Those large scale 4-5" totals on the EC and CMC were never a likely outcome. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Yes - if you're shopping on somewhat of a budget. For what I paid, I'm very pleased. Temp, dewpoint, humidity, pressure, rainfall has been very accurate. Ambient stations start at about $150. Just make sure to mount it as far from buildings as possible, and try to mount it high. Mine is at about 15', it really should be at least 30' if you're looking for accurate wind measurements. 

I think (?) our friend @Voyager might have an Ambient stations as well...

11 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I have an Ambient Weather Station - not the most high tech nor super expensive (about $200 for my model) but it has been extremely accurate, save for wind. And that is on me, because I didn't mount it high enough nor far enough away from my house to get accurate wind measurements. Overall though, I've been super pleased with my station! 

Good to know.  You're certainly not the first person to have issues with siting the anemometer.  I took mine down as well due to being too shielded from the winds.  It was only measuring about half of actual wind speed, so not really worth having this weird looking instrument mounted to my deck that my wife hated haha.

If you want a good wind reading near us check out the following WU my buddy just started, mounted up high atop his roof, should be able to get some impressive gust readings up there.....

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KPAMOUNT181

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yes - if you're shopping on somewhat of a budget. For what I paid, I'm very pleased. Temp, dewpoint, humidity, pressure, rainfall has been very accurate. Ambient stations start at about $150. Just make sure to mount it as far from buildings as possible, and try to mount it high. Mine is at about 15', it really should be at least 30' if you're looking for accurate wind measurements. 

My wife would divorce me if I spent a bunch of money on a weather station, so I’m shopping on a budget. LOL.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

My wife would divorce me if I spent a bunch of money on a weather station, so I’m shopping on a budget. LOL.

My wife pays zero attention to my weather antics, but she does support me investing some time and money into my obsession. Her most uttered line over the past 10 years has been "well...what are you and your fellow weenies up to today?" :) 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I think (?) our friend @Voyager might have an Ambient stations as well...

i need a new one as well. I'll check this brand out. I'd like to have a new one up and running before winter

17 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

2 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

i need a new one as well. I'll check this brand out. I'd like to have a new one up and running before winter

Spend some time and read reviews - most are positive on the Ambient stations. Personally, the price point is it's most attractive selling point. I really don't need a $500 investment when I can get "the basics" for a third of the cost. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

My wife pays zero attention to my weather antics, but she does support me investing some time and money into my obsession. Her most uttered line over the past 10 years has been "well...what are you and your fellow weenies up to today?" :) 

Indeed, mine is certainly is cool with me having hobbies and interests, I don’t want to convey the impression that it’s an unhealthy marriage where I’m not allowed to have hobbies. But at the end of the day, if there’s an unspoken limit on how much I can spend on said hobbies, I’m going to defer to her. But yeah, she couldn’t care less about weather (beyond the mundane things like “can we walk the dog at lunchtime” or “will it rain today?”) or my spending copious amounts of time looking at model runs and posting on weather forums.

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Spend some time and read reviews - most are positive on the Ambient stations. Personally, the price point is it's most attractive selling point. I really don't need a $500 investment when I can get "the basics" for a third of the cost. 

Will do, thank you for the advice. My idea is more or less spend a small amount with the initial investment then if I decide I want something fancy 2 or 5 or 10 years from now, I can re-evaluate.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I think some people get 3-5" and some get 1/2" to 1".  Those large scale 4-5" totals on the EC and CMC were never a likely outcome. 

spot on.....pun intended.  Gonna be localized qpf maxes unless we get some training (were the front to stall as earliers depictions were showing the possibility.  The more progressive look still gives most of us an appreciable event tomorrow, but weekend looks drier due to progressive boundary eeking too far SE for us.  Otoh, it looks a bit less ridgy and more active in the mid/long range (based on model watchology....not tellies).  That's too deep a dive for me in summer. ;)

I went back 20 more years to 1980 and 1994 is a major competitor to holding off this June as the hottest ever at MDT.  May need [mention=4667]Jns2183[/mention] to see if he has stats back father sans me going through them one at a time.  1994 was 3.7 above normal which is probably more than 2021 will end up and  as there are only 3 days left to skew it up.  So guessing 2021 will end up being top 5 but not hottest June ever.  June 9.1994 had a high of 80 and a low of 48 which is a big split for these parts.

Here is the data for June going back to the 1880’s sorted by highest mean of the max, min, and average. This June is ranked like around 35-45th warmest out of all years. 6e8bdffa66d10542ed59ea8aef436b53.jpg
b761956780e416cf99445a2eca153566.jpg
ac04d5580cf1cb838ebf26b0961b717a.jpg

5 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Here is the data for June going back to the 1880’s sorted by highest mean of the max, min, and average. This June is ranked like around 35-45th warmest out of all years. 

Hmm, you must be looking at something different (and different than what Tim posted yesterday) for MDT.  Your first graphic says Pittsburgh?   Departure from normal wise, this June will be #1 or # 2 since 1980 but those numbers do move each year.   I thought Tim's data was using average temp though. I believe MDT is at 85.1 as of this AM. 

33 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Hmm, you must be looking at something different (and different than what Tim posted yesterday) for MDT.  Your first graphic says Pittsburgh?   Departure from normal wise, this June will be #1 or # 2 since 1980 but those numbers do move each year.   I thought Tim's data was using average temp though. I believe MDT is at 85.1 as of this AM. 

Yeah, that’s our data, haha. MDT is at 75.1 (I assume that’s a typo on your part). Should go up to about 75.5 if today’s average is somewhere around 86, which cross-referenced with what I posted yesterday would be #3 behind 1994 and some other year much longer ago. Hard to believe that being just 3 degrees above normal in June is top 3, so maybe I’m wrong.