• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Summer 2021

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Its is quite delightful out here right now.   Been a great two days of weather.   Another windows open and fans night with low to mid 50's and maybe an upper 40's.  Last one for a bit though. 

39-40°F this morning in the Northwest of France

• Like 2

I just stopped to look closer at  the Miami area building that collapsed.  The pics I saw this AM looked like a small portion but just saw a security video and two whole sections went down.  Its a terrible tragedy.  Have to think hundreds are gone including dozens of animal friends.  Scary.  Had to say something to mention prayers for them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Correct, topping out at 100 on the 19th.  To answer Sauss's inquiry, we went 93-97-94-96-97 from July 2-6 last year at MDT.  On the final day of that heat wave I had a T'storm that dropped 1/2" in ten minutes.  Last year set the record for hottest July ever at Harrisburg (avg. temp of 82.2, breaking the 81.8 from 1999), including a record 22 days above 90.  Lancaster was also the hottest July on record.

Edit: Also the temp never got below 67 for the entire month.

I wasn’t sure if I was misremembering, but my memory of last summer was that it felt like a start-to-finish heat wave. Even June and August seemed ridiculously hot but that might have been more an issue with insane humidity than heat.

I went for a long, leisurely walk with my elderly dog tonight between 7:40 and 9:00. When we were coming back the garage thermometer showed 67 degrees. It was a glorious evening. Normally I really enjoy the heat but my tail-wagging companion doesn’t do so well in it anymore, so I have a much greater appreciation for these cooler days and nights. (and a newfound dread for the real heat we’re probably going to see soon)

7 hours ago, canderson said:

The big difference from last year is the lack of humid air. 

Thank you, I thought maybe the humidity  (and not just the actual temps) was what made last June and much of August feel so oppressive. July was a double whammy with the record setting heat.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Good call early on in the run.  Euro should be a fan favorite.  Cuts the heatwave in half, lessens its intensity, then provides water relief followed by a very Decent Sat-Mon.  @sauss06 will approve.  He gets his near 80 and dry for most of the 4th weekend even if you extrapolate it out a bit.   A huge improvement from 0Z in my book.

I approve of this message

14 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

I just stopped to look closer at  the Miami area building that collapsed.  The pics I saw this AM looked like a small portion but just saw a security video and two whole sections went down.  Its a terrible tragedy.  Have to think hundreds are gone including dozens of animal friends.  Scary.  Had to say something to mention prayers for them.

truly unbelievable event. some of the video/images are crazy.  

7 hours ago, canderson said:

The big difference from last year is the lack of humid air. 

i was thinking this yesterday while discussing last year 4th of July. that entire week was very humid

another great night of sleeping with the windows open

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

6z GFS was pretty torchy for me.

Yea, I was speaking of that super trough at 0Z.  EC did pull back from that and its just a "trough" now but still best case I think out of the 3.  GFS and CMC have different plans.  6Z GFS high at MDT, for July 4th, was upper 60's to 70 due to rain/clouds. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

I doubt KPIT hits 90 out your way tomorrow but would not be surprising to see a lot of local Wunderground temps get it over your way.  

Yeah agreed, it won’t happen at the airport tomorrow but maybe Sunday and Monday. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Streak said:

I wasn’t sure if I was misremembering, but my memory of last summer was that it felt like a start-to-finish heat wave. Even June and August seemed ridiculously hot but that might have been more an issue with insane humidity than heat.

I went for a long, leisurely walk with my elderly dog tonight between 7:40 and 9:00. When we were coming back the garage thermometer showed 67 degrees. It was a glorious evening. Normally I really enjoy the heat but my tail-wagging companion doesn’t do so well in it anymore, so I have a much greater appreciation for these cooler days and nights. (and a newfound dread for the real heat we’re probably going to see soon)

You're right in that the humidity just seemed like it wouldn't quit last year.  However, June was within one degree of average and only had three days hit 90.  August was three degrees above average, driven primarily by warm nights from the aforementioned humidity.  A couple of notes from my spreadsheet for those months, for the few who care ha.....

On June 3rd we had a derecho come through in the afternoon from which Reading recorded an 83mph gust.  That was also my first 90 degree day of the year.

August ended up being a very wet month at my house, with a total of 8.34".  On August 3-4, Tropical Storm Isaias passed over the PA/NJ border and brought 5-8" to parts of eastern PA, only 2.3" for me.  Some training tropical downpours rolled through on August 7th that brought perhaps some of my heaviest rates ever witnessed, with .5" falling in 5 minutes, .8" in 10 mins, and ~1.4" in 20 mins. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

You're right in that the humidity just seemed like it wouldn't quit last year.  However, June was within one degree of average and only had three days hit 90.  August was three degrees above average, driven primarily by warm nights from the aforementioned humidity.  A couple of notes from my spreadsheet for those months, for the few who care ha.....

On June 3rd we had a derecho come through in the afternoon from which Reading recorded an 83mph gust.  That was also my first 90 degree day of the year.

August ended up being a very wet month at my house, with a total of 8.34".  On August 3-4, Tropical Storm Isaias passed over the PA/NJ border and brought 5-8" to parts of eastern PA, only 2.3" for me.  Some training tropical downpours rolled through on August 7th that brought perhaps some of my heaviest rates ever witnessed, with .5" falling in 5 minutes, .8" in 10 mins, and ~1.4" in 20 mins. 

I agree.  This June, though coming with some very comfortable days, has been much warmer than last.  We already have 6 90 degree days and may get into double digits for 90's before the month is over.  And the low temps last June were much more comfortable overall than this June. 

6 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Wait a minute, yinz keep spreadsheets? I’m doing this whole weather enthusiast thing all wrong.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

Wait a minute, yinz keep spreadsheets? I’m doing this whole weather enthusiast thing all wrong.

Well, I do, let's not lump everyone else in with my level of weirdness haha.  Anyone else out there keep track of their weather data?  Admittedly, I only track precip, not temps, and then I add notes to describe any type of abnormal or extreme events.  I still have to use NWS when it comes to day-to-day temps.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Well, I do, let's not lump everyone else in with my level of weirdness haha.  Anyone else out there keep track of their weather data?  Admittedly, I only track precip, not temps, and then I add notes to describe any type of abnormal or extreme events.  I still have to use NWS when it comes to day-to-day temps.

There are several people on here whole routinely come back with "I received this much on this date" comments so I feel like quite a few are keeping records in some manner. 

5 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Just snow, or record heat/cold

for an example- November 24, 2014 we had a record high 68 that day.....that was just a quick check of my notes :blink:

3 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Well the time may be now for me to invest in a weather station and start keeping a spreadsheet. I’d ask my wife to get me one for my birthday but I probably have to enable my own hobby.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

Just snow, or record heat/cold

for an example- November 24, 2014 we had a record high 68 that day.....that was just a quick check of my notes :blink:

Sauss, I have to quibble with you here, I believe we set the record at 69 that day, or are you talking about your own personal readings and not the official MDT data?  Yes, I'm annoying haha.  Funny enough, that November actually ended up quite cold at 4.5 degrees below normal and also contained the Thanksgiving slop storm where I got 3.5" of snow (I believe maybe more to the north and west?).  Also that's the month where Buffalo received the historic lake effect event of 5-7 feet of snow.  I'll stop now.

• Like 1