• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2021 OBS Thread

JTA66

Just got home not long ago from my sister's house in Upper Darby and it's currently 68 with dp 65, so the dews are creeping up.  Earlier this afternoon, her area got some light rain from what looked like some nasty blob that sideswiped them to the east (we could see the dark clouds), cut across the city and then the river, and finally blew through South Jersey.

Her whole neighborhood (including her) had the fireworks going this evening plus where she lives up in the hills, you can look down her street and see the downtown fireworks.  My whole trip home with my other sis featured firecrackers going in every neighborhood we drove through to get out to Wyndmoor so I could drop her and my niece off. lol  I guess people were making up for last year.

1 minute ago, CoolHandMike said:

Interesting! I heard one this morning as well. Just the one time, and then I haven't heard it since. Maybe it's just one guy, making the rounds lol.

I heard it twice...not sure if it was the same one going through the motions or another one? Anyhow, they're here...   

On 7/4/2021 at 9:50 PM, KamuSnow said:

Agreed. 71F here, tons of fireworks going off all over. The air is actually smoky, and none of our nextdoor neighbors are even setting any off. Pretty funny.

23 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

68F / DP 64F...no wind, clouds of smoke.

I swear it's a booze male ego thing. Once one person sets off a aerial display...sticks of dynamite. There's a pause...then the next neighbor has a larger display and more sticks of dynamite. And the wheel goes round and round..

Overall, good displays, loud bombs but could use a breeze...I mean it's dead calm. No breeze also means bugs gnats hanging around messing with me... 

22 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Just got home not long ago from my sister's house in Upper Darby and it's currently 68 with dp 65, so the dews are creeping up.  Earlier this afternoon, her area got some light rain from what looked like some nasty blob that sideswiped them to the east (we could see the dark clouds), cut across the city and then the river, and finally blew through South Jersey.

Her whole neighborhood (including her) had the fireworks going this evening plus where she lives up in the hills, you can look down her street and see the downtown fireworks.  My whole trip home with my other sis featured firecrackers going in every neighborhood we drove through to get out to Wyndmoor so I could drop her and my niece off. lol  I guess people were making up for last year.

I wish people would be a bit more civically minded about their fireworks privledges. The new law that allows them to be set off in PA has caused a lot of problems in Reading and a few other places. If anything it should only be one day. Of course people could donate to the mucipal Fourth of July funds so everyone could enjoy a really spectacular professional display instead of a ho-hum hundred foot back yard display. Part of the beuaty of fireworks is the coordinated effort. That being said Im very excited for the Semi-bicentennial thats coming up in a few years! 

• Weenie 1

8 hours ago, zenmsav6810 said:

I wish people would be a bit more civically minded about their fireworks privledges. The new law that allows them to be set off in PA has caused a lot of problems in Reading and a few other places. If anything it should only be one day. Of course people could donate to the mucipal Fourth of July funds so everyone could enjoy a really spectacular professional display instead of a ho-hum hundred foot back yard display. Part of the beuaty of fireworks is the coordinated effort. That being said Im very excited for the Semi-bicentennial thats coming up in a few years! 

The little $19.99 consumer pack of "fireworks" from the Acme that my sister got (which have always been legal - basically sparklers, and ground stuff like the little spinner thingys, and small tube fountain things) are no where near the level of the aerial types that were recently legalized in PA.  I.e., stuff that won't (and didn't) completely freak out my little grand-nieces and grand-nephews who really can't do "professional" fireworks (it's too much for them - which is often the case for the infant - 7 year old set).  Her street has had more young families move in recently and thus more little kids are around on their bikes and scooters, and after the past year of lockdowns, they seemed to enjoy being out and about around the other kids on the street - especially for the little "home" fireworks displays.  I told my sis that it looks like her street is now at a period (aside from lingering COVID issues) where they could actually have a decent block party. :D

As an obs, my low this morning was 72 and when I went out earlier to put a reflector thing up for my car windshield, I felt the soup.  Current temp is 76 with dp 71 so... here we go! :yikes:

12 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

The little $19.99 consumer pack of "fireworks" from the Acme that my sister got (which have always been legal - basically sparklers, and ground stuff like the little spinner thingys, and small tube fountain things) are no where near the level of the aerial types that were recently legalized in PA.  I.e., stuff that won't (and didn't) completely freak out my little grand-nieces and grand-nephews who really can't do "professional" fireworks (it's too much for them - which is often the case for the infant - 7 year old set).  Her street has had more young families move in recently and thus more little kids are around on their bikes and scooters, and after the past year of lockdowns, they seemed to enjoy being out and about around the other kids on the street - especially for the little "home" fireworks displays.  I told my sis that it looks like her street is now at a period (aside from lingering COVID issues) where they could actually have a decent block party. :D

As an obs, my low this morning was 72 and when I went out earlier to put a reflector thing up for my car windshield, I felt the soup.  Current temp is 76 with dp 71 so... here we go! :yikes:

Yeah to be clear I have no issue with the glorified sparkler products. So carry on. Little kid ears can be really sensitive! 

