Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2021 OBS Thread

JTA66

2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I had told my BIL that the Dawn redwoods were deciduous and not to get alarmed when it dropped its needles. He was fine with that since the guy at the nursery we frequent had recommended it to him and he trusted the guy.  He had also bought a couple Witch Hazels around the same time that are now almost 10ft tall. Didn't realize they could grow that tall although I understand there are some varieties that have an upright form.  They ended up becoming a nice screen for their shed. :lol:

The one thing I haven't really seen this year, thank goodness, are the swarms of lanternflies.  Earlier I saw maybe one or two crawling on the side of the front of the house but that is about it.  This time last year they were obnoxiously everywhere.

Ended up with a late-in-the-day high of 82 yesterday, with a low of 67 this morning. Had to run out to the supermarket early this morning and although it was in the upper 70s at the time, I could feel a bit of the humidity already creeping in.

It's currently partly cloudy and 87 with dp 69.

We've had a few of the lantern flies in the last 2 or 3 weeks, not too many, like you said. Only saw a couple in the nymph/hopping stage. 

86F here, dp 72. Got unused to this recently, and this is probably the "coolest" day between now and Friday. Whoopee!

My wife had a funny/wild experience before the shower, she was standing on a bench  snipping spent flowers off a butterfly bush, and felt something on her shin. She looked down and it was a cicada killer crawling up her leg with a locust. She jumped down and walked briskly away, and the bee was following her for a bit (with the locust) before it gave up. Scary for her but pretty funny too. Like the bee was trying to get on her good side by offering her a locust, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Looks like stuff has started firing in a wild-looking line.  I am sortof under the thinned out portion of it but there are some threatening dark clouds and lightning is popping up on my detector.

Currently overcast and 82 with dp 72.

radar10-08092021.png

There's a nice blob over Reading... just to my east. Like, less than a couple of miles away. Arg. (gonna have to water again tonight)

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

There's a nice blob over Reading... just to my east. Like, less than a couple of miles away. Arg. (gonna have to water again tonight)

I am literally in between a couple tiny blobs.  My detector is picking up the radius of 4 miles on either side... :blink:

Temp is down to 81 but dp is a juicy 73.

lightning-557pm-08092021.PNG

Man... getting fringed and in a hole.  Hoping to get a couple tenths of an inch out of something tonight.  I was watching the ocean breeze come inland and then it smacked up against the outflow boundary from the convection.  It was cool to see it on the radar though.

Still overcast and temp still at 81 with dp 72.

2021-08-09_18-32-56.gif

2 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

My wife had a funny/wild experience before the shower, she was standing on a bench  snipping spent flowers off a butterfly bush, and felt something on her shin. She looked down and it was a cicada killer crawling up her leg with a locust. She jumped down and walked briskly away, and the bee was following her for a bit (with the locust) before it gave up. Scary for her but pretty funny too. Like the bee was trying to get on her good side by offering her a locust, lol.

I always heard the cicada killers were on the good guys team and this proves it. Invite it in this evening for tea and crumpets.

The rain gods gave me 0.07" very early this morning, hopefully staving off the hose for another day.:thumbsup:  Seemed to have a repeat type of convective line move through the same way that one did last night, although this one seems pretty juicy in Jersey in Burlington county.

I think I may be at my low as a current - 72, with a dp of 71, meaning steamy windows alert, and there's stratus blanketing the area.

Excessive heat products are up (Warnings for Philly metro + north and east into Jersey, and Advisories for the next set of counties out).

• Like 2

Woken at 3:30 am by what sounded like an Elon rocket ship taking off in the yard, but just a garden variety torrential downpour. 

So now it's a a cloudy showery forecast today, that was unexpected. GFS and 3k NAM say it's not going to rain anymore, 12k NAM says guess again. Radar currently doesn't give a clue. What the frack does one do with plans contingent on no showers? Ugh.

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, RedSky said:

Woken at 3:30 am by what sounded like an Elon rocket ship taking off in the yard, but just a garden variety torrential downpour. 

So now it's a a cloudy showery forecast today, that was unexpected. GFS and 3k NAM say it's not going to rain anymore, 12k NAM says guess again. Radar currently doesn't give a clue. What the frack does one do with plans contingent on no showers? Ugh.

I was watching Governor Wolf's presser out in Harrisburg and as soon as he started, the rains came and he and others out there were asking if anyone had any umbrellas. There was a return sitting right over that area. :raining::lol:

The overcast/stratus kept the temps down until the afternoon when the sun finally came out and up the temp went.  I so far hit 91 as a high today (just after 1:30 pm) but the dp has been the story of the day. :yikes:

Currently partly sunny and 90 with dp 78.