• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2021 OBS Thread

JTA66

The storms with the front are weak sauce, and perfectly tracking to miss me. 

Funny funny stuff man after being so damn wet for close to 6 weeks all kinds of rain chances the last 10 days and been missed by every one of them becoming sprinkles. The gardens and such in the neighborhood be getting dry :(

*** The flood weekend fail locally was a special kind of fail, such will often lead to mini droughts

• Sad 1

I ended up with a grand total of 0.01" and some pots overturned.  But thankfully I still have my power. But about 4 miles north of here in the Jenkintown area (and am guessing the surrounding and nearby communities like Glenside, Roslyn, Elkins Park, Melrose Park, etc..) got hit pretty bad.  KYW said there are a lot of power outages and downed trees in that area and included Willow Grove and Blue Bell in the damage area.

Temp here is recovering and back up to 72 and overcast with dp at 65.

Storm slid just to the south of me here in Levittown with just some distant rumbles and moderate rain. My best friend called me from his office in the Ambler/Blue Bell area though and said there was a ton of wind damage. Multiple trees down blocking roadways. He showed me a pic that looked to be ping pong sized hail with some larger stones thrown in. The video he sent me showed at least 70 mph winds imo. Looked like a hurricane. 

• Like 1

Had a warned cell here too, got like 2 hailstones, but plenty of wind and about a quarter inch of rain. Tree across the street lost a couple of large branches, some small stuff here, but not too bad overall. Looking forward to the nice cool-off!

Funny, my phone changed hailstones to gallstones.

My sister's power is out (looks like her whole township is out) and she texted a couple pics that she said people in the area posted.  It literally looked like a winter sleetfest except with hail.  Yards and driveways covered with probably 1/2" deep of hail plus trees snapped - I think one of the pics was from Flourtown. :o

The sun is out here (first time this long all day due to the haze), although the temp continues to creep up and is at 77 but at least the dp is below 70 and is at 68.

Wicked storm damage driving through the Ambler/Blue Bell area an hour ago.  Numerous large trees down, some ripped up by the roots.  I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they didn’t have 70-80 mph wind gusts with that kind of damage.

We had short power outage earlier but no severe.  Moderate shower coming through now.  Thank you Jesus. Ac is off and windows open.  Will leave you with this pic.  My unfinished bay cottage. Eagle just chillin on the beach last Saturday.  It was freaking hot!  

FC577893-780F-44A7-9EDA-E73BBF4B6FB1.jpeg

• Like 6

I just watched a cell just blow up out of nowhere, literally a couple blocks from me (could see it out the window).  Getting thunder now although it's generally east of me at the moment.  I am literally on the western fringe of it.  It blew up over the  couple blocks of Wyndmoor that might have still had power (I think my side of the county line and theirs share the same substation).

radar21-07212021.png

34 minutes ago, Lady Di said:

We had short power outage earlier but no severe.  Moderate shower coming through now.  Thank you Jesus. Ac is off and windows open.  Will leave you with this pic.  My unfinished bay cottage. Eagle just chillin on the beach last Saturday.  It was freaking hot!  

FC577893-780F-44A7-9EDA-E73BBF4B6FB1.jpeg

Nice spot for it!   Maybe looking for seagull food. :lol:

Got another hundredth of an inch being fringed by that cell so am up to 0.02" for the day so far, but am still grateful for the power.  Temp is 74 with dp up a bit to 70.

There are a whole pile of LSRs posted. But one caught my attention - for a report at Cape May Point - https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?new&prod=XXXLSRPHI&wfo=phi

0518 PM     MARINE TSTM WIND 9 WNW CAPE MAY POINT    38.99N 75.11W
 07/21/2021  M59 MPH          ANZ431             NJ   BUOY             

MEASURED AT BRANDYWINE SHOAL LIGHT (BRND1), 
             WITH A PEAK GUST OF 80MPH AT 5:24PM. 
             ANEMOMETER HEIGHT OF 23 METERS. 

The Brandywine Shoal Lighthouse has an anemometer on top and it reported an 80 mph gust.  A recent video of the lighthouse (you can see the anemometer at the top).  Am not sure who is maintaining it but it is an active/working lighthouse.

