Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2021 OBS Thread

JTA66

20 minutes ago, weathernut85 said:

I guess I should be relieved to not have flash floods, but here in Overbrook Park we got maybe 5 raindrops total, same as it’s been all weekend as every thunderstorm complex has dissipated somewhere in central Delco or the mainline on its way here. 

my garden needed some of these storms today ugh :(

I'm getting some rain here, enough to wet the ground so far, and it looks like you should get some too, even if not a downpour.

1 hour ago, weathernut85 said:

Dissipated again! Just a quick spritz and distant thunder here to mock me lol. Never thought I’d turn into a summertime weenie lol :weenie:

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Looks like the atmosphere got tired and quit for the night

Yeah, we had radar reds and thunder west, south and east, and wound up with a driveway wetter with dryness under the trees. Did cool things off a bit but dewpoint is still 74.

Looks like lower bucks is about to get hit again. Cell thankfully looks to be moving. Still looking at possibly hitting 5" on the day, I'll have to go through my records in the morning but I think I've only hit 5" in a 24 hour period only twice in my roughly 25 years living in Levittown.  Probably the worst flash flooding though I've ever seen in these parts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Iceman said:

Looks like lower bucks is about to get hit again. Cell thankfully looks to be moving. Still looking at possibly hitting 5" on the day, I'll have to go through my records in the morning but I think I've only hit 5" in a 24 hour period only twice in my roughly 25 years living in Levittown.  Probably the worst flash flooding though I've ever seen in these parts.

Heard on KYW that Mt. Holly was estimating it as a 100 year flood.  Found the tweet about it -

I ended up with 0.05" yesterday.

Currently 72 IMBY (will probably be my low) with some stratus, fog, and mist and a dp at 72.

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Woke my ass up......distant thunder.

dt.jpg

Wasn't distant for me! That was one heck of a storm that rolled through around 2am--and I'm the type to usually sleep through those. I managed to screenshot some of the lightning we were experiencing before shutting down my PC. My house is somewhere around where it says Muhlenberg (it's in the upper middle if you can make that out). Gave us .42".

612187940_lightningJuly132am.thumb.JPG.eb3dae63d1dc3e4e09077094f4244c39.JPG

28 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Wasn't distant for me! That was one heck of a storm that rolled through around 2am--and I'm the type to usually sleep through those. I managed to screenshot some of the lightning we were experiencing before shutting down my PC. My house is somewhere around where it says Muhlenberg (it's in the upper middle if you can make that out). Gave us .42".

I annotated your image to show where you are talking about.  The wobbly nature of that warm front is going to be the determinant on where stuff sets up.  Some places do seem to have wrung much of the moisture out of the air but then if the sun comes out and heats things up, it'll destabilize again.  I know the lightning around the metro area was off the charts yesterday.

ETA - the fog has picked up a bit around here, probably around 1/4 - 1/2 mile vis.

1477966454_lightningJuly132am.JPG.cc4941c3ff19278ff062a2f84b12c49e-annotated-07132021.jpg

3 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Stupid question...what do the white circles represent, thunder?

Like everyone else, that storm woke me up @2am. Thought it would miss me to the NW, but I got clipped by it. I'd say about 20-30 minutes of heavy rain that produced .60" here.

I feel so bad for the folks who got hammered yesterday. I saw interviews with people who said they've lived there for decades and never experience flooding. That's what 8"-10" in a few hours will do. Haven't heard of any loss of life, so that's a positive.

71F/DP 70F

2 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Stupid question...what do the white circles represent, thunder?

I'm not sure what site that is from but If you go to similar lightning map sites like "lightningmaps.org" -  https://www.lightningmaps.org where they depict a lightning strike on the map with a dot that flashes when a strike is detected and then it generates a graphic of a circle that radiates out from the dot.  The dots are often color-coded to depict how long ago the strike was registered, and will eventually disappear off the map.  I expect it is more for a dramatic visualization vs anything that is meaningful other than maybe the possible intensity (but I don't know if those sites get that fancy with quantitative measuring vs qualitative registering).

I have a lightning sensor from Ambient and on their lightning map, the circle that is generated depicts the estimated radius between the sensor location and the general area where the lightning strike appeared to have originated.  The console display actually reports the estimate of how far away and how long ago a strike occurred, although I'm not sure if that distance value is captured in the database... haven't had chance to do a deep dive into that yet. I know it at least counts and saves the number of strikes and I'm still fooling around with weewx to get it to at least correctly graph the number strikes per set time increment.  For my sensor, Ambient claims the sensor (WH31L) has a range of about 25 mile (40 km).   I think the average furthest I've spotted mine detecting was about 17 - 21 miles (radius) away.  Being up in the hills obviously helps.

Well if I had known the temp wouldn't have hit 80 here by now, I coulda put the oven on! :lol:  Currently 74 with dp 72 and overcast/misty.  There was some drizzle earlier this morning here, enough to somewhat wet the sidewalk but nothing measurable so far.

Attached a snapshot of my sensor detecting a strike around 3:22 pm yesterday as a note...

lightning-322pm-07122021.PNG

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, weathernut85 said:

(I hate using tap water for my houseplants lol)

LOL  I put clean buckets out and will collect rain water and store it in old milk/water jugs.  I have a couple sensitive houseplants that hate the fluoride but seem to appreciate the rain water (I had been initially giving those distilled water but that can get burdensome purchasing after awhile).

And here it is, now at 1:30 pm, the clouds and mist have lifted, the sun has finally come out, and the dp has soared again.  So I guess the sag in the warm front has moved to the north.  Currently up to 81 and rising with dp 75.

11 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

LOL  I put clean buckets out and will collect rain water and store it in old milk/water jugs.  I have a couple sensitive houseplants that hate the fluoride but seem to appreciate the rain water (I had been initially giving those distilled water but that can get burdensome purchasing after awhile).

So I’m not the only houseplant parent that spoils the kiddies! If only they knew how much angst I put myself through when we go stretches without heavy rain! Lol

2 minutes ago, weathernut85 said:

So I’m not the only houseplant parent that spoils the kiddies! If only they knew how much angst I put myself through when we go stretches without heavy rain! Lol

A couple years ago, I even bought a couple 5-gallon jugs and a siphon to store some over the winter so I didn't have too many 1-gallon jugs hanging around and for those dry periods when the rain faucet (or as CoolHandMike calls it - the "free Skywater") shuts off!

I was just looking at the radar and a couple blips have been trying to get started in south-central PA around York & Lancaster County so will see what happens with the atmosphere and rain today (I only got 0.05" yesterday).

• Haha 1