I think its going to be a scorcher today! 

11 hours ago, zenmsav6810 said:

No offense but you're a little uptight. It's a couple days a year...usually when it falls on a weekend like this year. Otherwise it's one day, two max. 

PA HAD to pass the buying/setting off of fireworks.

1. PA people would buy fireworks from other states like myself (PA doesn't receive tax money, now they do)

2. Nothing the police can do with all the fireworks going off unless it's something major.

And wait till recreational marijuana becomes readily available in NJ. PA folks will go to NJ and PA will receive no tax money....so PA will make recreational marijuana legal.

It's all about money and PA always seems to be a step behind...

• Weenie 1

50 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

No offense but you're a little uptight. It's a couple days a year...usually when it falls on a weekend like this year. Otherwise it's one day, two max. 

PA HAD to pass the buying/setting off of fireworks.

1. PA people would buy fireworks from other states like myself (PA doesn't receive tax money, now they do)

2. Nothing the police can do with all the fireworks going off unless it's something major.

And wait till recreational marijuana becomes readily available in NJ. PA folks will go to NJ and PA will receive no tax money....so PA will make recreational marijuana legal.

It's all about money and PA always seems to be a step behind...

Well considering the other three members of my family were once nearly killed in a car accident by someone high on cannabis-- I have every right to be uptight. If you ask me the Philippines have the right approach. 

• Weenie 1

DISCUSSION...Isolated to widely scattered strong/severe storms have
   developed over western NY as of 16z within an air mass characterized
   by moderate MLCAPE and generally weak (at or below 25 kts) effective
   shear values. Despite the lack of large-scale forcing, additional
   thunderstorm development is anticipated over central portions of NY
   and in the vicinity of a surface trough from the Delaware Valley
   into southern New England as remaining weak MLCIN is removed through
   daytime heating, with multiple multicell clusters moving generally
   east/southeast this afternoon.  A belt of enhanced westerly flow
   averaging 35-40 kts will result in a risk for damaging downburst
   winds with the stronger storms and clusters.  Generally weak
   deep-layer shear and poor mid-level lapse rates will temper the hail
   risk, however a few stronger updrafts may be capable of marginally
   severe hail.

Given the expected development, one or more Severe Thunderstorm
   Watches is expected by early afternoon.

5 minutes ago, Newman said:

DISCUSSION...Isolated to widely scattered strong/severe storms have
   developed over western NY as of 16z within an air mass characterized
   by moderate MLCAPE and generally weak (at or below 25 kts) effective
   shear values. Despite the lack of large-scale forcing, additional
   thunderstorm development is anticipated over central portions of NY
   and in the vicinity of a surface trough from the Delaware Valley
   into southern New England as remaining weak MLCIN is removed through
   daytime heating, with multiple multicell clusters moving generally
   east/southeast this afternoon.  A belt of enhanced westerly flow
   averaging 35-40 kts will result in a risk for damaging downburst
   winds with the stronger storms and clusters.  Generally weak
   deep-layer shear and poor mid-level lapse rates will temper the hail
   risk, however a few stronger updrafts may be capable of marginally
   severe hail.

Given the expected development, one or more Severe Thunderstorm
   Watches is expected by early afternoon.

I've been waiting for the big, puffy cumulous clouds to form as it's been extremely clear all morning. I am just now seeing them creeping over the horizon to the NW.

image.png.d3ebe9d129b9f723196d47db4e7f0f29.png

Thar she blows from SPC -

Severe Thunderstorm Watch

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 336
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
130 PM EDT TUE JUL 6 2021

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 336 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1000 PM EDT
FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

PAC011-017-025-029-043-045-071-075-077-089-091-095-101-107-133-
070200-
/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0336.210706T1730Z-210707T0200Z/

PA