My sis said that she and her hubby drove around Wyndmoor and Erdenheim and she said it looked as if a tornado had hit.  I am assuming it was straight-line winds and/or a microburst since there didn't seem to be any rotation signals in that cell.  I do know when the gust front came through, it was pretty loud.  She said they counted at least 16 houses with trees that fell on that house and many streets are impassable due to trees ("dozens" of them) snapped at the base, many broken branches, and live wires across the roads.  She described what were literally leaves and branches ripped from the trees and exclaimed that she had never seen damage like that in her life (and we have seen plenty of tropical storms that did some major tree damage like the back to back years with TS Irene in 2011 and the... ahem.... *unmentionable* storm the following year (both pancaking rows of large street trees).

These were a few reports that were from areas within 5 miles of me -

0310 PM     TSTM WND GST     PLYMOUTH MEETING        40.11N 75.28W
 07/21/2021  M51 MPH          MONTGOMERY         PA   TRAINED SPOTTER  

0310 PM     HAIL             PLYMOUTH MEETING        40.11N 75.28W
 07/21/2021  E1.00 INCH       MONTGOMERY         PA   TRAINED SPOTTER  

0311 PM     HAIL             PLYMOUTH TWP            40.13N 75.30W
 07/21/2021  M1.00 INCH       MONTGOMERY         PA   PUBLIC           

HAIL, TO THE SIZE OF QUARTERS (FROM MPING). 

0325 PM     HAIL             FLOURTOWN               40.11N 75.21W
 07/21/2021  E1.00 INCH       MONTGOMERY         PA   PUBLIC           

PHOTO FROM SOCIAL MEDIA, HAIL ESTIMATED AT 
             QUARTER SIZE IN FLOURTOWN. TIME ESTIMATED 
             FROM RADAR. 

0330 PM     HAIL             GLENSIDE                40.10N 75.15W

0330 PM     HAIL             JENKINTOWN              40.09N 75.13W

3 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

There are a whole pile of LSRs posted. But one caught my attention - for a report at Cape May Point - https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?new&prod=XXXLSRPHI&wfo=phi

The Brandywine Shoal Lighthouse has an anemometer on top and it reported an 80 mph gust.  A recent video of the lighthouse (you can see the anemometer at the top).  Am not sure who is maintaining it but it is an active/working lighthouse.

My sis said that she and her hubby drove around Wyndmoor and Erdenheim and she said it looked as if a tornado had hit, I am assuming it was straight-line winds and/or a microburst since there didn't seem to be any rotation signals in that cell.  I do know when the gust front came through, it was pretty loud.  She said they counted at least 16 houses with trees that fell on that house and many streets are impassable due to trees ("dozens" of them) snapped at the base, many broken branches, and live wires across the roads.  She described what were literally leaves and branches ripped from the trees and exclaimed that she had never seen damage like that in her life (and we have seen plenty of tropical storms that did some major tree damage like the back to back years with TS Irene in 2011 and the... ahem.... *unmentionable* storm the following year (both pancaking rows of large street trees).

These were a few reports that were from areas within 5 miles of me -

I can believe it. I'm currently working in southern NJ and we had quite the gale rip through our site this afternoon. Went from "Oh, that's a nice breeze" to "OMG the shade canopy is about to lift off into outer orbit" in about 2 seconds. It's usually tethered with 20 lb sand bags but these were no match for the winds this afternoon. I think we got it down in just the knick of time though.

12 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

I can believe it. I'm currently working in southern NJ and we had quite the gale rip through our site this afternoon. Went from "Oh, that's a nice breeze" to "OMG the shade canopy is about to lift off into outer orbit" in about 2 seconds. It's usually tethered with 20 lb sand bags but these were no match for the winds this afternoon. I think we got it down in just the knick of time though.

Of all times for you to be out of town because it looked like a bunch of stuff blew through Reading this time.

5 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Of all times for you to be out of town because it looked like a bunch of stuff blew through Reading this time.

Right? My wife was texting me about all the rain and hail; it must have been really small because it melted before she could catch a break from work to go check it out. We got 1.03", and I got home just before that last line of storms rolled through. 

17 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Right? My wife was texting me about all the rain and hail; it must have been really small because it melted before she could catch a break from work to go check it out. We got 1.03", and I got home just before that last line of storms rolled through. 

I was watching the blobs rolling over that area and had wondered what the impact might have been when there was "radio silence" for a check in.  Didn't realize you were down in Jersey. :lol:

My sister in Wyndmoor still has power out (her whole neighborhood).  They made some progress with power restoration in her township (Springfield, Montco) but most of Wyndmoor and Erdenheim in the township, are still out. Her street always has issues too because they are at the bottom of a hill and the electric wires are running along a wooded creek on her side of the street, so downed trees and branches are a continual issue.

