• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

11 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

We picked up 1.60" of rain this afternoon from a few rounds of heavy rain, 3.44" in the first 8 days of the month, so I don't have much to complain about..

3k wants to develop some more T-storms late this evening..Not sure about that yet lol

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_10 (1).png

I've tallied 4.00" of rain for July so far.  0.65" yday.  The total for the month of June was 2.88".  Pool is full.  It is a shame that there isn't a way to get extra rainfall routed to the western US.  I'm surprised Elon Musk hasn't proposed some new hair brained scheme to do this.  Or maybe he has and I've missed it.

• Haha 1

A surface warm front pushing towards our region from the South will
bring another period of active weather beginning on Sunday. Rain
showers along the front along with with diffluent flow aloft will
gradually spread from south to north across the region. More
widespread shower activity will reach the NY/PA border in the early
afternoon and overspread much of the area shortly thereafter,
lasting right through Sunday night. Low level warm air advection
should limit lapse rates and overall CAPE, but abundant moisture
with PWATs close to 2" will bring the chance for some steady rain
and a possibly a few rumbles of thunder in the afternoon.

&&

.LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...
Unsettled weather with above normal temperatures can be expected
through the entirety of this period...as a Bermuda high will
maintain a southerly flow of deep moisture and sub tropical warmth
from the GOMEX. Daily rounds of showers and thunderstorms will be
likely...so rainfall through the period will average above normal.

18 hours ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Some impressive velocities showing up over Amherst with that severe thunderstorm right now. Nearly 70mph. Wanna hear from some posters up that way! 

Sorry, really late to the party on this…That was in fact an intense but very quick hitting storm here. Wind came out of nowhere and blew furiously for only about 30 seconds. Family was sitting by a window and branches started slamming against it at which point an aunt said “should we head to the basement?”  Numerous large branches down in the neighborhood. Lost power for about 2 hours. 

• Like 5

I think the point I was trying to make, in reference to Delta, is it's absurd HOW much warmer it is in Syracuse compared to the rest of New York State. It's in the 60s to lower 70s almost all across the state...and then...boom...mid 80s here right now! It really is just crazy to me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Few pics from last weeks hike. 

165D0EDD-239C-4484-9E85-190259C97832.jpeg

45131514-71D7-4B96-A5F2-40A5046A54FF.jpeg

Do you have any suggestions for decent hikes with younger kids?  We have done a few hikes on NW side of the ADKs where it is pretty flat.  They did good with a +/-6mi distance (total out and back).  I’d like to find a hike with a decent view for them, but of course vertical hikes will wear them out much quicker. 

4 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

Do you have any suggestions for decent hikes with younger kids?  We have done a few hikes on NW side of the ADKs where it is pretty flat.  They did good with a +/-6mi distance (total out and back).  I’d like to find a hike with a decent view for them, but of course vertical hikes will wear them out much quicker. 

Mount Jo is a beautiful hike that is short distance. Ampersand has incredible views but a little more strenuous. Indian pass is really beautiful, although a long hike, rated as moderate difficulty. The Saranac 6 are the ones I'd recommend doing. In terms of the 46 high peaks the easiest by far is Cascade. That is the one most people start on. I've hiked all over and the ADK 46 hikes are some of the hardest I've ever done.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/new-york/mount-jo-loop-trail  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The west looks to have a ridge nearly all summer. You just know that is going to swap come winter time. Trough out west and east coast ridge. 

This won’t be popular here but I almost hope your winter forecast verifies. They desperately need rain out west. Reservoirs are drying up and it’s going to be a horrendous fire season. If they can make a dent in their rainfall deficit I’ll sacrifice some snow in New York.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, winter_rules said:

Owl Head lookout would be perfect:  https://www.lakeplacid.com/do/hiking/owl-head-lookout

Indian Head:  https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/new-york/indian-head-and-rainbow-falls

Indian Pass with kids?  I wouldn't.  My wife and I hiked it last week.  There are a lot of open sloped wet rock faces that young kids would make make me very nervous on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cny rider said:

Owl Head lookout would be perfect:  https://www.lakeplacid.com/do/hiking/owl-head-lookout

Indian Head:  https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/new-york/indian-head-and-rainbow-falls

Indian Pass with kids?  I wouldn't.  My wife and I hiked it last week.  There are a lot of open sloped wet rock faces that young kids would make make me very nervous on.

Yeah I meant to say Indian head.

7 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Mount Jo is a beautiful hike that is short distance. Ampersand has incredible views but a little more strenuous. Indian pass is really beautiful, although a long hike, rated as moderate difficulty. The Saranac 6 are the ones I'd recommend doing. In terms of the 46 high peaks the easiest by far is Cascade. That is the one most people start on. I've hiked all over and the ADK 46 hikes are some of the hardest I've ever done.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/new-york/mount-jo-loop-trail  

This seems like the winner for our first “vertical” trial hike.  Thanks!

We're still pretty dry along the S Shore from Eastern Monroe to Oswego ctys. The lake breeze curved many storms south over the past week so we only ended up with probably half of what many others experienced. The ground and grass is still quite dry.

On 7/8/2021 at 1:40 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

Quite the storm 

More on last night's storms (7/7/2021):

This annotated closeup image shows a peak wind* of 92 knots (102 mph) measured about 500 feet above the ground level at 9:53 PM EDT, near Campville, NY.  Winds at ground and treetop level were likely a little weaker, but this lends credence to the unofficial 92 mph report received from south of Apalachin. 

* (Technically, the radar measures just the component of the wind towards or away from the radar. But since the wind direction in this case was SW to NE and pretty much spot-on directly towards the radar, actual wind velocities were likely not too much higher than indicated).

37AA539F-6C17-4D96-9495-5C00FC0C7A67.jpeg

Worst storm in recent memory here, probably since the June 6, 2005 Derecho (http://bgmresearch.eas.cornell.edu/casestudy/2005/Jun0605_files/TextMostly/index.html). The hills to our west and east generally shield us from strong winds when storms come in from the west. But it's different when they come in from the south/southwest, I think the hills actually help channel the winds. A lot of tree damage all over. Would have been quite the spectacle had it happened during daylight hours. Power went out 5 minutes before the gust front even arrived but luckily it was restored in 24 hours. Some places still don't have power restored.

• Like 2