• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Observations 2021

yotaman

Areas in NC east of US Route 1 have been cashing in on rain for several weeks now.  You can see that in the last month of rainfall.

It looks like the models are going to maintain the trend, too.  The I-85/Hwy 29 corridor might remain substantially drier than eastern NC and the mountains for the foreseeable future.

AAE91F20-C38C-4591-B379-DF9F6A80AEFB.jpeg

• Sad 1

Every model shows the trend I’m talking about.   I could see it at the micro level with storm after storm passing to my NW and SE, but then you confirm it on precipitation maps and see the models.  It’s pretty frustrating.  You’d think just one good system could bring the bulk of precipitation up I-85 at some point.

211E17E2-269B-4621-914D-D1ECA62C124F.gif

1 hour ago, magpiemaniac said:

9.03” for June?  That’s insane.  IMBY, I have to add up daily totals all the back to April 10 to break the 9” mark.

Yeah pretty unbelievable after such a dry April and May. Mother Nature has been smiling on us this month.

I’m putting this here because it is the most active thread. I was going over all my saved links from the past and ran across this one that I had completely forgotten about. You may already know this one but in case you don’t I am posting the link. It is worldwide but can zoom on to local. It has many, many layers you can view from wind patterns to ocean wave patterns to pollution levels. One of the more interesting things to me is the world wide webcams. It is just stop action over the past 24 hours but there are hundreds of them from Montana to Mongolia. I hope you enjoy playing around with it while we endure the summer heat.

https://www.windy.com/-Satellite-satellite?satellite,2021-06-29-12,47.010,-98.262,4

• Like 2

On 6/26/2021 at 3:20 PM, jburns said:

Where are you in North Jersey? I grew up in NJ.

I was in Morris and Sussex County.   I know you taught and lived in West Milford.   I was more in the Lafayette area where I grew up.  I drive around to Sunrise Mtn , Frankford, Newton, Sparta, Jefferson area. I drove around Dover, Rockaway, Roxbury as well and saw a bunch of friends I haven't seen in a while. It was nice to be back home, but it definitely has changed since I left there in 1999. 

21 minutes ago, landof2rivers said:

I lived in Sussex county for a few months in 1990. I was in McAfee and traveled around the area. I enjoyed my time there.

Nice, I was in college then but lived there from 77-99. AS much as I loathe it back then, it was a great place to grow up. I miss some aspects of it but I couldnt live there today

3 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Every now and then you get lucky
Edit: Ended with an unexpected 0.18” today, up to 6.21” for June

Lucky?  You’ve been crushing it this month.  :P

I’m more likely to find tuna fish in a Subway sandwich than to get a decent rain here lately.  I’ve not had a good soaking rain since June 11 and May 3 before that.

On 6/28/2021 at 1:14 PM, Avdave said:

I was in Morris and Sussex County.   I know you taught and lived in West Milford.   I was more in the Lafayette area where I grew up.  I drive around to Sunrise Mtn , Frankford, Newton, Sparta, Jefferson area. I drove around Dover, Rockaway, Roxbury as well and saw a bunch of friends I haven't seen in a while. It was nice to be back home, but it definitely has changed since I left there in 1999. 

You did some touring. When I went back to West Milford 6 years ago I was amazed at how little it had changed. Still a small rural town in population but large in area. The population was almost exactly the same at the last census as it was back in the 1960s in the mid 20K range.  The township is about 80 sq miles which I think is the largest in the state. However, a high percentage of the land area is set aside as Newark watershed that can only be used for hunting and fishing. It really was a great place to grow up but when I say I grew up in NJ people think the Jersey turnpike NJ.  West Milford is much more like  small New England town.

364CB126-3A25-40A1-8F8E-A060A05497FB.jpeg.df1409ffedef0638882cc94003294f3e.jpeg

An Ariel photograph of West Milford, NJ looking North with Pinecliff Lake in the foreground and Greenwood Lake center taken in 2017. Photograph By Jai Agnish

21 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Anyone else noticed the lack of thunderstorms this year so far? I think we have had 3 or 4 decent storms all year. Normally it's an every evening deal this time of year here near the Blue Ridge. 

You’re right.  It’s been quite.  I went back and looked at logs and counted four thunderstorms (as determined by nearby lightning) here at the house since the beginning of the year.

• jburns unpinned this topic