• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western PA/Pittsburgh Summer Discussion 2021

6 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Chilly this morning.  About 52.  Needed a jacket, was pretty nice though and had that Fall feeling.

Could knock a couple degrees off that tomorrow morning, 40s possible. Looks like a perfect early fall stretch coming up. Should have a below normal Labor Day weekend to complete the trifecta of below normal temperatures on summer holiday weekends this year. Models are fairly consistent in bringing the ridge back next weekend but it’s way too early to think about that.

Places out east got hammered. Ef4 tornado ripped through NJ. 10+ inches of rain fell in parts and it was just pure chaos. I saw a radar graphic of a place in Tennessee got 17 inches of rain in 3 hours. This storm while not on the level of Katrina sure did a lot of damage 

Some hot weather stats from around the region:

Second warmest summer on record at Erie

image.png.6f2dc7e8ea53fcbf8805f415223d30dd.png

Seventh warmest summer on record at Morgantown

image.png.c8d50e7c22322744b1effa1926bd46a2.png

Eighth warmest summer on record at Wheeling (a lot of missing data here from 1954-1997, but this was a period of mostly mild summers - only 1988, 1991 and 1995 are really candidates to be on this list, maybe 1973, 1983, 1987).

image.png.960d6084e9eb73c13b6fd9ffa66136d3.png

Also, warmest on record at Dubois (tying last year) but records only go back to 1963, as there is no station thread for this site:

image.png.468f73032a345d80d4096928fed922a9.png

Is it mostly because the high temps were higher or the lows were higher?

just curious because it just felt like the days weren’t too too hot but the nights were a over average for the most part. No facts to back that up just how it felt to me. 

just wondering what is driving most of the records, the highs or the lows? 

6 hours ago, PghPirates27 said:

Is it mostly because the high temps were higher or the lows were higher?

just curious because it just felt like the days weren’t too too hot but the nights were a over average for the most part. No facts to back that up just how it felt to me. 

just wondering what is driving most of the records, the highs or the lows? 

Probably lows, because there weren't many 90 degree days (below average on those).

1 minute ago, Ahoff said:

Probably lows, because there weren't many 90 degree days (below average on those).

I see the guy used Morgantown, Erie, Wheeling and Dubois, but not Pittsburgh. But I would say lows, at least at Pittsburgh. June was +1.7 for highs and +2.0 for lows, July was -1.0 for highs and -0.2 for lows, and August was +1.9 for highs and +3.1 for lows.

4 hours ago, TimB84 said:

I see the guy used Morgantown, Erie, Wheeling and Dubois, but not Pittsburgh. But I would say lows, at least at Pittsburgh. June was +1.7 for highs and +2.0 for lows, July was -1.0 for highs and -0.2 for lows, and August was +1.9 for highs and +3.1 for lows.

Thanks for this. That confirms what I was thinking but with actual numbers. 

5 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Yeah, when looking at Pittsburgh that has about 150 years of data, this year isn't too impressive overall.

1 minute ago, Ahoff said:

Yeah, when looking at Pittsburgh that has about 150 years of data, this year isn't too impressive overall.

You’ll still have a hard time convincing me that we have much more than 73 years of data that isn’t at the very least somewhat suspect. September 1881 had the same average temperature as July 2020? I mean, come on.

• 1 month later...
Is there a reason that there are frost and freeze warnings all the way to the Atlantic coast and down to TN.  But not here?  Forecast is for 31 from the NWS.
Did we already have one that I missed?

No we did not have one, but as of yesterday kpit came out and officially announced the end of the growing season for Nov 1. Therefore ending their frost and freeze advisories until spring time.

12 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

No we did not have one, but as of yesterday kpit came out and officially announced the end of the growing season for Nov 1. Therefore ending their frost and freeze advisories until spring time.

That's weird, considering it didn't drop below freezing until this morning.