Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Banter 2021

George BM

17 minutes ago, blueberryfaygo said:

This is fake.. I feel like this is how we got to so many named storms last year

To not take this literally, there is a valid/interesting debate on increasing numbers of short-lived storms, which can at least partially be attributed to better observation techniques rather than climate change. Not sure what this means practically, other than it might be worth considering that old averages might be slightly misleading - these storms likely always existed and just weren't observed as frequently. Not like they shouldn't count now that we've found them!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, blueberryfaygo said:

Usually when there is a storm spinning off a front somewhere that high up in the north atlantic they dont bother to name them... its just not real tropical to me..

fair. but its not fake. 

As the resident tropical guy—this one is anything but fake. This system had a well defined center, a developing Central Dense Overcast, and while it was developing along a diffuse front, it was being powered by the Gulf Stream, making it warm core. No naked swirl here. 

It’s a lot easier observing these storms now due to the phenomenal tools we have, but we should also keep in mind that 1) this fits climo and 2) warmer seas create wider windows for short lived storms to develop. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

As the resident tropical guy—this one is anything but fake. This system had a well defined center, a developing Central Dense Overcast, and while it was developing along a diffuse front, it was being powered by the Gulf Stream, making it warm core. No naked swirl here. 

It’s a lot easier observing these storms now due to the phenomenal tools we have, but we should also keep in mind that 1) this fits climo and 2) warmer seas create wider windows for short lived storms to develop. 

Who cares if the structure of the storm meets the criteria for tropical. It's simply too far north!!

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, CAPE said:

We should just throw out the criteria and arbitrarily name tropical systems. 

A tad too far north- this one seems kinda fake to me..

10 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Who cares if the structure of the storm meets the criteria for tropical. It's simply too far north!!

im glad you posted the second reply, cause i was taking you seriously in your first 

• Haha 5

Good afternoon all. Hope all have been well. :)

Life happened and I have not been on much. With everything opening up kids activities have gotten back into full swing and the Mom Uber is off and running again. 

I did get myself a present though. My weather station has been slowly dying. The solar panel was no longer recharging and while I could have just gotten a replacement my rain gauge was having issues. Also I have always wanted a station that I can have my info online. So I just got and installed my new station today. Just finished with all the online set up and the link to it is in my signature. 

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Life happened and I have not been on much. With everything opening up kids activities have gotten back into full swing and the Mom Uber is off and running again. 

I did get myself a present though. My weather station has been slowly dying. The solar panel was no longer recharging and while I could have just gotten a replacement my rain gauge was having issues. Also I have always wanted a station that I can have my info online. So I just got and installed my new station today. Just finished with all the online set up and the link to it is in my signature. 

Congrats for rewarding yourself!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Nice. That sounds good. Just arrived at BC Brewery for a beer lol. Only 28 beers to choose from haha 

You would like this one. The description suggests lots going on- chocolate, waffle cones, vanilla, peanut. Its all very subtle though. I notice the chocolate the most. At 8%, not exactly my idea of an Imperial stout, but it is well done and quite good.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CAPE said:

You would like this one. The description suggests lots going on- chocolate, waffle cones, vanilla, peanut. Its all very subtle though. I notice the chocolate the most. At 8%, not exactly my idea of an Imperial stout, but it is well done and quite good.

Sounds good. I have a Firestone parabola I bought a couple weeks ago. It comes in a box. Probably crack that one later this week. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

you do uber too?  oh man.. I love uber!!! every once in a while if I get an especially rowdy bunch they will invite me along for drinks and I will turn off the app for a while!

12 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

To not take this literally, there is a valid/interesting debate on increasing numbers of short-lived storms, which can at least partially be attributed to better observation techniques rather than climate change. Not sure what this means practically, other than it might be worth considering that old averages might be slightly misleading - these storms likely always existed and just weren't observed as frequently. Not like they shouldn't count now that we've found them!

11 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Agree with both. I'd say 60-100 years ago storms were UNDER reported do to lack of observations. Things like Bill were just 'blows' or noreasters or such. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, H2O said:

How can I be old when I am told I am too young to retire?  Something does not compute.  

I mean, its a good point. 50 isn't a normal age to retire at. But regardless, I am thrilled for you! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, H2O said:

Exactly 30 days from today I get to do something very few people at my age get to do.

Retire at age 50.  

That really awesome man!  I plan to do something similar when I turn 50.. retire in to the Federal Government. I have been a contractor for 12 years for various agencies and I have been thinking that the day I have had enough and want to kick back and relax.. I will just convert to an employee. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic