• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2021 OBS Thread

JTA66

Survived the week. (I work 4 tens and then have a 3-day weekend when I'm in the field.) Really need to mow but decided I can put it off until tomorrow morning... On one hand, we could use some rain and all these storms popping up appear to be huge, relatively stationary rainmakers, but OTOH, that will make mowing soaked grass in the morning pretty miserable. I just know I'm done being outside in 90° heat for now.

Looks like my high was 95.7° at the house today. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

• Weenie 1

With today's high of only 86.7 on the VantagePro / 87.3 on the Ambient Station at 89.4 on the poorly sited rooftop Tempest station. We are likely finished with 90 degree days here for the summer of  2021 in East Nantmeal Township. So we should end the summer with 3 days over 90 on the VP2 / only 2 days on the same sited Ambient and 8 days that exceeded the 90 degree mark up on the roof top Tempest Station. A poorly sited station certainly does make a difference!

Looks like TS Ida is here -

WTNT64 KNHC 262116
TCUAT4

Tropical Storm Ida Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL092021
520 PM EDT Thu Aug 26 2021

...AIR FORCE PLANE FINDS DEPRESSION A TROPICAL STORM...

Air Force Reserve hurricane hunter aircraft data indicate that the 
depression has strengthened to Tropical Storm Ida.  The maximum 
sustained winds are estimated to be 40 mph (65 km/h) with higher 
gusts.

SUMMARY OF 520 PM EDT...2120 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...18.0N 79.8W
ABOUT 100 MI...160 KM WSW OF NEGRIL JAMAICA
ABOUT 130 MI...205 KM SE OF GRAND CAYMAN
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...40 MPH...65 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 325 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1006 MB...29.71 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Brown

It may have some rain impact here some time next week moving along a front and we have had a couple "I" storms over the years that had some significant impact on the CWA - e.g., Isabel (2003), Irene (2011), Isaias (2020).

12 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

The Reading Rain Shield™ will be tested tonight....

So that was a whole lotta nothin last night, but dang if it isn't moist AF outside right now. Sitting here contemplating just how early I can start mowing without pissing off the neighbors all that much... Probably best to wait until the sun comes up at least. :lol:

image.png.8380e0367d055d914704a05eb2276ab9.png

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

So that was a whole lotta nothin last night, but dang if it isn't moist AF outside right now. Sitting here contemplating just how early I can start mowing without pissing off the neighbors all that much... Probably best to wait until the sun comes up at least. :lol:

image.png.8380e0367d055d914704a05eb2276ab9.png

Haha...years ago I had a neighbor who's cousin was an arborist. He was here on a Saturday cutting things down for us. He returned 7am Sunday morning to clean up and asked if it was too early to fire up the chipper. We told him to wait at least until 8am. This way we'd only piss off the neighborhood but wouldn't feel the need to pack up and move. Enjoy your mow!

Only got down to 75F overnight, currently 76F. Vis sat shows some clouds to the west. Hopefully they'll fill in and keep temps somewhat in check today.

15 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

The Reading Rain Shield™ will be tested tonight....

I see you trademarked yours as well...lol

Last night I missed some good ones as they formed and got everyone from Hazleton to McAdoo and over into Lehighton. Basically anything along and west of 309 got little if any action.

• Haha 1

I had a 75 low this morning and watched the little pop-ups form and go east of me last night.  I figured I could hold off okay given they are forecasting flood-watch type of rain over the next couple days.  We shall see.

Hit 90 about an hour and a half before noon (#35 since May & #32 for JJA) and currently 90, with dp 77.

45 minutes ago, RedSky said:

I'm hoisting a pre-emptive Noah's Ark flood alert to cover all bases

:maprain:

You wait till Ida gets up here.  She just got her "hurricane wings".

WTNT34 KNHC 271743
TCPAT4

BULLETIN
Hurricane Ida Intermediate Advisory Number 5A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL092021
200 PM EDT Fri Aug 27 2021

...IDA MAKES LANDFALL AS A HURRICANE ON THE ISLE OF YOUTH...

SUMMARY OF 200 PM EDT...1800 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...21.6N 82.7W
ABOUT 5 MI...10 KM E OF THE CENTER OF THE ISLE OF YOUTH
ABOUT 145 MI...245 KM E OF THE WESTERN TIP OF CUBA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...75 MPH...120 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 325 DEGREES AT 15 MPH...24 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...987 MB...29.15 INCHES

I managed to tie my high for the summer so far (93) before dropping back to a current 89 with dp 76.  The cirrus had started streaming a couple hours ago and now the cumulus are coming in with stuff starting to pop.

12 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

:maprain:

You wait till Ida gets up here.  She just got her "hurricane wings".

I managed to tie my high for the summer so far (93) before dropping back to a current 89 with dp 76.  The cirrus had started streaming a couple hours ago and now the cumulus are coming in with stuff starting to pop.

Yes well aware of Miss Ida, the remains are perfectly pigeon holing themselves in the long range guidance to drown my next Wednesday plans. I hate this summer.

• Weenie 1