Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Banter 2021

George BM

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I didn't realize all of you were such dedicated swimmers/swim parents.

Without diving too deep into identifying factors (though I've linked ya'll to posts with my name, lol), I was a long-time competitive swimmer both in the summer and winter. Since then I've been coaching for the last three years... hope you parents like your teams' coaches! We try our best to keep things moving and make sure the kids can actually make it across the pool, I swear. We also deeply appreciate all the volunteers... the less pool set up we do the better. 

Did the 4:00am wake-up call grind throughout high school as well... national-level swimming is a real chore for parents and swimmers alike (until we learn to drive!). If you are all familiar with the local girl who is heading to the Olympics, I swam with her for quite a bit. 

I'll only add one more comment to this particular topic -- my recent comments do not reflect on all of the awesome swim coaches that have served at our community pool over the years, both from among older adults and college students. My hats are off to you...because while serving as a parent volunteer can be occasionally annoying, I can't even imagine trying to teach up to a hundred (or more) kids the basic strokes at practice every day for two months, and then to seed all of that varying talent into the appropriate heats, two (or more) times weekly.

On a completely unrelated note, I just mowed the front/back lawns and while high heat/humidity don't typically bother me....IT BOTHERED ME TODAY. Placed my obs over in the severe thread, but man, it's scorchy out there this afternoon. Plus, radar is looking fun to the west.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, H2O said:

See technically we aren't allowed to have that.  And we've had issues with parents getting s-faced and not watching their kids in the baby pool(not life guard monitored).  But if you do it on the DL and use huggies and don't flaunt that you are slamming booze then its "allowed"  

August is best cause the pool becomes a ghost town and you can do it without eyes glaring.

ha - we aren't supposed to drink on the softball fields either. so someone always brings solo cups that we pour our drinks into. trash goes in our bags and not the trashcans on the fields. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Ahhh, yes....NVSL B meets! Being able to "let your hair down" a bit more because it's not an A meet. Laughing at the young parents screaming and cajoling like court jesters at the finishing side of the pool while their half-drowning "mini" swimmers are bobbing their way to that side. Judging or timing at least 37 heats of 8&U and 9-10...IN EACH AGE GROUP. Watching some father attempting to patch his iPhone into the sound system to pretend he's Calvin Harris, despite his Spotify playlist being the aural equivalent of "dadbod." Glaring at the parents who insist loudly they don't have time to help on deck, and yet somehow have the entire evening to sit on  said deck and gossip the night away. And, assuming you actually BEGIN at 6 p.m., ending the evening 4+ hours later soaked to the bone with your own sweat, in a mingling stench of sunblock, chlorine, greasy grill smoke and bad decisions (chiefly, allowing your kids to swim for the neighborhood pool team).

The worst thing about evening meets -- when they would merely be delayed and not outright canceled. Obviously, B meets are easier to call off, but I remember a relay carnival at some Springfield pool years ago, with several stacked lines of severe thunderstorms moving in just before the 6 p.m. start, of course! I lost count of the number of delays at some point...cuz we were all in various stages of passing out while stuck in our hot, fetid vehicles...but because relay carnival is an official and sacred division event, the show HAD to go on and we didn't finish until almost 11 p.m.  :( 

Bitter, table for one, right over here!!  :D 

Oh my @vastateofmindyou just encapsulated my entire Monday’s from now until end of July!  @H2O yes I am praying for storms, the damn swim team gave my son a cold who then passed it to me…93 with a box of tissues at the pool without adult beverages because I took Tylenol cold seems like just another kick in the head that I can’t deal with right now…One brilliant thing about COVID is that our pool makes spectators sit outside the pool area, a definite grayer area for beverage consumption, though in our neighborhood you are an outlier if you do not have said beverages!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GATECH said:

Oh my @vastateofmindyou just encapsulated my entire Monday’s from now until end of July!  @H2O yes I am praying for storms, the damn swim team gave my son a cold who then passed it to me…93 with a box of tissues at the pool without adult beverages because I took Tylenol cold seems like just another kick in the head that I can’t deal with right now…One brilliant thing about COVID is that our pool makes spectators sit outside the pool area, a definite grayer area for beverage consumption, though in our neighborhood you are an outlier if you do not have said beverages!

Hope you feel better soon, @GATECH...summer colds SUCK. And for all of you volunteering, coaching or swimming out there this evening....remember to be patient with those "minis" and steer clear of the lightning bolts...  :) 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mappy said:

ha - we aren't supposed to drink on the softball fields either. so someone always brings solo cups that we pour our drinks into. trash goes in our bags and not the trashcans on the fields. 

These damn tall boy beer cans suck for being inconspicuous. 12ozs just look like reg soda cans. 

I have one of those plastic bottles where you can freeze a core insert which keeps whatever is in it cold. I use that for my rum and Coke’s 

18 minutes ago, GATECH said:

The dreaded community swim team cold is an annual tradition. We will have that from time to time and it’s always right before divisionals. The worst

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

When did it become in vogue to put on your flashers in a thunderstorm or heavy rain? If you don’t want to or can’t drive in the rain, get off the road. But putting your flashers on and driving in the left lane super slow is idiotic.

Omg yes

4 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

When did it become in vogue to put on your flashers in a thunderstorm or heavy rain? If you don’t want to or can’t drive in the rain, get off the road. But putting your flashers on and driving in the left lane super slow is idiotic.

Well don’t be in the left lane, but I’ve definitely put them on in low viz tropical rains or snow.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mappy said:

ooooo we just got ourselves a RTIC cooler. Haven't used it yet, but have heard good things. (unless of course you were bashing them, at which case ignore my post)

We have three different RTIC coolers! One is a “30-can” soft cooler, another a 45 qt hard cooler, and the last is a backpack cooler.

I was referring to the many tumblers that litter the sides of the pool once Thirsty Thursday hits!

7 hours ago, H2O said:

See technically we aren't allowed to have that.  And we've had issues with parents getting s-faced and not watching their kids in the baby pool(not life guard monitored).  But if you do it on the DL and use huggies and don't flaunt that you are slamming booze then its "allowed"  

August is best cause the pool becomes a ghost town and you can do it without eyes glaring.

Same here. We’re technically not supposed to have food or drinks on the lower deck, but that’s never been enforced since we’ve been here, and as long as you’re not flaunting it, no one is concerned about adult beverages that are respectfully “hidden.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H2O said:

The morning after a B meet is brutal. 32oz Gatorade and two propels later and I might be hydrated again. 

I took the little one home after older one swam her last heat (25m breast)…which was already at like 8:30 pm. Little one was up until 9:30, older one until 10:15.

8 and under practice is at 8:00 am and juniors at 8:30 am. Makes things kinda rough.

32 minutes ago, GATECH said:

I feel your pain.   Who was the idiot that scheduled an 8am work meeting with his team. Oh, that was me.  

Ouch…I’m a morning person, but I’d have a few words with you if we worked together. :lol:

Today is an in-office day for me - left the house at 6:30, which made things tough after my older girl woke me up at 3:00 due to having a bad dream. Ugh…

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GATECH said:

I feel your pain.   Who was the idiot that scheduled an 8am work meeting with his team. Oh, that was me.  

My alarm going off this morning garnered a few curse words that would make George Carlin say "Whoa, dude, that's more than 7 dirty words."

9 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I took the little one home after older one swam her last heat (25m breast)…which was already at like 8:30 pm. Little one was up until 9:30, older one until 10:15.

8 and under practice is at 8:00 am and juniors at 8:30 am. Makes things kinda rough.

Ouch…I’m a morning person, but I’d have a few words with you if we worked together. :lol:

Today is an in-office day for me - left the house at 6:30, which made things tough after my older girl woke me up at 3:00 due to having a bad dream. Ugh…

One of mine was done early(IM and free) but my oldest did free and fly so that just meant she was there the whole time which of course meant I was there the whole time.  But I was going to be anyways thanks to CT duty.  But after and getting home is almost just as hectic.  Kids are hungry, I'm hungry, everyone need showers(the amount of BO towards the tail end of a B meet would make dead cicadas ask for some febreeze) and by the time you get to sit and chill its already late af.

Good thing I can punt being productive at work until the 3rd coffee kicks in.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Oops, I do this if its super torrential rain, especially on 68 heading to Deep Creek where its a bunch of semi trailers, curves, and hills....except I'm in the right lane doing it.  

10 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Well don’t be in the left lane, but I’ve definitely put them on in low viz tropical rains or snow.

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Oops, I do this if its super torrential rain, especially on 68 heading to Deep Creek where its a bunch of semi trailers, curves, and hills....except I'm in the right lane doing it.  

Slow lane is meh. Yesterday we saw people doing it in all lanes and even changing lanes without turn signals. Even worse we’re the folks that had their emergency flashers on but not their headlights or taillights. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

No kids, but I remember being a paperboy and riding my bike by the community pool early weekend mornings in the summer thinking, “What the heck is everyone doing there so early?”

Dying, we were all dying both physically for the swimmers and mentally for the parents and volunteers. 

35 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Slow lane is meh. Yesterday we saw people doing it in all lanes and even changing lanes without turn signals. Even worse we’re the folks that had their emergency flashers on but not their headlights or taillights. 

Now that’s bad :lol: 

55 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

No kids, but I remember being a paperboy and riding my bike by the community pool early weekend mornings in the summer thinking, “What the heck is everyone doing there so early?”

Before we knew anything about swim team, we used to get annoyed when we heard the beep of the starter’s system during home meets. Wait…what’s the official name for that starter’s beeper thing? :lol:

Anyways, we had it real rough for those few years. Damn those kids and their fun!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, GATECH said:

Haha!  For some reason that made me think of the Peachtree Road Race (10K), which I ran a few times while I was at GA Tech.  I was crazy enough to get my ass out of bed at 5AM on July 4, take the Marta up to Lenox Mall (where the start line was), and then proceed to run 10-km in heat and humidity.  At least it was early though before the real heat of the day.  And, since I lived right near Piedmont Park, the finish line was practically in my backyard.  Which meant I could grab a few orange slices, get my coveted Peachtree T-Shirt, and walk home for a nap before eating a huge breakfast at the Majestic!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Let me guess.....they were all MD drivers :P 

• Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic