Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2021 Discussion/Obs

CAPE

26 minutes ago, CAPE said:

There is a slight risk for excessive rainfall tomorrow into Friday per WPC.

Trend on guidance has definitely been away from a slowly moving/stalling front. Good news, as the weekend looks to be mostly dry and Sunday looks especially nice. It should also lower the risk for heavy/excessive rains. Probably a general 1-2" with some locally higher amounts and some jip zones. The usual.

Saturday afternoon too?

16 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Looks like maybe a chance of scattered showers but mostly rain free, esp by afternoon. Should be at least partly sunny.

Partly sunny works, my yard lacks good shade so that works out. 

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

There is a slight risk for excessive rainfall tomorrow into Friday per WPC.

Trend on guidance has definitely been away from a slowly moving/stalling front. Good news, as the weekend looks to be mostly dry and Sunday looks especially nice. It should also lower the risk for heavy/excessive rains. Probably a general 1-2" with some locally higher amounts and some jip zones. The usual.

Yep.  And I know where that zone will be.

Flood Watch
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
223 PM EDT Wed Jun 30 2021
(snip)

...FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
FRIDAY MORNING...

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a

* Flash Flood Watch for portions of DC, Maryland and Virginia,
  including the following areas: in DC, District of Columbia. In
  Maryland, Anne Arundel, Calvert, Carroll, Cecil, Central and
  Southeast Howard, Central and Southeast Montgomery, Charles,
  Frederick MD, Northern Baltimore, Northwest Harford, Northwest
  Howard, Northwest Montgomery, Prince Georges, Southeast Harford,
  Southern Baltimore and St. Marys. In Virginia, Albemarle,
  Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria, Culpeper, Eastern Loudoun,
  Fairfax, Greene, King George, Madison, Northern Fauquier, Orange,
  Prince William/Manassas/Manassas Park, Rappahannock, Southern
  Fauquier, Spotsylvania, Stafford and Western Loudoun.

* From Thursday afternoon through Friday morning.

* Several rounds of thunderstorms are expected Thursday afternoon
  through early Friday morning with localized rainfall rates of up
  to 1-2 inches per hour possible. Total rainfall amounts of 1-3
  inches, with locally higher amounts up to 4 inches are possible.

* Heavy rain in short periods of time will cause the potential for
  streams and creeks to quickly rise out of their banks as well as
  the potential for flash flooding in urban areas.

(snip)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GATECH said:

Wtf!  How is DCA 91?!  I am at 98 with a HI of 114 and am closer to the river in a nicely wooded neighborhood.   Calling BS!

Haven’t checked my high temp for the day but 94/75 and HI of 107 here. It just feels 1000x hotter

• Like 1

Just now, Kmlwx said:

Would love to get a cool down from an outflow boundary tonight. My bedroom is running 83 or 84 degrees these last few nights. I removed my window A/C as I decided to pick no bugs instead of cool air :lol: 

Man that's a tough decision to have to make.

Just now, CAPE said:

Man that's a tough decision to have to make.

It was a long time coming. I've done some research and it just sounds like even with the best designed window units they just can't seal 100%. Just so happens that I get wasps on the front of the house that love to find ways in. Main A/C cools the lower floors fine, but has a ton of trouble getting to the upper floors. (banter, I Know). ZERO wasps or even ants so far this year...

Fans, fans and more fans have been working OK so far. But the past few days have ben brutal getting to sleep. 

Based on radar I'm cautiously optimistic. @high risk - over in the severe thread says they'll likely lose their punch as they come east. A quick shower or storm would do wonders. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

It was a long time coming. I've done some research and it just sounds like even with the best designed window units they just can't seal 100%. Just so happens that I get wasps on the front of the house that love to find ways in. Main A/C cools the lower floors fine, but has a ton of trouble getting to the upper floors. (banter, I Know). ZERO wasps or even ants so far this year...

Fans, fans and more fans have been working OK so far. But the past few days have ben brutal getting to sleep. 

Based on radar I'm cautiously optimistic. @high risk - over in the severe thread says they'll likely lose their punch as they come east. A quick shower or storm would do wonders. 

Oh dang man I’d rather sleep with bees than sweaty balls 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Yeah I would be surprised if anything makes it over here tonight. Lots of surface instability though and maybe cold pools/outflow can keep them going a bit longer despite loss of daytime heating. Tomorrow is the day as the actual front gets into the region with instability + better forcing.

Nice thunderstorms in Brunswick, MD about .5.   After forecasted rains tomorrow looks like my lawn will be green at least through mid July.  Looking at end of next week, global models in general agreement that east coast needs to be watched for tropical weather,  WB 12Z EURO tropical probs.

F4A76C37-0446-4C62-A7DD-3C1F0C39421F.png

1 hour ago, Kmlwx said:

I think you absolutely could seal it. First I would seal it on the inside. You probably could do this easily with cardboard and duct tape. The bugs are also capable of coming through most window units that I have seen. If I was faced with this problem I would go buy about 3 feet of replacement window screen, cut it to fit all sides, buy enough 1/2” aluminum strip from Lowe’s, or even better aluminum angle, put my screen over the ac and attach the aluminum strip along the edges with short 1/2” sheet metal screws to hold the screen in place. I doubt seriously that you’d have very many bugs get through that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kmlwx said:

I'm like you. I have a unit the cools the downstairs fine, but am supplementing the top with window units.

I can take this to another thread, but I am considering 2 a/c units for the top and bottom floors. This would require reduct work, which is high$$$.  OR I can do a ductless unit upstairs. I want to say that a ductless unit would be $5K. And reduct work would be around $20K, with the 2 units and new furnace.

My main a/c unit is very old and requires new freeon every 2-3 years. So that will go when I do an upgrade. Any thoughts?

14 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Glad I watered my parched gardens a couple hours ago because what looked like a can't-miss solid line went poof right as it got here.  Nice refreshing gust front though.  Better luck tomorrow?  We'll see.  I'll go with an over/under of 0.3 for the Thurs-Fri event.

Terrible. I got about 68 drops of rain from that line that went poof. Glad I watered my new trees.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic