Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Banter 2021

George BM

17 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

So. Had numerous friends recommend over the past two months to subscribe to HBO Max (like we need to subscribe to one more streamer), even if on a temporary basis, just to watch "Mare of Easttown" with Kate Winslet. So we did...and WOW. What an incredible series, that perfectly captures the slice of life that can be southcentral/southeastern PA. Best thing I've seen in decades. Great story, incredible cast, with a few major (and mostly unforeseen) plot twists thrown in at the end. Ms. Winslet is sublime...too many people want to define her by Titanic, which is criminally unfair to her and her talent.

So. Like several of our friends, I'll recommend to you -- even if you don't want to shell out for HBO Max for the long-term, do it for just one month to watch this show. Excellent stuff. Of course, now that we HAVE HBO Max, we're sticking around for Chernobyl, Hacks, to catch up on Big Love and other older series, etc, etc.  :) 

I saw that featured but haven't seen it; I'll add to my list before my 6 month subscription ends.  

Chernobyl was SO GOOD, you'll love it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

That's pretty incredible.  Toward the end, it looks like the tornado is flipping the neighborhood the bird.

Fun fact: that was actually a landspout. While still technically a tornado, it forms differently than other tornadoes. The storm it formed from was still forming, there were no updrafts and upper air rotation, all the rotation came from ground level. Most landspouts are long and skinny that like because its rotation is on the ground. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

I saw that featured but haven't seen it; I'll add to my list before my 6 month subscription ends.  

Chernobyl was SO GOOD, you'll love it.  

Chernobyl was really good!  Perry Mason was good as well.   You also need to watch Vice Principals and the Righteous Gemstones....some Danny McBride specials. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Fun fact: that was actually a landspout. While still technically a tornado, it forms differently than other tornadoes. The storm it formed from was still forming, there were no updrafts and upper air rotation, all the rotation came from ground level. Most landspouts are long and skinny that like because its rotation is on the ground. 

Thanks! That explains how close so many were able to get to it.

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Thanks! That explains how close so many were able to get to it.

Welcome! Very common in the upper plains, and this one was in Weld County, CO. Fairly sure that county has the most tornadoes every year. 

2 hours ago, mappy said:

I thought so. It looked quite laminar, and didn’t seem to obviously connect to the cloud base from the videos I saw, it just kinda faded at the top.

16 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

I thought so. It looked quite laminar, and didn’t seem to obviously connect to the cloud base from the videos I saw, it just kinda faded at the top.

Yup! That's exactly it. Landspouts can still cause damage, I believe a farm was damaged last night from that one. But its easier to get closer as the rotation is much more compact to the funnel itself vs a much larger area in a tornado from a supercell. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mappy said:

2 hours ago, mappy said:

Welcome! Very common in the upper plains, and this one was in Weld County, CO. Fairly sure that county has the most tornadoes every year. 

Yes, actually I have seen 2 (yes 2!) of these in the years while flying into Denver airport, both slightly off to the NE. We landed just like normal too lol. May and June seem to be prime time for them for some reason. 

• Like 2

I can't remember the last time it felt so jungle-like out there. I guess it is the combo of the heat/humdity, the abundant rain, and the cicadas?

The plants around my yard are growing like crazy. Some huge thick weed grew like 5 feet in a couple days right out of a bunch of bushes I just trimmed in May and already need to be trimmed again. I have been finding tons of insects other than the cicadas all over the place too, weird ones I can't recall having seen before. Found a snake swimming in the pool and had some baby deer sleeping in the yard near the house. It's nuts outside now, just a cacophony of noise and wildlife.

I guess some of this might be that many other animals go nuts when the cicadas emerge and become more active to feed, that may be a part of it.

6 hours ago, mappy said:

I heard that one formed from colliding outflow boundaries from nearby storms, does that sound reasonable?

12 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Another reason we love Colorado :wub: 

Always Weld. 

8 hours ago, Rhino16 said:

I heard that one formed from colliding outflow boundaries from nearby storms, does that sound reasonable?

I dont recall the circumstances of how the storm fired up, but absolutely can landspouts form from colliding boundaries 

18 hours ago, mappy said:

That's cool!  Didn't know about "land spouts".  Years ago when I was on a trip in California, I saw a dust devil along the road...that was pretty neat.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mappy said:

Interesting. I was watching the vid that @North Balti Zen posted thinking, "They even HAVE tornado sirens in CO???" Guess I never thought of that state as getting as many tornadoes as, say, Oklahoma or the southcentral Plains.

5 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Interesting. I was watching the vid that @North Balti Zen posted thinking, "They even HAVE tornado sirens in CO???" Guess I never thought of that state as getting as many tornadoes as, say, Oklahoma or the southcentral Plains.

Eastern part of CO is VERY flat.  So its easy to get them there just as much as KS or OK

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Oh yeah, there are sirens in CO. Weld County, which is where the landspout happened, has had 250+ tornado segments go through the county since 1950. Highest in the US. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

When I was in CO for my chase a few weeks ago, a siren went off right next to the car as a test. Pretty eerie to hear.

15 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

When I was in CO for my chase a few weeks ago, a siren went off right next to the car as a test. Pretty eerie to hear.

One of the things that I didn't anticipate when moving to the east coast was the lack of sirens.  They are ubiquitous in the center of the country.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

One of the things that I didn't anticipate when moving to the east coast was the lack of sirens.  They are ubiquitous in the center of the country.

growing up near Dunn Loring there was a siren but it was for the fire department to get the volunteers in for an large emergency.

15 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I can't remember the last time it felt so jungle-like out there. I guess it is the combo of the heat/humdity, the abundant rain, and the cicadas?

The plants around my yard are growing like crazy. Some huge thick weed grew like 5 feet in a couple days right out of a bunch of bushes I just trimmed in May and already need to be trimmed again. I have been finding tons of insects other than the cicadas all over the place too, weird ones I can't recall having seen before. Found a snake swimming in the pool and had some baby deer sleeping in the yard near the house. It's nuts outside now, just a cacophony of noise and wildlife.

I guess some of this might be that many other animals go nuts when the cicadas emerge and become more active to feed, that may be a part of it.

Totally agree. So many bugs out there, and so many that I've either never seen before or don't see often. 

This thing was crawling on a wall the other day and must have been 3-4 inches long. No idea what it is, but it looked like something that shouldn't be messed with. 

20210609_121843.jpg

3 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

3 hours ago, H2O said:

growing up near Dunn Loring there was a siren but it was for the fire department to get the volunteers in for an large emergency.

We had the "5 o'clock alarm" in my near-Philly, South Jersey neighborhood when I was growing up in the '80s. The thing would go off almost every day. We always figured it was to help parents get their kids inside for dinner, but when I think about it as an adult and being mindful of the Cold War tensions of the time, it could well have been an air raid siren.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Totally agree. So many bugs out there, and so many that I've either never seen before or don't see often. 

This thing was crawling on a wall the other day and must have been 3-4 inches long. No idea what it is, but it looked like something that shouldn't be messed with. 

20210609_121843.jpg

Nice fishfly. :)

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic