Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2021 OBS Thread

JTA66

7 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

9 now...same link as above.

AND in reply to a tweet asking about the Bethany/Dewey/Rehoboth DE funnel/waterspout, I finally saw their assessment  -

That was one of the "earlier" ones in the outbreak that I had been following as it happened so I am glad to finally see what the assessment was there.

Yesterday was Lammas Day 2021, the mid point of astronomical summer. Let's see...

-Eagles 1st round pick already out with an injury

-Phils choking down the stretch

-Flyers sign crap back up goalie

Yep, we're right on schedule.

Picked up .40" yesterday. Currently 69F/DP 59F.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

5 hours ago, RedSky said:

Weird weather has all the feel of summer over in September.

Summer is coming back possibly with a vengeance.

Brunch drinks?

I'm looking short term, critters and 50s tonight w/the Phils blowing a late inning lead is where it's at...

79F / DP 54F

• Weenie 1

Spent a lovely day out in the field today. Looking forward to working outside in this unseasonably cool weather the rest of the week, though it's already looking like next week will be a scorcher. Ah well, enjoying it while it lasts. Speaking of, enjoyed spending a few minutes on the deck this evening until the mosquitos zeroed in. I've just cancelled my monthly lawn pest control service as it seemed to not work at all. My wife wants to try a biological approach, so we'll see how that turns out.

Anyway, we decided to try to not turn on the A/C for as long as we could today and actually made it all day with only minor discomfort for my work-from-home wife and my stay-at-home mother-in-law. I think we're gonna try to see how long we can go as our electricity bill has been pretty atrocious this spring/summer already. Ceiling fans in almost every room for the win.

About to turn in; really nice 62°F/57°DP atm.

Make mine an extra spicy bloody Mary please, @Birds~69:D

• Weenie 1

12 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Spent a lovely day out in the field today. Looking forward to working outside in this unseasonably cool weather the rest of the week, though it's already looking like next week will be a scorcher. Ah well, enjoying it while it lasts. Speaking of, enjoyed spending a few minutes on the deck this evening until the mosquitos zeroed in. I've just cancelled my monthly lawn pest control service as it seemed to not work at all. My wife wants to try a biological approach, so we'll see how that turns out.

Anyway, we decided to try to not turn on the A/C for as long as we could today and actually made it all day with only minor discomfort for my work-from-home wife and my stay-at-home mother-in-law. I think we're gonna try to see how long we can go as our electricity bill has been pretty atrocious this spring/summer already. Ceiling fans in almost every room for the win.

About to turn in; really nice 62°F/57°DP atm.

Make mine an extra spicy bloody Mary please, @Birds~69:D

I planted a "mosquito control" herb garden with some Citronella, Lemongrass, Clove, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, and Lavender around my patio and it does a pretty good job of keeping them away. I also have a big oscillating fan that I use if I'm hanging outside in the evening. Between those 2 things, I rarely need to put on bug spray unless I venture off into the yard. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

I planted a "mosquito control" herb garden with some Citronella, Lemongrass, Clove, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, and Lavender around my patio and it does a pretty good job of keeping them away. I also have a big oscillating fan that I use if I'm hanging outside in the evening. Between those 2 things, I rarely need to put on bug spray unless I venture off into the yard. 

I just pull out my old school "punks" and call it a day. :lol:

Punk Sticks for Bugs | Mosquito Incense Sticks

I ended up hitting 80 for a high yesterday and 61 for a low this morning.  There was some early low stratus that made a brief appearance before sunrise here and that gave way to a general cloud deck, and an overcast sky most of the day so far.  Currently overcast and 77 with dp 55.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I just pull out my old school "punks" and call it a day. :lol:

Punk Sticks for Bugs | Mosquito Incense Sticks

I ended up hitting 80 for a high yesterday and 61 for a low this morning.  There was some early low stratus that made a brief appearance before sunrise here and that gave way to a general cloud deck, and an overcast sky most of the day so far.  Currently overcast and 77 with dp 55.

The thick Cattails is what I remember...dried them out and burn.

ct.jpg

• Weenie 1

43 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

The thick Cattails is what I remember...dried them out and burn.

ct.jpg

My mom used to love those and I forgot where she would get them (sometimes her sister would bring a bunch down from NH when she visited over the summer), but she would dry them and then keep them in an old umbrella stand in the sun porch as decoration.  Of course we had to be careful lest they explode and deposit tufty seeds all over the place. :lol:

The sun managed to pop out for a bit this afternoon and that sent the temps up.  Wasn't sure if I'd get to 80 but I did as a high and it's currently back down to 78 and mostly cloudy again, with dp 53.

13 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

My mom used to love those and I forgot where she would get them (sometimes her sister would bring a bunch down from NH when she visited over the summer), but she would dry them and then keep them in an old umbrella stand in the sun porch as decoration.  Of course we had to be careful lest they explode and deposit tufty seeds all over the place. :lol:

The sun managed to pop out for a bit this afternoon and that sent the temps up.  Wasn't sure if I'd get to 80 but I did as a high and it's currently back down to 78 and mostly cloudy again, with dp 53.

The last time I picked was at Peace Valley Park in Bucks County. (Maybe give me something to do this weekend?) Yeah, dry them out and I would heavily apply cinnamon...added a good scent as well.   

79F / DP 54F

24 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Can't wait for mid-summer fall to end, global warming cold is the worst

Yet we will see 70's on Halloween and Christmas

Halloween will be cold. Why? Cause I'm the one who has to stand at the door and hand out candy. The only question regarding Christmas is: does Mt Holly go with Heat Advisories or Excessive Heat Warnings?

74F/DP 61F

• Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Halloween will be cold. Why? Cause I'm the one who has to stand at the door and hand out candy. The only question regarding Christmas is: does Mt Holly go with Heat Advisories or Excessive Heat Warnings?

74F/DP 61F

Halloween should be chilly 50's dropping into the 40's in the evening. 

37 minutes ago, FPizz said:

That is one day that I don't mind it being above average.  Kids can enjoy the day more.  

Call me crazy but back in the day I always wanted below normal temps and windy w/the leaves blowing around when I went house to house...  

75F / DP 59F

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Call me crazy but back in the day I always wanted below normal temps and windy w/the leaves blowing around when I went house to house...  

75F / DP 59F

I get that.  I never liked having to wear a coat over my costume as a kid, so project that on to all kids :D  

• Weenie 1

Has August been off to a chilly start? yes! the 1st 4 days are the coolest start to August in NWS history since 1894 in the Western Chester County philly burbs..of course that means some hot days ahead of us to help even us out before months end - below are the top 10 coldest starts to August

image.png.96525f64ae6d9508734993465eca11e3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1