Saw this on NBC10's site -

The person who tweeted the pic lists herself in Jenkintown.  My sis said yesterday that when she drove around Wyndmoor and Erdenheim she saw the same type of thing - trees snapped at or near the base like the above pic.

I remember too back during the winters of 2013/2014 when there was similar major tree damage around the area (particularly for people who had white pines or "exploding" Bradford/Callery ornamental pear trees) from snow/ice load.

3 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Saw this on NBC10's site -

The person who tweeted the pic lists herself in Jenkintown.  My sis said yesterday that when she drove around Wyndmoor and Erdenheim she saw the same type of thing - trees snapped at or near the base like the above pic.

I remember too back during the winters of 2013/2014 when there was similar major tree damage around the area (particularly for people who had white pines or "exploding" Bradford/Callery ornamental pear trees) from snow/ice load.

That's insane! Yes, I know is wasn't a tornado but it sure looks like one with how those trees are sheared off. I probably lost a half dozen trees from last June's derecho but all of them were still attached to their root ball. Incredible damage for such a localized area. 

Doors and windows are open, got down to 62F overnight. 68F/DP 59F.

2 hours ago, JTA66 said:

That's insane! Yes, I know is wasn't a tornado but it sure looks like one with how those trees are sheared off. I probably lost a half dozen trees from last June's derecho but all of them were still attached to their root ball. Incredible damage for such a localized area. 

Doors and windows are open, got down to 62F overnight. 68F/DP 59F.

I guess if you think of the the wind mechanics and dynamics - I can see where briefly sustained strong winds over a short time frame might cause a tree with a large canopy like that, to rock back and forth, breaking the feeder/surface roots in the process, and finally toppling over with root mass intact and now exposed.

But in this case (and many others), the tree just snapped, as if smacked by the rapid onset of a very strong, concentrated, and directed force of wind. :o 

It's like something you see happen with major hurricanes at a landfall.  The trees might not get chance to rock and uproot/topple.  The bark gets stripped, the branches get defoliated as they are ripped off, and the tree trunk eventually snaps.

I remember the pics out of the FL panhandle near where Hurricane Michael made landfall as a CAT 5 back in 2018.  You had trees along the highways looking like this -

I4QK4CSXIMI6TKUDKBHQQ27V2Y.jpg

Anyway, the 63 was my low and it's currently partly cloudy and a confortable 76 with dp 59.  Really nice out!

Chilling on the porch :oldman: and up comes the biggest freaking bee I ever did see. This thing was terrifying like 3" body at least. All escape routes cutoff! Pick up the only weapon available, a huge battle axe...err umm broom. Holding it out in a defense posture so the dang thing keeps it's distance and flies away, but no. The bastard determines the games afoot and comes closer zooming right and left, obviously trying to calculate the correct time to speed forward for the kill! But no after several sweeps side to side it determines now is not the time for the kamikaze attack and slowly turns and flies off, not unlike a small drone. 

First thoughts were I spotted my first cicada killer. Unfortunately the solid stripes on the body didn't match the irregular ones of that species. Orangish yellow black and white stripes both common hornets and...gasp murder hornets have :yikes:

• Weenie 1

19 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Chilling on the porch :oldman: and up comes the biggest freaking bee I ever did see. This thing was terrifying like 3" body at least. All escape routes cutoff! Pick up the only weapon available, a huge battle axe...err umm broom. Holding it out in a defense posture so the dang thing keeps it's distance and flies away, but no. The bastard determines the games afoot and comes closer zooming right and left, obviously trying to calculate the correct time to speed forward for the kill! But no after several sweeps side to side it determines now is not the time for the kamikaze attack and slowly turns and flies off, not unlike a small drone. 

First thoughts were I spotted my first cicada killer. Unfortunately the solid stripes on the body didn't match the irregular ones of that species. Orangish yellow black and white stripes both common hornets and...gasp murder hornets have :yikes:

LOL  I think I saw one of those yesterday when I was out on the front of the house near my car.  First thing that came to mind based on the size was cicada killer. But I wasn't sure because it was too busy following me and I had no weapon like my spiked swatter or a broom. :lol:  I tried to wait for it to land when I got a little distance away, in order to see the front of it better, and it definitely wasn't a murder hornet or a bald-faced hornet (I have had to deal with the large bald-faced ones before).  But it was pretty big, but somewhat long and slender, and I believe the cicada killers nest in the ground, so they will hang around the ground like mine did.

Currently just hit 80 here and dp at 59.