Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter 2021

doncat

16 minutes ago, uncle W said:

if not prepare for the worse...

Figured days are getting shorter, the heat in the west is subsiding and so is the heat in the east. I think we’ve peaked here. Don’t get me wrong we can get to 100 soon or later but the real brutal feeling that we’re experiencing right now is the peak!

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

33 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

Spotify's like, hey, i noticed you didn't like any of the ten Les Claypool songs i recommended, here's ten more

I don't mind Primus, but only a song or two at a time once in awhile.  Otherwise my ears start to hurt.  

4 hours ago, Jeff Grann said:

Thing about people who "love" days like yesterday. Generally they are not the one responsible for paying the high electric bills. They are not outside cutting their large lawns and other constant outside home maintaining which is brutal in this weather. There is also zero regard for poor and elderly who are literally suffering living in non air conditioned apartments with no cross ventilation and 90 degrees inside 24 hrs a day .Hell, my 33k gallon pool is 86 degrees due to this swamp azz crap . What good is it to swim in bath water?. There are no redeeming qualities to this extreme heat compared to the danger it poses to rational adults.

I know, right? My 70k gallon pool is gross, not refreshing at all. Even my private spa is too warm, I had to give my live-in masseuse the day off since there was just no point. Anyone who claims to "love" warm wx has never tried to climb into their Gulfstream G550 that's been sitting in the sun since getting back from breakfast in Naples. Normal people like you and me will never be able to reason with these folks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I know, right? My 70k gallon pool is gross, not refreshing at all. Even my private spa is too warm, I had to give my live-in masseuse the day off since there was just no point. Anyone who claims to "love" warm wx has never tried to climb into their Gulfstream G550 that's been sitting in the sun since getting back from breakfast in Naples. Normal people like you and me will never be able to reason with these folks. 

98/77 is not warm. It is horrendously uncomfortable to anyone having to do any physical task outside and can be deadly to elderly without AC. If you think I am privileged to have a home with a backyard pool, you should've worked the 50- 60 hr work weeks I did for 20 yrs as a cop along with off duty moonlighting.. Comparing a nice home obtained from ass busting hard work that most people won't do to Uber wealth inherited (Gulfstream) is asinine and petty jealousy.

1 hour ago, Jeff Grann said:

98/77 is not warm. It is horrendously uncomfortable to anyone having to do any physical task outside and can be deadly to elderly without AC. If you think I am privileged to have a home with a backyard pool, you should've worked the 50- 60 hr work weeks I did for 20 yrs as a cop along with off duty moonlighting.. Comparing a nice home obtained from ass busting hard work that most people won't do to Uber wealth inherited (Gulfstream) is asinine and petty jealousy.

1. Yes, you are privileged, and your totally baseless comment that "most people" won't work for a decent living shows that you have entirely the wrong attitude about it. I also have a pool, a bit bigger than yours in fact, and I'm privileged too. Acknowledging one's privilege has no shame.
  2. You could have made your point about heat sans the sanctimony and braggadocio. As homeowners, you and I choose a lifestyle that requires outdoor maintenance in some pretty appalling conditions. It shouldn't be a surprise, since it always gets hot in the summer. If another person's situation allows them to enjoy the sensation of hot weather without having to worry about the implications, more power to them. It's extremely tasteless to call names and cast aspersions.
  3. According to the CDC, cold exposure kills more Americans annually than heat-caused illnesses: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/12/17/cold-temperatures-kill-more-americans-than-hot-ones-cdc-data-show/. If you want to discuss concern for the elderly, let's talk about the 11,500 annual emergency room visits caused by shoveling snow: https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2021/02/16/why-shoveling-snow-can-be-dangerous/
  4. Like 95% of people on this board, I detest this weather. Just important to keep some perspective and realize that none of us is particularly special.
  • Like 9

22 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Like 95% of people on this board, I detest this weather. Just important to keep some perspective and realize that none of us is particularly special.

Seems like many of us on these boards are in the minority as to which type of weather we like the best. I know forums like this one originally started out as winter weather lover gathering spots. That’s  why there has been so much resistance to the concept of climate change throughout the years. But even that has been shifting recently as the warming has become so obvious. The biggest population increases in this country have been in places that are subject to extreme heat, droughts, hurricanes, flooding, etc. So I am not sure if the migration patterns within this country will be sustainable over the long term with increasing extreme weather. People that I talk to can’t wait to move to places that don’t get any snow or cold and where they can wear their shorts all year. But I don’t think that they are taking into account how the extremes in those locations may make those areas harder to adapt to. I guess we’ll see if the future has people shifting back to cooler locations. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Seems like many of us on these boards are in the minority as to which type of weather we like the best. I know forums like this one originally started out as winter weather lover gathering spots. That’s  why there has been so much resistance to the concept of climate change throughout the years. But even that has been shifting recently as the warming has become so obvious. The biggest population increases in this country have been in places that are subject to extreme heat, droughts, hurricanes, flooding, etc. So I am not sure if the migration patterns within this country will be sustainable over the long term with increasing extreme weather. People that I talk to can’t wait to move to places that don’t get any snow or cold and where they can wear their shorts all year. But I don’t think that they are taking into account how the extremes in those locations may make those areas harder to adapt to. I guess we’ll see if the future has people shifting back to cooler locations. 

the availability of fresh water is going to f everything up.

i don't see how the desert southwest is going to sustain the kind of population it has over the long term.  there's adjustments that can be made, and desalination can be installed, but the area is just so far over its natural carrying capacity.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

i don't see how the desert southwest is going to sustain the kind of population it has over the long term.  there's adjustments that can be made, and desalination can be installed, but the area is just so far over its natural carrying capacity.

Human history is all about developing technology to adapt to our surroundings and then migrating when the technology can’t keep up anymore.

52 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

Afaik, the desert has ample water for the people, what really drains the aquifers is large scale agriculture of very water intensive crops such as alfalfa.

Underground resources are not usually communally regulated (oil is an important exception, all sorts of regulations there), so abusive practices are the norm.

Tragedy of the Commons, in modern dress, imho.

2 hours ago, Jeff Grann said:

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:
  1. Yes, you are privileged, and your totally baseless comment that "most people" won't work for a decent living shows that you have entirely the wrong attitude about it. I also have a pool, a bit bigger than yours in fact, and I'm privileged too. Acknowledging one's privilege has no shame.
  2. You could have made your point about heat sans the sanctimony and braggadocio. As homeowners, you and I choose a lifestyle that requires outdoor maintenance in some pretty appalling conditions. It shouldn't be a surprise, since it always gets hot in the summer. If another person's situation allows them to enjoy the sensation of hot weather without having to worry about the implications, more power to them. It's extremely tasteless to call names and cast aspersions.
  3. According to the CDC, cold exposure kills more Americans annually than heat-caused illnesses: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/12/17/cold-temperatures-kill-more-americans-than-hot-ones-cdc-data-show/. If you want to discuss concern for the elderly, let's talk about the 11,500 annual emergency room visits caused by shoveling snow: https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2021/02/16/why-shoveling-snow-can-be-dangerous/
  4. Like 95% of people on this board, I detest this weather. Just important to keep some perspective and realize that none of us is particularly special.

Good evening, Jeff, Julien. I apologize for making ass me and me “ass”sumptions but if you were NYPD and did 20 during the 70’s and 80’s I can easily understand the almost necessity of moonlighting along with calling it a career after 20. Home ownership is probably the most difficult responsibility to keep up with, this side of child rearing. Apparently you, as did the good folk in our forums, did well. I purposely didn’t mention marriage/partnership because my lost love, I am sure, would find a way to make her displeasure known. Your post came from the heart, its how/who it was directed to that was a wee too general. Please keep posting and jump around the forums and sample the membership you’ll find we all have a lot in common. If you run in to the Reaper don’t don’t let your career instincts take over. He’s seasonal and quite entertaining.

julien as you so nicely stated, it is definitely perspective. Our life experiences guide us. Oh and I never want to get on your bad side. 

I love this board, it allows relics to pontificate, even if no one is listening. May we all find peace, as always ….

13 hours ago, bluewave said:

Human history is all about developing technology to adapt to our surroundings and then migrating when the technology can’t keep up anymore.

at some point, probably pretty soon, technology wont be able to keep up.

having so many people on the planet probably wasn't such a smart idea

14 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

You obviously are clueless regarding the current economy where millions of people remain on extended unemployment and supplement despite help wanted signs everywhere. .As for the vast majority of my neighbors back in Warwick the 20 yrs when I was a cop, I don't seem to remember very many of them on the road with me to Chinatown at 4am or on the way home with me at 10 or 11 pm after OT or second jobs to keep my wife home to raise kids. Most of them worked 9-5 office jobs. I was no privileged. I worked a paper route and odd jobs after school since age 12. Bought my own car at 17 and insurance. Parents fed and clothed me and threw me 500 bucks for my wedding. I took a damn civil service test that any "unprivileged" person of any color could've taken and worked my ass off. To say that I'm clueless that I contest that the majority of people don't work an average 12 a day an drive a 3 hrs commuting to and from lower Manhattan is even more asinine than your assertion that I'm privileged..As for your heat/cold point you obviously have not been in a NYC public housing apt with no AC in an extended heatwave . Families sometimes with mattresses on the floor 8 people crammed in a 2BR suffering to try and sleep drenched in their underwear at night from 90+ degree temps inside all night long. The elderly there can stay inside in winter when it's cold or icy. They can't escape the deadly heat in their apartments. I have seen this first hand

Can someone please point me to the study that shows a connection between the type of weather one roots for/loves and the influence that opinion has on the actual outcome of the weather?  5/15/18 had a personal impact on my life and as a result I no longer like severe thunderstorms.  Trust me, it could have been must worse but I'm perfectly fine when severe weather misses my house now.  Do I berate the folks on here who root for severe weather?  Nope, that has no impact on the outcome.  Specific to the heat and humidity this week there was an incident here in Goshen where an elderly person had to be taken to the hospital due to a heat related illness.  The person had no AC in their home.  Why?  Who knows, maybe they should've worked harder years ago, maybe they have a disability, I don't know.  So what did the cops do?  Did they admonish people who were enjoying the heat while poolside?  Did they chastise people enjoying the AC cranking in their McMansions?  Nah.  One of them donated an AC unit and a couple off duty cops installed it so the resident could safely return home.     

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic