Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Banter 2021

George BM

6 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

The race to the bottom is on, and man is it BRUTAL to watch. We have flashes of talent this season, but the pitching is literally another level of bad, outside Means.

As for football watching, NFL will always be with me forever. I love it way too much, but I officially gave up almost all my fantasy football teams, outside a fun family league I've been doing with my friend since Senior year of High School. I do Draft Kings now, but that's easier to balance with my current schedule of work and life. Once I got married, I try to spend time with my partner in crime, and I love every minute of it. She knows how big a Ravens fan I am, so she lets me have my fun, but I will break from watching once the game is over if she wants to spend time with me. We both love baseball too, so that is really nice to just put on a ball game and watch together, go to games and new stadiums, etc. All about balance! But, NFL will be my love for all eternity. College atmosphere is cool, but there's some parody, it doesn't excite me at all. 

If you don't have kids wait till you have a few. Sports really get put on the back burner then lol.

Before kids I generally went to 5 or 6 WTF games a year. Maybe been to 1 game in the last 10 years now lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

NFL is the only sport I plan around. College football I generally have on in the background if I'm home on a Saturday, but never glued to the TV. Never got into Hockey, NBA is unwatchable, and so is Baseball for different reasons. I will watch a little college basketball around tournament time, but not as into it as I used to be.

I like hockey, but I just can't get into it with my schedule. I follow the Caps and keep up a little with the league, but nothing like the NFL. College Football is fun to watch, but I'm like you with having it on in the background, but not glued. I like baseball, but attending games is worlds more fun than watching on TV. I have basically stopped watching much basketball at all. I follow here and there, but offer no time to actually watch it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris78 said:

If you don't have kids wait till you have a few. Sports really get put on the back burner then lol.

Before kids I generally went to 5 or 6 WTF games a year. Maybe been to 1 game in the last 10 years now lol.

I'll definitely have to pick and choose sleep, work, and football lol. Knowing me, I'll still make time for Ravens watching. Even if I have a kid on each arm, I'll be that guy haha

• Like 1

My kids love Camden yards. Can't wait to take them when the place is actually rocking. They might have to take me by the time there good again lol.

From what I've seen over the years at fed ex field I would never take them to a football game at the ages their at now. 10 and 6.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris78 said:

My kids love Camden yards. Can't wait to take them when the place is actually rocking. They might have to take me by the time there good again lol.

From what I've seen over the years at fed ex field I would never take them to a football game at the ages their at now. 10 and 6.

i've taken my girls (ages 13 and 11 now) to Phillies, Sixers, Flyers, Union, USWNT, USMNT games without any issues...always avoided Eagles games...they are probably old enough now but i really have no desire to take them through the hell gauntlet that is an Eagles tailgate to get into the stadium

9 minutes ago, MacChump said:

i've taken my girls (ages 13 and 11 now) to Phillies, Sixers, Flyers, Union, USWNT, USMNT games without any issues...always avoided Eagles games...they are probably old enough now but i really have no desire to take them through the hell gauntlet that is an Eagles tailgate to get into the stadium

WFT games i've written off for years.  mainly due to the current owner being a massive douche and the product on the field and the price.  But I don't even want to go if its free and they are in the NFC champ.  Why?  The fans are some of the worst ever.  A massive mix of home and away and this mentality that a ticket gives you the right to get shitfaced and act like a massive clown.  

Going to a Nats, Wiz/Caps, DC United game is infinitely better for my kids and myself. 

But I call boshie on flyer games being nice.  I've heard those fans.  :P

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

NFL is the only sport I plan around. College football I generally have on in the background if I'm home on a Saturday, but never glued to the TV. Never got into Hockey, NBA is unwatchable, and so is Baseball for different reasons. I will watch a little college basketball around tournament time, but not as into it as I used to be.

I'll say it for ya.

It's because baseball sucks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I'll say it for ya.

It's because baseball sucks.

:o

I’m with @H2O on this one. Football games and the negative atmosphere from some fan behavior has turned me off from going to games (not to mention the cost). But I love getting a good seat and watching baseball. For me, football is fine on tv, but baseball is way better in person. I just wish the O’s would make an effort to be more fan-friendly. As bad as their record is, and as hopeless as this season is, I’d still go to games if it was affordable. No outside food or drink and ridiculous ticket costs keep me from being a regular.

24 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m with @H2O on this one. Football games and the negative atmosphere from some fan behavior has turned me off from going to games (not to mention the cost). But I love getting a good seat and watching baseball. For me, football is fine on tv, but baseball is way better in person. I just wish the O’s would make an effort to be more fan-friendly. As bad as their record is, and as hopeless as this season is, I’d still go to games if it was affordable. No outside food or drink and ridiculous ticket costs keep me from being a regular.

I played baseball all my life, including in college. The problem was that from the time I was about 16, I only played because I liked the competition - I didn't really like the game any more. Continuing to play - and all of the things that come with playing at a high level - really soured me on the game, to the point where I have a very negative, almost visceral reaction to it.

I don't mean to be a negative nancy about it. I should have just left that comment out of the discussion, even if I feel that way :lol:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I played baseball all my life, including in college. The problem was that from the time I was about 16, I only played because I liked the competition - I didn't really like the game any more. Continuing to play - and all of the things that come with playing at a high level - really soured me on the game, to the point where I have a very negative, almost visceral reaction to it.

I don't mean to be a negative nancy about it. I should have just left that comment out of the discussion, even if I feel that way :lol:

Nah. Everyone has an opinion, and having played the game at a high level like you did, you’re allowed to be turned off by it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H2O said:

WFT games i've written off for years.  mainly due to the current owner being a massive douche and the product on the field and the price.  But I don't even want to go if its free and they are in the NFC champ.  Why?  The fans are some of the worst ever.  A massive mix of home and away and this mentality that a ticket gives you the right to get shitfaced and act like a massive clown.  

Going to a Nats, Wiz/Caps, DC United game is infinitely better for my kids and myself. 

But I call boshie on flyer games being nice.  I've heard those fans.  :P

oh, none of the fans were *nice*...you hear all kinds of shit at all of those games, but my girls hear worse stuff at home in school...it's the drunken violence that separates an Eagles tailgate from the others that i don't feel like dealing with anymore, especially with kids in tow...

• Like 1

Mr Map and I went to one WTF game years ago, a Sunday night game against Dallas. Not worth the money spent, for the tickets (upper section), parking (tailgating with only two people was dumb), or dealing with the fans. Omg, the fans. Some of the worst people I've ever been around in my life. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

My son and I went to a ravens game in December 2019. I was definitely worried about the environment, but it was fine and positive for the fan experience. That may be because it was 35F and pouring rain though…

i went to a ravens-eagles game years ago and the pre-teen kid in back of me was literally cursing me out for wearing an eagles t-shirt while his dad laughed and egged him on

it was a preseason game

• Like 1

Just now, MacChump said:

i went to a ravens-eagles game years ago and the pre-teen kid in back of me was literally cursing me out for wearing an eagles t-shirt while his dad laughed and egged him on

it was a preseason game

I was a vendor at RFK in the early 90’s before that RalJon catastrophe was built, and I loved it. Passionate fans and I rarely saw the kind of stuff you see now. Then a Camden Yards vendor for 25 years and it was just a great way to spend a summer. That was back when the team was competitive, the Yard was packed, and the money flowed. One off-season, I figured I’d work a few games at the Ravens stadium and promptly changed my mind when I saw a Baltimore fan deck a Buffalo fan as he was walking down the steps just because he had on a Bills’ jersey. As noted by the other posts, the minority of asshats ruin the football game experience for many.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

The ticket cost for me isn't nearly as bad a deterrent as the no outside food or drink. That's just ridiculous. The cost of paying player and manager/coaches is paramount to have some decent revenue from tickets, but of course merchandising, TV contract, and concession costs help bring it all together. If parking wasn't so insane, it wouldn't be a problem I feel. They are cheaper than other teams I've seen play. When the product is good, the cost becomes less of an issue, but 20 of 23 years of sucking certainly doesn't bring joy to going to games, especially when they are THIS bad. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MacChump said:

it was a preseason game

I was definitely wary beforehand and I was going to wait a couple years before taking him. My in laws bought us the tickets as an early Christmas gift. But we didn’t tailgate and went into the stadium early. He got a cool first game pin and certificate, we got lunch at shake shack, and then walked around. He had a great time. The game was good but we were frozen and soaked by halftime and he wanted to leave. Still probably will wait until he’s closer to 14-15 before going back. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Oh, God. Let’s not! We do wind, heat and sports talk well, but we suck at cold, snow, and controversial issues.

Shiplap is soooooo overrated. As are IPAs and food trucks. 

That should be a few grenades to keep the weekenders busy

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I was a vendor at RFK in the early 90’s before that RalJon catastrophe was built, and I loved it. Passionate fans and I rarely saw the kind of stuff you see now. Then a Camden Yards vendor for 25 years and it was just a great way to spend a summer. That was back when the team was competitive, the Yard was packed, and the money flowed. One off-season, I figured I’d work a few games at the Ravens stadium and promptly changed my mind when I saw a Baltimore fan deck a Buffalo fan as he was walking down the steps just because he had on a Bills’ jersey. As noted by the other posts, the minority of asshats ruin the football game experience for many.

My grandparents had WTF season tickets when they still played at RFK. Promptly stopped after their move to FedEx field. they said it wasn't the same. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic