Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2021 OBS Thread

JTA66

11 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Same thing happened here. Now sitting at 2.1" for the event--not bad. Only 7.8" for the month though but you're right, let's see what the weekend brings!

When I was looking at the radar returns the past couple hours, I saw all the flood reports all over and around the Reading metro area and after the earlier deluge (snapshot below from earlier), they still have the FFW up all around there. :o

radar38-08282021.png

12 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

This batch of precip is just hanging around and super low clouds. It seems to be getting darker outside as the morning progresses...odd.

75F / DP 74F

dark.jpg

Bucks County is lighting up!  I think it is due to the front that has been dropping in, with it sortof stalled around that area.

The temp here has crept up and it is 75 now, after a low of 72, and dp 74.

current-surface-838am-radsfcus_exp_new-08282021.gif

6 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Bucks County is lighting up!  I think it is due the front that has been dropping in, with it sortof stalled around that area.

The temp here has crept up and it is 75 now, after a low of 72, and dp 74.

current-surface-838am-radsfcus_exp_new-08282021.gif

Yeah, Bucks and Mont counties precip expanded. Mod to hvy rain here now but damn it's dark for almost 9am!

rh.jpg

3 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Same. No shot now, coming down. I have to switch my brain into "in the house to do list"...

:lol:

May end up being like that through mid-week, although Tuesday may be the "dry" day before Ida.

There's some weird flow going on - the bulk of the stuff backing in from the NE (I think there is a little low that formed) but then motion from the front coming out of the NW trying to push to the SE.  The convergence is sparking that rain and keeping it from moving.

I've been getting variable stratus and overcast with temp back down to 74 and a dp of 72, so something is trying to push into here.

25 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

All out monsoon here. Too bad, I was going to do some yard work, guess I'll just have to lounge around today.

72F/DP 72F

Lucky. I can't even use that excuse--too many woodshop projects on my backlog. Don't get me wrong, the worst day in the woodshop beats the best day at work, but the wife has commissioned several pieces of furniture that aren't going to build themselves, involving a whole lot of tedious joinery (completely my fault lol).

Anyways, we've been gifted with a rare <80°F August day so spirits are up all around in my house.

image.png.74bd69c50893982e485ab12404c12d04.png

• Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Really amazed how this moved west and not only held its own but intensified at Trooper.

Still heavy rain here... 

west.jpg

I’ve lucked out in that the heaviest of the rain pushed off just to my south and east, and I’m taking only by a mile or two.

Been light rain/showers since 10am. Looks like 2.40” so far.

8 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

I’ve lucked out in that the heaviest of the rain pushed off just to my south and east, and I’m taking only by a mile or two.

Been light rain/showers since 10am. Looks like 2.40” so far.

I could probably hit a John Daly drunken golf ball to your place and make a world of difference...getting a good drench here.

drunk.jpg

Am up to 1.84" for the day so far with just over 1/2" per hour rates.  The console to my main weather station is on a UPS although the Raspberry Pi's UPS is a different one that cut off now (it is running weewx). The GW-1000 that grabs stuff from the station to feed to the Pi is on the same UPS as the console (and is still on) so I probably should move the Pi off where it is at some point in the future (issue with plug distance).

Temp is down to 69 with dp the same so I think that cool front continues to push through here.

Power came back on about 10 minutes ago and am hoping it will hold.  My sis in Wyndmoor also got hers back too around the same time.  We are a couple miles away from each other.  My other sis in Upper Darby was unaffected.

Am currently at 1.90" so far for the event with temp down to 69 and dp 68.  Am glad that it is relatively cool and not a blast furnace regarding the power outage (been there done that). :yikes:

• Like 1

Had a look at what the atmosphere is doing in earth.nullschool.net and noticed that there is a bubble of low pressure spinning anti-clockwise under an area of high pressure (going clockwise) right off the Delmarva. It's like the upper atmosphere is completely decoupled from the lower part. I don't know it that means anything but I thought it was neat given our recent weather "pattern".

3 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Had a look at what the atmosphere is doing in earth.nullschool.net and noticed that there is a bubble of low pressure spinning anti-clockwise under an area of high pressure (going clockwise) right off the Delmarva. It's like the upper atmosphere is completely decoupled from the lower part. I don't know it that means anything but I thought it was neat given our recent weather "pattern".

Could be a weak tropical development just east of Delaware 

• Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Heavy rain threat looking like a big fail today/tonight. Yesterday's 30% chance was way more active compared to today's 60% chance with nothing on radar. Gonna need the break though as Ida's remnants look to bring a solid 2-4" mid week.

There's a line back west of Harrisburg but since it has sortof stabilized over in this area, that might not survive given we are a little over an hour from sunset, and it is fizzling as it moves east.

I ended up with 1.96" today (so far assuming nothing else pops up) and my 78 high ended up about 45 minutes after midnight, with it mostly downhill since.  The low was 69 and I'm currently overcast and 69 - with a dp of 66 that pretty much confirms the cold front is south of me.