• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 20th, 2021 Severe Weather Event

Was not too far north when it crossed 83 to my south. Couldn’t see much on the way there.

Started going down the path east in Burr Ridge by 55 and 83. Got a flat tire with 2 nails in the tire. Put the spare and came back home. 

Some roads were blocked by branches. Saw some duct work. Didn’t get a chance to go further south down towards the path. But seems it lifted/weakened not to far after that though. 

So far the damage looks worse just west where I got off 83

I drove home right through the second QLCS.  I had to slow down to 30 mph at one point on I-96 as I could only see about 50 feet in front of me and was scared of hydroplaning.  I was so busy driving didn’t even see the tornado warnings.  Just before that I was watching a scuddy supercell base out ahead of the line somewhere near Niles.

• Like 2

That turned into a night I'll never forget at the weather office to say the least. The tornado tracked just north (less than a mile as the crow flies) from my house and then probably a quarter mile or less from my mother in law's house.

A main west east street (Bailey Road) just north of my area has an entire row of powerpoles knocked over along with large trees blocking it. There's a large tree blocking the north south road (Coach Drive) through my subdivision (Naper Carriage Hill). My area was relatively unscathed just south of the tornado circulation where it appears we got the RFD like winds on the south part of the MV, leading to spotty tree damage, though relatively significant in spots.

I spoke to someone with Naperville Electric when I was checking out the damage at Coach and Bailey and it sounds like the fairly bad damage goes back to just south of Bailey a bit to the west of Washington Street. Since I can basically roll out of bed to the damage, I might be helping out with the survey.

Pretty shook and wired from this experience. It's kind of a helpless feeling when it hits so close to home. But also can say that these are the nights that make this job rewarding as we can literally save lives with the warnings we put out. Hope no one I know doesn't have any friends or family hit by the tornado and that there were no fatalities. I'm also saddened by parts of the town I've called home since I moved out here in July 2010 along with nearby suburbs being struck by terrible damage from this tornado.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Ugh. I had all but written this event off for sig default_tornado1.gif potential due to lack of afternoon recovery. Why do they have to happen at night, from a QLCS, in a city?

Seriously, it's hard not to get lulled a bit. Thinking back to how things unfolded, it was a dead ringer for me to June 30th 2014, just shifted north. As it turned out, both that event and tonight had quite similar and extremely high end environments. I think we handled the event pretty well, but in hindsight, we could have/should have hit the strong tornado threat harder based on how the environment evolved. Going back to my first statement, I can absolutely say that the first round not producing like we thought it would be capable of changed expectations some for round 2. In that the data pointing to a higher end threat kind of sneaks up on us in a way. It happened with the 2nd derecho on 6/30/14 and in a way did tonight.

We were thinking the same thing - we needed the rain, but didn't need *this* to get the much needed rain. Horrible situation, strong QLCS tornado at night in highly populated suburbs when a lot of people are already sleeping going into the work week.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Seriously, it's hard not to get lulled a bit. Thinking back to how things unfolded, it was a dead ringer for me to June 30th 2014, just shifted north. As it turned out, both that event and tonight had quite similar and extremely high end environments. I think we handled the event pretty well, but in hindsight, we could have/should have hit the strong tornado threat harder based on how the environment evolved. Going back to my first statement, I can absolutely say that the first round not producing like we thought it would be capable of changed expectations some for round 2. In that the data pointing to a higher end threat kind of sneaks up on us in a way. It happened with the 2nd derecho on 6/30/14 and in a way did tonight.

We were thinking the same thing - we needed the rain, but didn't need *this* to get the much needed rain. Horrible situation, strong QLCS tornado at night in highly populated suburbs when a lot of people are already sleeping going into the work week.

I chased the 15 hatched in Lie-owa that day and it was completely pointless, zilch in the way of visible, supercell tornadoes*, so comparisons to that day made me go "HELL no!".

*Of course, a week later there was a gorgeous tornado near Traer without a watch even being in effect.

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

That turned into a night I'll never forget at the weather office to say the least. The tornado tracked just north (less than a mile as the crow flies) from my house and then probably a quarter mile or less from my mother in law's house.

A main west east street (Bailey Road) just north of my area has an entire row of powerpoles knocked over along with large trees blocking it. There's a large tree blocking the north south road (Coach Drive) through my subdivision (Naper Carriage Hill). My area was relatively unscathed just south of the tornado circulation where it appears we got the RFD like winds on the south part of the MV, leading to spotty tree damage, though relatively significant in spots.

I spoke to someone with Naperville Electric when I was checking out the damage at Coach and Bailey and it sounds like the fairly bad damage goes back to just south of Bailey a bit to the west of Washington Street. Since I can basically roll out of bed to the damage, I might be helping out with the survey.

Pretty shook and wired from this experience. It's kind of a helpless feeling when it hits so close to home. But also can say that these are the nights that make this job rewarding as we can literally save lives with the warnings we put out. Hope no one I know doesn't have any friends or family hit by the tornado and that there were no fatalities. I'm also saddened by parts of the town I've called home since I moved out here in July 2010 along with nearby suburbs being struck by terrible damage from this tornado.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I live very close to you, on Modaff Rd. about 1/2 mile south of 75th st. We live on a couple of acres, and I have had significant tree damage throughout the yard (one large tree tipped over at the roots, others had their tops snapped off), and had a screen door ripped off its hinges. Fortunately no structural damage to our house. 

