Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2021 Discussion/Obs

CAPE

1 hour ago, weatherCCB said:

Not a drop here last evening.

Thunder & lighting but no rain

74/70

Same -- had a few lightning flashes to the west and north last evening during the 9 p.m. hour, maybe a few hard drops of rain, but nothing substantial enough to even see wetness outside.

Currently 81/72...muggy, of course.

7 minutes ago, mappy said:

gosh we need new windows, the mugginess is very apparent in the house

What's the indoor humidity?

Does your AC run a short time and shut off?  (i.e. short cycle)  It should be sized that it runs for long runs.  Otherwise the humidity cannot be removed adequately indoors.  It should never feel "close" or "muggy" indoors when your AC has been running for a few hours or more since first turned on.

If your windows are leaky they should be fixed too as this is bad year 'round for energy use.

Just now, Stormfly said:

Does your AC run a short time and shut off?  (i.e. short cycle)  It should be sized that it runs for long runs.  Otherwise the humidity cannot be removed adequately indoors.  It should never feel "close" or "muggy" indoors when your AC has been running for a few hours or more since first turned on.

If your windows are leaky they should be fixed too as this is bad year 'round for energy use.

Per the little thermometer we have in the kitchen, 62% humidity inside. 

We can't do anything with our AC at the moment, since it died last week. HVAC guy reworked wires so we had working AC, but we can't control the temp or turn it off. He should be out today to replace the circuit board so I'm hoping the humidity inside will go down when he does. But we do have horrible drafty windows. Just another thing on the list to replace. 

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

We can't do anything with our AC at the moment, since it died last week. HVAC guy reworked wires so we had working AC, but we can't control the temp or turn it off. He should be out today to replace the circuit board so I'm hoping the humidity inside will go down when he does. But we do have horrible drafty windows. Just another thing on the list to replace. 

Had that issue quite a bit both winter and summer when we had the old wood ones.  Single pane and just totally inefficient.  Replacing them with double pane and better quality made a huge difference.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Our AC performs just as you describe here, however, I maintain that one shouldn't have to put on a pair of jeans, a long sleeved tee, and (sometimes) a fleece jacket to keep from freezing during the summer months after a regular cooling cycle. But that's due to an ongoing "discussion" between Mrs. V and myself as to where the AC temp should be set in terms of personal tolerance...and not the fault of our HVAC system.

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

Had that issue quite a bit both winter and summer when we had the old wood ones.  Single pane and just totally inefficient.  Replacing them with double pane and better quality made a huge difference.  

yup. eventually we will replace them

48 minutes ago, mappy said:

Yes that is too high.  Summer indoor RH should be 45-55%.  Above that you promote mold growth.

Are you saying the AC runs constantly?  That isn't good for the unit and you will have a very high electric bill!  With a constant running unit you'd have good humidity control until the evaporator freezes up!

17 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Yes that is too high.  Summer indoor RH should be 45-55%.  Above that you promote mold growth.

Are you saying the AC runs constantly?  That isn't good for the unit and you will have a very high electric bill!  With a constant running unit you'd have good humidity control until the evaporator freezes up!

It cycles as it should. 

I’d have to think that a humidity that high indoors would suggest a compressor that isn’t actually running. I don’t think it’s possible to draw indoor air across coils that are cold and it not pull more water than that out of the air. The fan may be running constantly but I would think the compressor is not. Just my thoughts. Hope you guys with a/c issues get them fixed soon. You have to be miserable.

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I’d have to think that a humidity that high indoors would suggest a compressor that isn’t actually running. I don’t think it’s possible to draw indoor air across coils that are cold and it not pull more water than that out of the air. The fan may be running constantly but I would think the compressor is not. Just my thoughts. Hope you guys with a/c issues get them fixed soon. You have to be miserable.

oh our compressor is running, as we have cold air coming out of the vents. humidity dropped to 54% since this morning, so who knows. i have a feeling my humid issues indoors is more our windows then the ac itself not doing its job. 

1 hour ago, mappy said:

oh our compressor is running, as we have cold air coming out of the vents. humidity dropped to 54% since this morning, so who knows. i have a feeling my humid issues indoors is more our windows then the ac itself not doing its job. 

OK so the thermostat still is in the loop but you cannot turn off the cooling function.

The dewpoints are very high today.  Also humidity readings should be taken where the thermostat is or near a return.  If close to a window or washroom it's going to be higher.

I had to do an instrument pack swap today and (unfortunately) that meant climbing a tower.  It's days like today that make me wish I could fast forward to late October.  :D

37 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

OK so the thermostat still is in the loop but you cannot turn off the cooling function.

The dewpoints are very high today.  Also humidity readings should be taken where the thermostat is or near a return.  If close to a window or washroom it's going to be higher.

I had to do an instrument pack swap today and (unfortunately) that meant climbing a tower.  It's days like today that make me wish I could fast forward to late October.  :D

Correct, it cycles at it should, fan runs when the ac isn't pumping out cold air. if we were to turn it off though, we wouldn't be able to turn it back on lol HVAC guy never made it out today, but we are managing.

Down to 56% in the house now, much nicer than it was this morning. Was cloudy for most the day so that helped. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mappy said:

Correct, it cycles at it should, fan runs when the ac isn't pumping out cold air. if we were to turn it off though, we wouldn't be able to turn it back on lol HVAC guy never made it out today, but we are managing.

Down to 56% in the house now, much nicer than it was this morning. Was cloudy for most the day so that helped. 

Are you saying that the furnace (indoor) fan runs even when the AC (outdoor) is not "pumping out cold air"? And why if you turned it off would you not be able to turn it back on? Forgive me if this was already discussed. Assuming the fan is running while the AC is not pumping out cold air, that alone will cause high levels of humidity. The fan needs to cycle with the AC. This gives time for the condensation to run down the indoor coil and drain out of the condensate line. Otherwise you are just re-circulating most the humidity in your house.

3 hours ago, WeatherShak said:

Wasn’t even aware of the eclipse. Thanks for sharing.

Our issue may be the clouds. As of now showing a 60 - 65% coverage on the forecast. Hoping this is not correct, and it may not be.. but it is so humid out there that you may cause cloud cover by opening the door and letting a small bit of AC air out! 

image.thumb.png.38eb5b0edc4b0e92b1f1e2e0a59e72ea.png

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic