• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

During La Niña events, trade winds are even stronger than usual, pushing more warm water toward Asia, NOAA said. Off the west coast of the Americas, upwelling increases, bringing cold, nutrient-rich water to the surface.

These cold waters in the Pacific push the jet stream northward, which affects weather patterns in the U.S. and globally.

What is a La Niña winter?

A typical La Niña winter in the U.S. brings cold and snow to the Northwest and unusually dry conditions to most of the southern tier of the U.S., according to NOAA's Climate Prediction Center. The Southeast and Mid-Atlantic also tend to see warmer-than-average temperatures during a La Niña winter. 

New England and the Upper Midwest into New York tend to see colder-than-average temperatures, the Weather Channel said.

Because La Niña shifts storm tracks, it often brings more snow to the Ohio and Tennessee valleys. "Typically La Niña is not a big snow year in the mid-Atlantic," said Mike Halpert, deputy director of the Climate Prediction Center. "You have a better chance up in New England."

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/8013655002

5d0e7d73-c4e8-4a3e-a565-0ded4719d73c-PHOTO-LaNina_winter_flat_updated_NOAA-1125x534_1 (1).png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

In my experience La Nina brings a more active northern stream, not necessarily terrible for us if the jet is south of us lol Obviously weaker the better..

Just getting indices to work out has been a struggle. The +AO we've had lots of creates a flat jet stream of mild Pacific air....or the PNA or NAO aren't in our favor and instead of getting some cold air to lock in (and not too deep) we get a buckling jet stream that brings a ridge up before a system and then a weak trough behind... I think the pattern we've been in for the month of July would have been a great one in winter for the NE.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

We’re one the coldest places in northern hemisphere right now. Everywhere else is destroying record highs. that will eventually reverse this winter when we go above normal for temps dec-March again. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/07/20/heat-wave-northern-hemisphere/?utm_source=reddit.com

It's disturbing that we're one of the "coldest" places, as it's barely been below normal.

No doubt about the winter. Seems to be a repeated cycle lately...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

It's disturbing that we're one of the "coldest" places, as it's barely been below normal.

No doubt about the winter. Seems to be a repeated cycle lately...

I really do believe we are at a tipping point as scientists have talked about for the last few decades. +1.5 C was the tipping point and we are pretty much there. Next 1-2 decades will be really interesting to see how high we go and the ramifications that follow. It won't be pretty.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Maxed out at 73.8° earlier this afternoon, since dropped a couple of degrees, DPs manageable in the lower 60s, little breeze and plenty of sunshine.. Forecasted min has come down a little to 53° ...

A surface high centered over Lower Michigan will have its influence
tonight by providing quiet clear skies and cool conditions. 850
mb temperatures lowering to 8C should be able to support some
lake induced clouds southeast of the lakes (especially Lake
Ontario) after midnight. Lowered temperates down a bit from
continuity, mainly across Southern Tier where readings should
drop into upper 40s for cooler parts of Cattaraugus and Allegany
counties.

2 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Pretty good article about a possible theory on why the hail was so large in WNY yesterday. Definitely an interesting quick read. 

https://www.wgrz.com/mobile/article/weather/large-hail-fell-across-niagara-county-tuesday/71-d8eefbc6-9894-4bb7-a54b-ac53e1139a6e

I also think lake breeze

Played a roll as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

In regards to the climate change talk, did anyone see the floods in Germany? Killed over 150 people…that shouldn’t be Happening in 21st century. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/07/europe-s-deadly-floods-leave-scientists-stunned

Those were legit “flash floods”.  Towns were under 10’ of water in minutes.  That one town where the 12 people drown on the first floor of the old folks home because they couldn’t get them all up to the second floor fast enough was crazy.  Timing was also awful as the worst flooding in many towns was overnight and in many of the smaller towns the fire departments are the flood spotters to raise the alert on raising water.  In the one case the firemen observed a wall of water rushing down from the mountains and couldn’t alert the town to get to higher ground fast enough.  

Hearing stories like that really makes you appreciate the weather service and system we have in the US.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

We need a day after tomorrow atmosphere cleansing.

That would mean ❄️ right?  If I had to go and pick my way… freezing to death in an apocalyptic blizzard would be ok.  

Has anyone else ever seen this?  Spock warning us of the coming  ice age in the late 1970s.  30 straight years of declining Arctic temps.  Waterways once open in the summer now frozen year round.  We did a complete 180 flip on that 40 years later.  The “Brutal Buffalo Winter could become common across all of the United States”.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

That would mean ❄️ right?  If I had to go and pick my way… freezing to death in an apocalyptic blizzard would be ok.  

Has anyone else ever seen this?  Spock warning us of the coming  ice age in the late 1970s.  30 straight years of declining Arctic temps.  Waterways once open in the summer now frozen year round.  We did a complete 180 flip on that 40 years later.  The “Brutal Buffalo Winter could become common across all of the United States”.  

That's crazy. Was this the general agreement among scientists at the time? Obviously CO2 in the atmosphere takes time to reflect into our global weather. While fossil fuel consumption was increasing in the 70s, the effects were not felt until decades later.

12 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Those were legit “flash floods”.  Towns were under 10’ of water in minutes.  That one town where the 12 people drown on the first floor of the old folks home because they couldn’t get them all up to the second floor fast enough was crazy.  Timing was also awful as the worst flooding in many towns was overnight and in many of the smaller towns the fire departments are the flood spotters to raise the alert on raising water.  In the one case the firemen observed a wall of water rushing down from the mountains and couldn’t alert the town to get to higher ground fast enough.  

Hearing stories like that really makes you appreciate the weather service and system we have in the US.

The mountains really add another dynamic to the flooding. We are in a pretty good spot where we cannot get anything like this. That is unless Lake Erie or Ontario overfill their banks. If that happens we're all done for. ^_^

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Did you watch day after tomorrow? Pretty much my favorite movie of all time. Lots of weather and science in it. 

16 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I've been following weather my entire life and don't remember so many years in a row in which featured so many fires across the US. Every year it gets worse too.

I'd check the stats on this.  I don't have links handy but from what I recall, it's a bit of a more complicated picture than just climate change induced, though that could certainly be a factor.  Some of the other wx events going on, like floods in Europe, or even our very rainy July thusfar, do seem more in line with "extreme" wx events increasing in frequency. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Did you watch day after tomorrow? Pretty much my favorite movie of all time. Lots of weather and science in it. 

Lots of bad science also. The flash freeze was a particularly WTF moment for me, having studied classic thermodynamics in collge.  Granted, it's all good entertainment!

The list of atrocities against Science is long.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Lots of bad science also. The flash freeze was a particularly WTF moment for me, having studied classic thermodynamics in collge.  Granted, it's all good entertainment!

The list of atrocities against Science is long.

I know it was fake, but I loved it. ^_^

The beginning with the separating glaciers was great, I could definitely see that happening. 

23 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I know it was fake, but I loved it. ^_^

The beginning with the separating glaciers was great, I could definitely see that happening. 

I'd be happier with a Climate Change movie that showed the glass is half full beneficial affects of Climate Change.  Namely, the Syracuse Sizzle keeping my pool at 85F in Summer with palm trees and Umbrella drinks around it for landscaping. ;)

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That's crazy. Was this the general agreement among scientists at the time? Obviously CO2 in the atmosphere takes time to reflect into our global weather. While fossil fuel consumption was increasing in the 70s, the effects were not felt until decades later.

I recall those days of yore. In HS, it was a thing. I remember reading about it and how this "expert" Dr. Hanson was pushing it. Curiously, a decade later he emerged from under a different rock, did a 180 and was pushing a different climate catastrophe.  And here we are. 

5 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Another great movie that is somewhat climate/weather related is The Colony. Basically we try to stop global warming and send us into an ice age. The movie follows Lawrence Fishbourne through the apocalyptical landscape that remains. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Another great movie that is somewhat climate/weather related is The Colony. Basically we try to stop global warming and send us into an ice age. The movie follows Lawrence Fishbourne through the apocalyptical landscape that remains. 

I haven't seen that one, watching this weekend. Greenland was good too and of course 2012 LOL

Any weather movie genre related gets my attention, despite bad reviews.  

• Like 1