• Like 2

For a relatively quiet severe weather season, it has been really bad luck with the relatively few strong tornadoes we have seen going through highly populated areas, and during the nighttime at that.

First, it was the EF3 tornado that tracked through the southern suburbs of Birminggam (Shelby County), then the EF4 tornado that tracked through the southern suburbs of Atlanta (Newnan) and now this other tornado that hit the western suburbs of Chicago (Naperville).

• Like 1

Alright... 

So, as I mentioned last night I took a hit from the Naperville/Woodridge/Darien tornado as it crossed I-355 in Woodridge. As the line of storms approached, I noticed that couplet was organizing. It was set to cross I-355 less than 10 minutes from where I live, and I knew I had just enough time to get there. So we jumped in the car and 8 minutes later we were hit. Driving south on 355 approaching, there were several power flashes off to the right side, even as we came to a stop. Then it rolled us, throwing debris at the car (Hard to see it a lot in the video due to rain). 

After the hit, I spent quite a while out in the damage path, on either side of 355. The damage path is a healthy width, but the significant damage was confined to about a 3 home width or so. Some of the most significant damage I’m guessing could be EF-3, thinking of some of the DI off the top of my head.

• Like 17

4 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

All reports I am seeing are of minor injuries at this time, with the usual caveats of it being very early applying. 

Some were injured enough to be taken to the hospital, but not sure what the criteria is for that.

There is some subjectivity with what I'm saying, but in terms of something hitting more in the core of the Chicago metro area and not toward the fringes, this looks like the most significant hit in a while.  If it does come in at EF3, then there isn't anything like it since the 3/27/1991 tornado that hit southwestern Cook county.  I want to wait for more information though before evaluating its place in Chicago metro tornado history.  

Very fortunate that no fatalities have been reported.  There's probably never a good time of day for something like this to go through a populated area... at night people are sleeping and more people are out and about during the day.  It is a reminder of what can happen and that the area is vulnerable to significant tornado strikes... probably more vulnerable than it has appeared in recent decades which have been on the "quiet" side in that regard.  This was a noteworthy event, but based on multiple past examples, we know we will see something worse one day.  

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

There is some subjectivity with what I'm saying, but in terms of something hitting more in the core of the Chicago metro area and not toward the fringes, this looks like the most significant hit in a while.  If it does come in at EF3, then there isn't anything like it since the 3/27/1991 tornado that hit southwestern Cook county.  I want to wait for more information though before evaluating its place in Chicago metro tornado history.  

Very fortunate that no fatalities have been reported.  There's probably never a good time of day for something like this to go through a populated area... at night people are sleeping and more people are out and about during the day.  It is a reminder of what can happen and that the area is vulnerable to significant tornado strikes... probably more vulnerable than it has appeared in recent decades which have been on the "quiet" side in that regard.  This was a noteworthy event, but based on multiple past examples, we know we will see something worse one day.  

I just hope this acted as a bit of a wake-up call for people, at least for a year or two maybe.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Ugh. I had all but written this event off for sig :twister: potential due to lack of afternoon recovery. Why do they have to happen at night, from a QLCS, in a city?

Yea.  It was horrible for chasing.  The evening stuff along I-30 in Indiana was a bunch of "pulse" supercells that were quickly collapsing in wet downbursts 20 minutes later, and also moving really fast.  Not to mention the roads are terrible these days.  If it wasn't lane closure induced traffic backups on the freeway, it was potholes on the country roads.  Also ran into some roads that were just outright closed with no signed detour to follow.  Lots of exits closed for construction too.  It was pretty maddening.  The one cell I had a nice view of out ahead of the QLCS had some cool structure if only it had not been during the night in an area with trees everywhere.  I saw some good CGs though, some absolute bombs on camera.  That alone made it worth it given how little lightning there has been this year IMBY so far.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WaryWarren said:

Cool guy, a real "bad-ass".

Isn’t it satisfying when you just know without looking at someone’s social media profile that they’re going to have something like this on it, but you look anyway and your intuition is confirmed correct?

Glad everyone in the Midwest appears to have survived yesterday. Scary stuff.

• Like 4

I was originally gonna play the MCV in Illinois but it became evident early on that it was going to be a wash due to a westward propagating MCS in MO the night before. Due to this, I chose to target Marshalltown back on the cold front as I believed odds of destabilization and recovery were higher than on the MCV. I had forgotten my SD card for this chase, so all these are all high-quality iPhone captures.

The first supercell went up and matured rather quickly near Ankeny. But seemed too early for the LLJ and didn't really do a whole lot while I was on it but it did feature high contrast and was quite photogenic at times as Ethan showed above. Despite this, I abandoned it at Searsboro for the storm that was quickly becoming dominant to the SW.

Near Newton at 5:10pm.

38809_d1bfddca297c90caf1cc78d2619ac320.jpg

The first storm came closest to producing at this occlusion here at about 5:45 near Kellogg and it's a shame it lacked the extra kick it needed, because a tornado there would've been wickedly photogenic and I was in the perfect spot to view it.
38810_eafc86b86ac1f79411aa6623c9629717.jpg

The 2nd storm was much more grungy and less photogenic, but never the less a little bit healthier than the first. Needless to say by this point the LLJ had begun to increase and sufficiently enlarge low level hodographs and this is really the only reason I can think of for why the first storm struggled to do much and the 2nd storm produced two tornadoes.

This shot is looking at it as I arrived at 6:35pm

38811_7315d87cf2aa18a388a6e3583162c3ed.jpg

Insert tornado #1 6:44pm

38812_a778623eb2d60d79a0d94595aef2f96a.jpg

and #2 at 7:03pm
IMG_6075.JPG

The storm threw out a huge gust front after this and never really recovered inflow dominance. So I called the chase in Oskaloosa and went to go shoot sunset pics.
38814_29d43c1faf0b38e57aaab11477549986.jpg

These are both unedited. The skies were really *that* saturated.
38815_de0971f9fee2a81fab0d687005bf7394.jpg

38816_b9dff0bcd914feafdc1e8ff0253dd164.jpg

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, hlcater said:

I was originally gonna play the MCV in Illinois but it became evident early on that it was going to be a wash due to a westward propagating MCS in MO the night before. Due to this, I chose to target Marshalltown back on the cold front as I believed odds of destabilization and recovery were higher than on the MCV. I had forgotten my SD card for this chase, so all these are all high-quality iPhone captures.

The first supercell went up and matured rather quickly near Ankeny. But seemed too early for the LLJ and didn't really do a whole lot while I was on it but it did feature high contrast and was quite photogenic at times as Ethan showed above. Despite this, I abandoned it at Searsboro for the storm that was quickly becoming dominant to the SW.

Near Newton at 5:10pm.

38809_d1bfddca297c90caf1cc78d2619ac320.jpg

The first storm came closest to producing at this occlusion here at about 5:45 near Kellogg and it's a shame it lacked the extra kick it needed, because a tornado there would've been wickedly photogenic and I was in the perfect spot to view it.
38810_eafc86b86ac1f79411aa6623c9629717.jpg

The 2nd storm was much more grungy and less photogenic, but never the less a little bit healthier than the first. Needless to say by this point the LLJ had begun to increase and sufficiently enlarge low level hodographs and this is really the only reason I can think of for why the first storm struggled to do much and the 2nd storm produced two tornadoes.

This shot is looking at it as I arrived at 6:35pm

38811_7315d87cf2aa18a388a6e3583162c3ed.jpg

Insert tornado #1 6:44pm

38812_a778623eb2d60d79a0d94595aef2f96a.jpg

and #2 at 7:03pm
IMG_6075.JPG

The storm threw out a huge gust front after this and never really recovered inflow dominance. So I called the chase in Oskaloosa and went to go shoot sunset pics.
38814_29d43c1faf0b38e57aaab11477549986.jpg

These are both unedited. The skies were really *that* saturated.
38815_de0971f9fee2a81fab0d687005bf7394.jpg

38816_b9dff0bcd914feafdc1e8ff0253dd164.jpg

I just realized yesterday was six years to the day from my 2015 chase in almost the exact same area of Iowa...didn't produce any visible tornadoes but did likewise produce a gorgeous sunset-lit mammatus display that is still my avatar pic (mainly because I haven't seen anything better since).

Here's a scuddy wall cloud with circular striations above.  This was near Eau Claire, Michigan, just northeast of Berrien Springs.

Not the best quality photo, but the best I could get at night.  It's a frame extracted from video during a lightning flash. I just didn't have enough time to mess with setting up the tripod.  It would have been a cool timelapse.

meso.jpg

• Like 5

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
350 PM EDT MON JUN 21 2021 /250 PM CDT MON JUN 21 2021/

...NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR 06/21/2021 TORNADO EVENT...

.OVERVIEW...

.FREMONT TORNADO JUNE 21 2021...

A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS MOVED THROUGH NORTHEAST INDIANA AND
SOUTHERN MICHIGAN EARLY MONDAY MORNING WITH WIDESPREAD TREE AND 
POWERLINE DAMAGE. IN ADDITION A BRIEF TORNADO WAS SPAWNED JUST 
WEST OF I-69 NEAR SR127. THIS TORNADO TRACKED EAST HITTING THE 
COUNTRY MEADOWS GOLF COURSE CAUSING EXTENSIVE TREE DAMAGE AND 
DESTROYED A BARN JUST WEST OF FREMONT. THE TORNADO THEN TURNED 
RIGHT, TRACKING THROUGH FREMONT SOUTH OF US127 SNAPPING TREES AND 
DAMAGING ROOFS OF SEVERAL STRUCTURES. THE TORNADO CONTINUED EAST 
SOUTHEAST ACROSS MAINLY OPEN FIELDS, SNAPPING TREES ALONG THE WAY 
BEFORE HEAVILY DAMAGING ANOTHER BARN AND DESTROYING SEVERAL