Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Observations 2021

yotaman

54 minutes ago, yotaman said:

Well it looks like the NWS really blew the forecast today. Had a 100% chance of heavy thunderstorms today and so far it has been sunny with a few clouds here and there. I know of several festivals that were cancelled due to the forecast.

The foothills got your rain and are still getting it. Should be some fairly impressive totals by the end of the day.

Damn…

At 803 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms with torrential
rainfall over much of West Ashley, James Island, Johns Island and
Downtown Charleston. Although rainfall is slowly diminishing,
additional rainfall amounts of 1 to 3 inches could still fall
through 915 PM. As much as 4.42 inches of rain has fallen near
Waterfront Park in Downtown Charleston with 3.5 to 4 inches being
observed in West Ashley. Radar data suggest as much a 5 to 6 inches
may have fallen in some areas of West Ashley into Downtown
Charleston. The risk for significant flooding continues.

Talk about feast or famine.  We had 3.21" on Thursday the 11th and another .50" the day before on the 10th. Daughter who lives in Wallburg managed just over a tenth over the same two days.  That's about some ten to twelve miles as the crow flies from us. 

Screenshot_20210612-232800_Opera-01.jpeg

Was feast or famine in central NC over the last week. We’re up to 3.77” for the month which is probably middle of the road, though it was much more hit or miss here than western and eastern sections of the state. Looks to be going very dry again. I know the farmers in central NC are absolutely struggling this year so hopefully our rainfall will come more consistently, instead of a 2-3 day bout of rain with the remainder of the month dry. We will see 

13 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Was feast or famine in central NC over the last week. We’re up to 3.77” for the month which is probably middle of the road, though it was much more hit or miss here than western and eastern sections of the state. Looks to be going very dry again. I know the farmers in central NC are absolutely struggling this year so hopefully our rainfall will come more consistently, instead of a 2-3 day bout of rain with the remainder of the month dry. We will see 

1.75” for the month here.  Enough to green things up at least for a while.

1 hour ago, magpiemaniac said:

Mean looking line of storms in southern VA approaching the state line.  The outflow boundary is very pronounced on the KFCX radar.

Looks like it is holding together. In fact it seems to be getting stronger. Surprising for this time of the evening.

8 minutes ago, jburns said:

Looks like it is holding together. In fact it seems to be getting stronger. Surprising for this time of the evening.

It appears that the worst (or best) of it will pass to my west unless what’s now in Rockingham County expands shortly.  I’m ready for bed, but I think I’ll go sit on the porch and watch it rain on others vicariously.

14 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

It appears that the worst (or best) of it will pass to my west unless what’s now in Rockingham County expands shortly.  I’m ready for bed, but I think I’ll go sit on the porch and watch it rain on others vicariously.

It’s still coming but now shows signs of some weakening. Less lightning in the last half hour. I think by the time it reaches me on the Guilford/Randolph border it will be just be a short period of moderate rain and maybe a rumble of thunder.

9 hours ago, jburns said:

It’s still coming but now shows signs of some weakening. Less lightning in the last half hour. I think by the time it reaches me on the Guilford/Randolph border it will be just be a short period of moderate rain and maybe a rumble of thunder.

It was pretty anemic by the time it rolled through here, but I did manage 0.10” out of it.  I’m at 3.61” for June so far and entering what appears to be another dry week for me.

1 hour ago, magpiemaniac said:

It was pretty anemic by the time it rolled through here, but I did manage 0.10” out of it.  I’m at 3.61” for June so far and entering what appears to be another dry week for me.

If it doesn’t rain today, our next shot of rain looks to be about a week away, depending on what the gulf disturbance does. I would think some remnant boundary from the mcs that pushed further south than expected last night would be the focal point for this afternoons action. Models have kind of been all over the place in regards to storm initiation and location this afternoon but somewhere in the neighborhood of the triad should see a broken line of storms pop and move east. 

36 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

No rain in the vicinity here tonight. Unfortunately our long range rain prospects seem to hinge entirely on the disturbance in the gulf. Setting up for another very dry period if it misses the area 

That gulf low needs to bring the goods because the rest of June looks to be slim on the rain otherwise.  My rain totals since early spring haven’t been impressive.

• April:  1.75” (1.70” below monthly mean)
  • May:  3.54” (0.33” below monthly mean)
  • June (through today):  3.62” (0.46” below monthly mean, but surely I’ll get another half inch before the end of the month…maybe)

13 hours ago, magpiemaniac said:

That gulf low needs to bring the goods because the rest of June looks to be slim on the rain otherwise.  My rain totals since early spring haven’t been impressive.

• April:  1.75” (1.70” below monthly mean)
  • May:  3.54” (0.33” below monthly mean)
  • June (through today):  3.62” (0.46” below monthly mean, but surely I’ll get another half inch before the end of the month…maybe)

You’re doing better than me. April we had just 0.94”, May was 1.42”, and were at 3.77” this month. One of the big issues, other than the low totals, is that it’s just been a few days of rain too. The inconsistent nature of our rainfall means that we’ve frequently gone weeks between measurable rain events, even if we got a good rainfall over a 2 day period. 

19 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

You’re doing better than me. April we had just 0.94”, May was 1.42”, and were at 3.77” this month. One of the big issues, other than the low totals, is that it’s just been a few days of rain too. The inconsistent nature of our rainfall means that we’ve frequently gone weeks between measurable rain events, even if we got a good rainfall over a 2 day period. 

Wow.  I didn’t realize May’s rain was that scarce for you.  I figured that April was bad, but didn’t realize May was, too.

For Wake, April 2021 was the 8th driest April on record and driest since 1994..  For Guilford, it was our 18th driest April.

27 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

Wow.  I didn’t realize May’s rain was that scarce for you.  I figured that April was bad, but didn’t realize May was, too.

For Wake, April 2021 was the 8th driest April on record and driest since 1994..  For Guilford, it was our 18th driest April.

Yep and I mistyped too, our May rainfall was only 1.32”, not 1.42” 

It's about to storm again for about the 3-4th time today.

Last couple of days have been wet.

Rained decent yesterday and today.

Hopefully our dry season is over here.

Cause it's been hot and slow on getting the rainy season going. Almost have been on the verge of burning up.

• jburns unpinned this topic