Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2021 OBS Thread

JTA66

7 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Stupid question...what do the white circles represent, thunder?

Like everyone else, that storm woke me up @2am. Thought it would miss me to the NW, but I got clipped by it. I'd say about 20-30 minutes of heavy rain that produced .60" here.

I feel so bad for the folks who got hammered yesterday. I saw interviews with people who said they've lived there for decades and never experience flooding. That's what 8"-10" in a few hours will do. Haven't heard of any loss of life, so that's a positive.

71F/DP 70F

Yep. I think there's an option to turn them off but I was in a panic to try to grab the screen in case my power went out. Here's the site I use: http://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#m=ses;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=0.00;ts=0;

9 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Yep. I think there's an option to turn them off but I was in a panic to try to grab the screen in case my power went out. Here's the site I use: http://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#m=ses;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=0.00;ts=0;

I didn't recognize your screenshot but am guessing it was because you had the satellite overlay layer on yours!   I did a screenie of the site last night about 7:45 pm just to pinpoint where the activity was at that time based on how my sensor was reacting (and I usually use them to confirm in any case). :thumbsup:

lightning-maps-744pm-07122021.PNG

It's absolutely atrocious outside right now. My wife and I tried to do some simple yard work just now (clearing out some overgrown weeds behind my shed) and we were both completely drenched with sweat after only 10 minutes. Had to call it quits. And here I was, thinking I'd become acclimatized to this. Ha ha ha nope.

image.png.22db11ddae1b4a60f44a13a5b2b08d4c.png

• Weenie 1

8 hours ago, Newman said:

It's gotta be like 5 of the last 7 days the Berks/Lehigh Valley have been under a Severe Thunderstorm Watch. Can't remember the last time we've been under such a consecutive streak of possible severe days.

you are spot on. But in retrospect, I have had only an inch or so of rain and very little severe t- storms in western lehigh County during the entire time. Even those rains occurred overnight in dying diurnal t storms only to refire near Philly to the SE or northern NJ to the NE the next day.   I swear this situation is just like winter snow storms.  The severe t storms have been very localized too.  What I have noticed is a persistent pattern of t storms firing up in the areas between Altoona and State College in the afternoon and racing up through NY  in the last three days. Any that come east of Williamsport have either died out or missed SE PA.  That 10 inch rain in Bucks county came from a dying and training t- storm yesterday. That was very telling of of the lack of steering winds in our area too from the stalled fronts.

On 7/12/2021 at 6:46 PM, Hurricane Agnes said:

I got Snagit a couple months ago and have been wanting to fool with it to do an animated gif of a GR2Level3 loop and managed to give it a test shot for the hell of it to see what all was involved.

Apparently the outflow boundary of that convective complex washed over my area and my temp is down to 77 with dp 74.  Pretty dramatic change in a relative sense!

2021-07-12_18-57-17.gif

SnagIt is great but those animated gifs are a killer on this site's attachment limit (I think 40MB?) I would post animated gifs but would have to empty my attachment "trash can" every other day. Your image is 4.55MB...

attachment.jpg

29 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

SnagIt is great but those animated gifs are a killer on this site's attachment limit (I think 40MB?) I would post animated gifs but would have to empty my attachment "trash can" every other day. Your image is 4.55MB...

attachment.jpg

Yeah they have an option to reduce the size and I later realized how to edit the captured video to save just one initial multi-frame loop (which for a later attempt, was for 3 seconds covering about 12 frames) and then have it set to loop itself. Doing that would also allow a higher res version for not much difference in size.  I have the super duper membership so I can actually upload up to 19 Mb-sized files (since I like doing the hurricane sat loops), but I know I can clear out some of the older stuff too.  That one I posted was sortof testing doing it. :lol:

My low this morning was 72 and I'm currently overcast and 75 with dp 73.  We seem to be in a similar situation as yesterday morning (including fog here earlier), where we are mostly under the influence of the troughy part of the front. But once that lifts up again, look out.  I have a feeling that the sun might be out earlier today than it was here yesterday (which didn't happen until the early afternoon).

1 minute ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Yeah they have an option to reduce the size and I later realized how to edit the captured video to save just one initial multi-frame loop (which for a later attempt, was for 3 seconds covering about 12 frames) and then have it set to loop itself. Doing that would also allow a higher res version for not much difference in size.  I have the super duper membership so I can actually upload up to 19 Mb-sized files (since I like doing the hurricane sat loops), but I know I can clear out some of the older stuff too.  That one I posted was sortof testing doing it. :lol:

My low this morning was 72 and I'm currently overcast and 75 with dp 73.  We seem to be in a similar situation as yesterday morning (including fog here earlier), where we are mostly under the influence of the troughy part of the front. But once that lifts up again, look out.  I have a feeling that the sun might be out earlier today than it was here yesterday (which didn't happen until the early afternoon).

I was going to ask/mention, I thought you did. I have to empty my attachment trash can all the time.

Yeah, SnagIt is great, saved my ass many times. Work, leisure and all around... 

73F / DP 72F

29 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I was going to ask/mention, I thought you did. I have to empty my attachment trash can all the time.

Yeah, SnagIt is great, saved my ass many times. Work, leisure and all around... 

73F / DP 72F

Yeah, pretty regularly I have to delete some files too, I sort by size to get the largest ones first, but all the low hanging fruit is gone. Mostly now I delete radar snapshots.

78F here, dp 74, pretty much full sun, and been that way. I did some stuff outside from 8:30 to 9 and had to change my shirt already.

10 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Yeah, pretty regularly I have to delete some files too, I sort by size to get the largest ones first, but all the low hanging fruit is gone. Mostly now I delete radar snapshots.

78F here, dp 74, pretty much full sun, and been that way. I did some stuff outside from 8:30 to 9 and had to change my shirt already.

All the time and sort by size as well.

Cloudy/foggy/misty here...muggy/High Dp though.

74.jpg

Hard to believe there are people in this region with dry problems. It's been a veritable rain forest locally since Memorial Day weekend. CoCoRahs are running near twice normal. Weather World 30 day outlook has the frequent rain pattern continuing, for some? 

Also, regular discussion of being near the top performer in 90F days in the NYC region, and yet July is on pace to finish...below normal. 

• Weenie 1

9 hours ago, RedSky said:

Hard to believe there are people in this region with dry problems. It's been a veritable rain forest locally since Memorial Day weekend. CoCoRahs are running near twice normal. Weather World 30 day outlook has the frequent rain pattern continuing, for some? 

Also, regular discussion of being near the top performer in 90F days in the NYC region, and yet July is on pace to finish...below normal. 

Not sure if anyone is having dry problems, it's just been real feast or famine since last Friday. Lots of action, but not for everyone. Too much in some spots, and longing radar watching from others, lol. Here we've had 0.25" since last Friday, but 3.41" total for July, so it's not dry here anyway.

About the temperatures, it would be nice to have historical dewpoint data, I'm sure these days we're above normal dewpoint-wise, and that's become pretty typical for July and August.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Not sure if anyone is having dry problems, it's just been real feast or famine since last Friday. Lots of action, but not for everyone. Too much in some spots, and longing radar watching from others, lol. Here we've had 0.25" since last Friday, but 3.41" total for July, so it's not dry here anyway.

About the temperatures, it would be nice to have historical dewpoint data, I'm sure these days we're above normal dewpoint-wise, and that's become pretty typical for July and August.

Half way into July my backyard station shows an average DP of 68.1°F. Might be worth it to try to find some data from years past in my area, but from a quick glance it appears that DP is a couple of degrees higher on average than this time last year.