• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
SVR (iso FF) potential 4P-mid Sat and Mon, then during the day Tue

wdrag

Anyone know why storms usually split right around the Delaware River in Hunterdon County or just east into NJ? We got nothing last night and the storms did their typical split to the north and south of us.

I've heard Round Valley does something to the storms, but just looking for any explanation. Its just weird and happens alot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Poker2015 said:

Anyone know why storms usually split right around the Delaware River in Hunterdon County or just east into NJ? We got nothing last night and the storms did their typical split to the north and south of us.

I've heard Round Valley does something to the storms, but just looking for any explanation. Its just weird and happens alot.

I've wondered this too around Middletown, NY. We DID get reasonably well hit from convection line last nite with lots of lightening, but in watching radar intently over multiple summers, seems like there is some topographic feature that causes storms to "split" in Eastern PA as they are approaching western Orange county....looks like a decent line, then north and south (by 20 miles or so) get hit and we get an impoverished bit of rain and distant thunder.  Seems it happens with non-noreaster snowstorms also. Maybe I'm just a frustrated wishcaster with too small a sample size.  

20 hours ago, Blizzwalker said:

I've wondered this too around Middletown, NY. We DID get reasonably well hit from convection line last nite with lots of lightening, but in watching radar intently over multiple summers, seems like there is some topographic feature that causes storms to "split" in Eastern PA as they are approaching western Orange county....looks like a decent line, then north and south (by 20 miles or so) get hit and we get an impoverished bit of rain and distant thunder.  Seems it happens with non-noreaster snowstorms also. Maybe I'm just a frustrated wishcaster with too small a sample size.  

I'll have to check it out next time on radar for your area too. I always say the town puts up a dome when there are good storms approaching, lol

We usually do pretty well with snow, but good thunderstorms are very rare...I can sometimes even see it happening in the distance just looking outside.

15 minutes ago, Poker2015 said:

I'll have to check it out next time on radar for your area too. I always say the town puts up a dome when there are good storms approaching, lol

We usually do pretty well with snow, but good thunderstorms are very rare...I can sometimes even see it happening in the distance just looking outside.

I've heard that it has to do with the elevation to our west.  When I lived in Piscataway before I moved here, I always noticed this too.  I would always say it is our force field, haha.  

Elevation.jpg

20 hours ago, FPizz said:

I've heard that it has to do with the elevation to our west.  When I lived in Piscataway before I moved here, I always noticed this too.  I would always say it is our force field, haha.  

Elevation.jpg

We all know Branchburg has an invisible dome to deflect everything...haha

That is a pretty big elevation drop there that probably does something to the storms.

• Like 1

Despite the 4 days of activity (tiny area NYS/NJ) Sunday afternoon-evening,  rainfall max's did not repeat over the same area Sat-The, so max amounts under 2" in our area but at least halfway decent amounts occurred LI, NW NJ, parts of se NYS-CT.  Still, not a big deal and continues the seasonable pattern. 

Screen_Shot_2021-06-24_at_5_49.11_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-06-24_at_5_50.08_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-06-24_at_5_52.04_AM.png

• Like 1