Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter 2021

doncat

4 hours ago, MJO812 said:

I want to track tropical storms 

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Wait for  late August and September.  Tropical season for us starts August 20th.

First I want some hot and dry heat with clear blue skies no humidity no rain and no bugs.

Good afternoon, Anthony, Liberty. I want to wake up with a mid twenties functional body. I guess we all have equal chances. As always …..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Maureen said:

The power of water demonstrated perfectly here. Those cars are floating around like toys.

Really extreme situation when 8 inches of rain falls in one hour. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/dozen-central-chinese-cities-under-water-river-banks-burst-2021-07-20/

In Zhengzhou, the capital of Henan on the banks of the Yellow River, more than 200 mm of rain fell in one hour on Tuesday, forcing the city to stop all subway train services.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

and what about what happened in Germany?  Horrendous!

Zones of record drought and flash flooding across the entire Northern Hemisphere. These stuck weather patterns are enhancing the dry and wet extremes across the globe. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, uncle W said:

the solution that sounds simple but might work is plant trees and stop raping the rain forests...

Estimates are that it could work, but only on a huge scale, such as adding a trillion trees.

Iirc, the North Eastern US has reforested pretty substantially in the last century, so we just have to get India, China and Brazil on board....

• Like 1

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-weather-henan/central-chinas-henan-province-swamped-after-heaviest-rain-in-1000-years-idUSKBN2EQ2CF

From Saturday to Tuesday, 617.1 mm (24.3 inches) of rain fell in Zhengzhou, almost the equivalent of its annual average of 640.8 mm (25.2 inches).

The three days of rain matched a level seen only “once in a thousand years”, meteorologists said.

Like recent heatwaves in the United States and Canada and extreme flooding seen in western Europe, the rainfall in China was almost certainly linked to global warming, scientists told Reuters.

“Such extreme weather events will likely become more frequent in the future,” said Johnny Chan, a professor of atmospheric science at City University of Hong Kong.

“What is needed is for governments to develop strategies to adapt to such changes,” he added, referring to authorities at city, province and national levels.

• Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I have so much to say but I'm just gonna zip it.  

Good evening, Rjay. I understand and agree. At least you have your avatar, in place, for emphasis. I’ll just re-read some 20 year old disaster Sci Fy by Art Bell and Whitley Strieber. I bought it when hard cover was still in fashion. Somehow the premise does not seem as implausible as it once did. As always….

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rjay said:

I have so much to say but I'm just gonna zip it.  

Just saw a thing on artificial rain in the UAE, they are seeding clouds to produce rain there to reduce the intensity of heatwaves.  The reporter said that 8 states in the West are also using cloud seeding to alleviate the long term drought there.

On 7/20/2021 at 2:45 PM, LibertyBell said:

I think we need to get to climate engineering asap, it's obvious that it's now become necessary.

The risk of crop failures would be too high.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/aug/08/reflecting-suns-rays-would-cause-crops-to-fail-scientists-warn

Proposals to combat climate change by reflecting the sun’s rays back into space would cause widespread crop failure, cancelling out any benefits to farming from the reduction in warming, according to new research.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Maureen said:

Title of the next Gerard Butler movie. 

Good morning, Maureen. As producer or actor? Perhaps both. The premise two decades ago was a bit of an outlandish fringe scenario. Reviewing recent weather events it becomes increasingly plausible and topical. If you haven’t read it you might want to give it a digital look. I enjoyed the split narrative structure employed by the authors. Unfortunately the “Day after Tomorrow, which was based on it p, did not do it justice. Not unusual to find a written take better than the screen version. Stay well, as always ….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

The risk of crop failures would be too high.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/aug/08/reflecting-suns-rays-would-cause-crops-to-fail-scientists-warn

Proposals to combat climate change by reflecting the sun’s rays back into space would cause widespread crop failure, cancelling out any benefits to farming from the reduction in warming, according to new research.

Would these cloud seeding processes we've now seen being implemented in 8 states and some countries like the UAE help?

• Rjay unpinned this topic