Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Banter 2021

George BM

46 minutes ago, Rvarookie said:

Found a quick window to cut grass earlier (while still little wet) and finished just in time before all hell broke loose. I had to cut it before heading to beach or would came back to a jungle. Perfect timing!

I'm not feeling good about this. Haven't cut the grass since 9 days ago...the clover is so thick, my lawn (front and back) look more white than green. Tomorrow, providing I get A window to mow, is NOT going to be pretty.  :( 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I'm not feeling good about this. Haven't cut the grass since 9 days ago...the clover is so thick, my lawn (front and back) look more white than green. Tomorrow, providing I get A window to mow, is NOT going to be pretty.  :( 

Exactly how mine looks, and last time I cut it was Memorial day. But I have decided to let it grow longer anyway, in an attempt to get it to survive the next several weeks. I will cut it later tomorrow or Sunday, but only to around a 4" height.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

That was a pretty awesome storm(s) yesterday! (and more rain today? Wow) The certain direction the wind was driving rain somehow felt quasi-tropical! As it stormed I sat down and played a stormy Beethoven :lol: I'll typically play a storm-themed piece on rainy days...usually either Beethoven's "Tempest" or Chopin's "Raindrop" prelude...nice afternoon!

That sounds fun :lol: Seems like there's quite a lot of music about/inspired by weather.

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

Exactly how mine looks, and last time I cut it was Memorial day. But I have decided to let it grow longer anyway, in an attempt to get it to survive the next several weeks. I will cut it later tomorrow or Sunday, but only to around a 4" height.

Interesting that you mention that 4" height -- I read today that, to help combat the prevalence of clover in a lawn, that it's recommended to set the mower deck slightly higher to keep a lawn level of 3" or greater. Apparently clover won't thrive in grass left to grow slightly higher, as it's a more shallow weed. #LearnSomethingNewEachDay  :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

14 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Interesting that you mention that 4" height -- I read today that, to help combat the prevalence of clover in a lawn, that it's recommended to set the mower deck slightly higher to keep a lawn level of 3" or greater. Apparently clover won't thrive in grass left to grow slightly higher, as it's a more shallow weed. #LearnSomethingNewEachDay  :) 

Mowing grass high accomplishes a lot. You will mow less because the grass will grow slower. You will have more moisture retained in the soil. And weed growth, including clover, will be greatly diminished.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

That white clover seemed much more visible this year.My lawn went from spring beautiful to clover infested but now feels little less clover after the nitrogen. Hopefully I can avoid these dingleberries 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Mowing grass high accomplishes a lot. You will mow less because the grass will grow slower. You will have more moisture retained in the soil. And weed growth, including clover, will be greatly diminished.

Yeah that was my thinking. The clover is prolific here, and I need it anyway lol. I don't have that much grass. I welcome the moss too, wherever it wants to grow.

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

Yeah that was my thinking. The clover is prolific here, and I need it anyway lol. I don't have that much grass. I welcome the moss too, wherever it wants to grow.

My dream would be to have moss for a yard.  Never have to mow it and you could walk barefoot on it in comfort.  Hell, you could lay in it.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

My dream would be to have moss for a yard.  Never have to mow it and you could walk barefoot on it in comfort.  Hell, you could lay in it.  

Agree. The area in front of the house and on the north side is almost completely moss. I just mow over it occasionally to whack down the random weeds that grow through it.

4 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Just not at night!  The slugs would be intolerable!  Easiest way to find a slug or two at night is to walk outside barefoot!  It's pretty gross stepping on one especially when it's under your toes!

And mowing, everyone mows too damn short!  By August their lawns are brown and burned up.  3.5" to 4" works well and the grass thrives in all but the worst of drought which we haven't experienced in over a decade (here at least).  And keep those blades properly sharpened as well.  A dull blade tears off the (grass) blade rather than cutting clean which is bad too.

• Like 3

Just got back from my work department's annual fishing outing. Captain took us wayyyy north and we ended up right around Shell Point in the Bay. Only two striped bass for almost 3 hours. And then a brief flurry of activity once we got some distance from the traffic jam of boats up there. Got our limit. 

• Like 3

On 6/11/2021 at 6:43 AM, WxUSAF said:

AC repair man visit #3 is sometime today. I need to slash his tires or otherwise figure out a way to keep him here long enough to actually confirm he’s fixed it.

Hotel staycation fund.  Every person should have a hotel fund for these specific scenarios.

On 6/12/2021 at 3:30 PM, Kmlwx said:

Just got back from my work department's annual fishing outing. Captain took us wayyyy north and we ended up right around Shell Point in the Bay. Only two striped bass for almost 3 hours. And then a brief flurry of activity once we got some distance from the traffic jam of boats up there. Got our limit. 

Can you recommend the captain?  I really want to take my son on a rockfish charter...

46 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

WOW! 

Honest question -- I'm assuming the winds surrounding some tornadoes could easily "grab" that plane and flip it around a good bit, no doubt stalling it and sending it hurtling back toward earth....right? I love to see a good chaser video....but hate to see people make dumb decisions to get closer to the phenomenon (kinda like this dude).

51 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Honest question -- I'm assuming the winds surrounding some tornadoes could easily "grab" that plane and flip it around a good bit, no doubt stalling it and sending it hurtling back toward earth....right? I love to see a good chaser video....but hate to see people make dumb decisions to get closer to the phenomenon (kinda like this dude).

Yea, this looks like a landspout and not a major tornado by the way he is flying. Like small waterspouts, they can have lighter winds. 

From Landspout - Wikipedia

Landspouts are a type of tornado that forms during the growth stage of a cumulus congestus cloud by stretching boundary layer vorticity upward and into the cumulus congestus's updraft. These generally are smaller and weaker than supercell tornadoes and do not form from a mesocyclone or pre-existing rotation in the cloud. Because of this, landspouts are rarely detected by Doppler weather radar.[3]

Landspouts share a strong resemblance and development process to that of waterspouts, usually taking the form of a translucent and highly laminar helical tube. "They are typically narrow, rope-like condensation funnels that form while the thunderstorm cloud is still growing and there is no rotating updraft", according to the National Weather Service.[4] Landspouts are considered tornadoes since a rapidly rotating column of air is in contact with both the surface and a cumuliform cloud. Not all landspouts are visible, and many are first sighted as debris swirling at the surface before eventually filling in with condensation and dust.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

Yea, this looks like a landspout and not a major tornado by the way he is flying. Like small waterspouts, they can have lighter winds. 

Could it also be a cold air funnel? It’s hard to see the ground, so I can’t tell what’s happening.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic