• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Western PA/Pittsburgh Summer Discussion 2021

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

Seems big heat is backing off even more.  Boring.  But give me 80 and sunny and that’s alright by me.  So, hopefully rain is kept to a minimum.

I can get behind that, minimal rain would mean the humidity has been kept at bay. The 6z GFS run looks very wet (5.1” over the model run) but it largely seems like most runs of the models haven’t been notably wet.

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

I can get behind that, minimal rain would mean the humidity has been kept at bay. The 6z GFS run looks very wet (5.1” over the model run) but it largely seems like most runs of the models haven’t been notably wet.

Yeah, again 6z GFS, lol!  Looks like, for now, it is an unstable pattern, with pop ups at times, but mainly dry area wide most days.  Low humidity would be ideal.

2 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Yeah, again 6z GFS, lol!  Looks like, for now, it is an unstable pattern, with pop ups at times, but mainly dry area wide most days.  Low humidity would be ideal.

Humidity seems high for the most part, though maybe we’ll get a few days here and there where dewpoints drop into the 50s. That’s about the best we can really ask for in June anyway.

19 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Humidity seems high for the most part, though maybe we’ll get a few days here and there where dewpoints drop into the 50s. That’s about the best we can really ask for in June anyway.

Yeah, I don't ever expect low humidity from late May through early September.  When we get it, especially when really warm, it's amazing.  The first half of the 8 day heat wave last July was low humidity and felt great.  Second half you could feel the difference.

4 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Yeah, I don't ever expect low humidity from late May through early September.  When we get it, especially when really warm, it's amazing.  The first half of the 8 day heat wave last July was low humidity and felt great.  Second half you could feel the difference.

I lived in AZ for a few years (not Phoenix, that’s too hot) but even 100-105 feels pretty decent at least in the shade when the humidity is almost nonexistent. It’s amazing how much of a difference it makes. I’ll take that over even a temperature of 75 and a dewpoint of 70.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

W/NW flow? I’m honestly not sure.

No clue.  No real reason, that I can see.  Anyway I expect 85 or 86 for a high tomorrow now.  So much for a heat wave, but can't wait to see how close to 100 Burlington, VT, Syracuse, NY and Portland, ME get.

5 hours ago, Ahoff said:

No clue.  No real reason, that I can see.  Anyway I expect 85 or 86 for a high tomorrow now.  So much for a heat wave, but can't wait to see how close to 100 Burlington, VT, Syracuse, NY and Portland, ME get.

PIT 86 today, Syracuse 93, Burlington 88, Portland 86.

18 hours ago, Ahoff said:

We'll see some of those temperatures soar higher tomorrow, hint not ours.

I just can't understand how Syracuse gets that hot, they must be at sea level or something.

All 3 of your favorite places that get hotter than Pittsburgh on a regular basis sit at 400 feet or lower, while KPIT is at like 1200 feet. All 3 are at least 5 degrees ahead of us at this juncture and probably have less cloud cover at the moment than we do. I’d be surprised if today tops out even a degree higher than yesterday.

Edit: KSYR is reporting mostly cloudy. So maybe not correct on the cloud cover.

Late afternoon update: Syracuse has reached 91, Burlington 94. Temps stalled at Portland so they didn’t get to 90 but are still ahead of us.

7 hours ago, TimB84 said:

All 3 of your favorite places that get hotter than Pittsburgh on a regular basis sit at 400 feet or lower, while KPIT is at like 1200 feet. All 3 are at least 5 degrees ahead of us at this juncture and probably have less cloud cover at the moment than we do. I’d be surprised if today tops out even a degree higher than yesterday.

Edit: KSYR is reporting mostly cloudy. So maybe not correct on the cloud cover.

Late afternoon update: Syracuse has reached 91, Burlington 94. Temps stalled at Portland so they didn’t get to 90 but are still ahead of us.

So, I wasn’t wrong.  May have reached 88.  I have the weather app on the phone set to KPIT and it held at 88 for a while.  Usually it’s pretty good, sometimes it’s off a degree, but only every once in a while.

Update: Nope, 87.

2 hours ago, Ahoff said:

So, I wasn’t wrong.  May have reached 88.  I have the weather app on the phone set to KPIT and it held at 88 for a while.  Usually it’s pretty good, sometimes it’s off a degree, but only every once in a while.

Update: Nope, 87.

Burlington hit 95 and Syracuse 93.

57 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

It's insane.  But in winter we definitely won't get colder them.

Well yeah, Syracuse gets 3x the snow we do and Burlington gets double our snow. Much easier to get colder when your climo allows you to get and maintain snow cover, which we all know happens very rarely in Pittsburgh except for this past February.

38 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Well yeah, Syracuse gets 3x the snow we do and Burlington gets double our snow. Much easier to get colder when your climo allows you to get and maintain snow cover, which we all know happens very rarely in Pittsburgh except for this past February.

But that's my point, they are able to get that kind of cold and this kind of heat, being much farther north than us.

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

Has made it to 87 today, for once we off shot the forecast.

Also, the thunder drought is over here.

Looks like a nice solid garden variety thunderstorm coming through. Hoping it doesn’t miss me.

Edit: it got me

Also officially hit 88 today, warmest day of the year so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Looks like a nice solid garden variety thunderstorm coming through. Hoping it doesn’t miss me.

Edit: it got me

Also officially hit 88 today, warmest day of the year so far.

Odd the day not forecast to be anywhere near the warmest ends up as such, go figure, lol.

Anyway see point currently 72!  And it feels like it.