Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

10 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yea they don't neuter and many are treated like throw away items. There will be a ton more now with the cane needing resc

That was probably the case with our Lab mix from TX.  She was super skinny - weighed 32 lb after 2 weeks as a well-fed foster on the way north, while her best weight is mid 50s - shied away from any hand near her head (obviously had been smacked there) and still hates riding in vehicles.  Most affectionate of any dog we've had (a high bar to clear), tolerates/loves the 7 grandkids, etc.

• Like 2

Just now, tamarack said:

That was probably the case with our Lab mix from TX.  She was super skinny - weighed 32 lb after 2 weeks as a well-fed foster on the way north, while her best weight is mid 50s - shied away from any hand near her head (obviously had been smacked there) and still hates riding in vehicles.  Most affectionate of any dog we've had (a high bar to clear), tolerates/loves the 7 grandkids, etc.

The multiple problems I deal with with our rescues is crazy.  Certainly keeps me busy. All but 1 of the 8 is absolutely loveable and friendly to all but they except our ST Bernard Husky mix who we rescued at 6 weeks old have been abused in some way. Our deaf Maltese was severely abused ànd is only friendly to a select few friends.  We keep her in a special dog room when visitors are over or outside in a big Kennel. Our dogs live in Shangrala, in fact our kids say often the dogs room was nicer than theirs lol. What we give we get back a thousand fold. I really don't know how to explain how much. All I know is this is the most rewarding thing I ever done in my life and during times of family tragedy, these pups give us an emotional lift every time. Really save me from going more nutz than I already am. Thank you for rescuing!!!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

The multiple problems I deal with with our rescues is crazy.  Certainly keeps me busy. All but 1 of the 8 is absolutely loveable and friendly to all but they except our ST Bernard Husky mix who we rescued at 6 weeks old have been abused in some way. Our deaf Maltese was severely abused ànd is only friendly to a select few friends.  We keep her in a special dog room when visitors are over or outside in a big Kennel. Our dogs live in Shangrala, in fact our kids say often the dogs room was nicer than theirs lol. What we give we get back a thousand fold. I really don't know how to explain how much. All I know is this is the most rewarding thing I ever done in my life and during times of family tragedy, these pups give us an emotional lift every time. Really save me from going more nutz than I already am. Thank you for rescuing!!!

Well said. Dogs are amazing creatures and raising a pup has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. 

• Like 4

As long as we’re discussing dogs, our beloved golden retriever is now 13 and all things considered doing well.  She has accompanied me over peaks and through woods and swam together in lakes.   Our daughter was 9 when we got her at 3 months old.  She grew up and is away from us most of the time but our dog is the most faithful and affectionate companion ever!   We aged together but dogs age much quicker.   So while we can walk a mile together still she is unable to do longer walks or hikes.   It will be a sad day when she leaves us.

• Like 7

I’ve seen a bunch of weird wildlife stuff.  But one of the weirdest things I’ve ever seen happened early evening.

This turkey was flying wide, big circles.  Wingspan was decent, it seemed very stable, and cruising at a good speed.  It started heading towards the Midway base lodge and slammed into the second story wall.  Dead on impact.

Sometimes small birds slam into windows but this was weird, no optical illusion in the solid wall and it’s a decent sized bird.  Didn’t try to avoid it at all, hit middle/middle in the second floor.

8B702B9B-2030-4E79-89CE-AB801F5DA00F.jpeg.b3a5cc11c711bc3577864dba194710d3.jpeg

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I’ve seen a bunch of weird wildlife stuff.  But one of the weirdest things I’ve ever seen happened early evening.

This turkey was flying wide, big circles.  Wingspan was decent, it seemed very stable, and cruising at a good speed.  It started heading towards the Midway base lodge and slammed into the second story wall.  Dead on impact.

Sometimes small birds slam into windows but this was weird, no optical illusion in the solid wall and it’s a decent sized bird.  Didn’t try to avoid it at all, hit middle/middle in the second floor.

8B702B9B-2030-4E79-89CE-AB801F5DA00F.jpeg.b3a5cc11c711bc3577864dba194710d3.jpeg

Years ago my father in law was dog sitting our lab/collie mix while we were on vacation. She was out on the deck and he was inside when he heard a loud bang on his picture window. He went out and saw our dog chewing on a partridge that had killed itself flying into the window. Being the frugal old Vermonter he was, he took the bird from the dog, cleaned it and ate it. He said he did share it with her though. 

9 hours ago, mreaves said:

Years ago my father in law was dog sitting our lab/collie mix while we were on vacation. She was out on the deck and he was inside when he heard a loud bang on his picture window. He went out and saw our dog chewing on a partridge that had killed itself flying into the window. Being the frugal old Vermonter he was, he took the bird from the dog, cleaned it and ate it. He said he did share it with her though. 

We had our 40-year-old windows replaced in Nov 2015.  The following fall a partridge slammed into our picture window, fatally.  I'm confident it would've shattered the old one.  (Partridge were legal game at the time, so we enjoyed the meal.)

My wife pulled back into the driveway last week after going out to get coffee and a large bear jumped off our rock wall and into the driveway in front of her. Scared her shitless. She must’ve startled it when she pulled in as it was chowing down on the bird seed in the front. 

We have 4 large windows and get a few bird hits every year…average 1-2 deaths. 

On 8/28/2021 at 8:02 PM, powderfreak said:

Good grief these games are insane.  Martin Perez tonight.  Someone always loses their mind.

Funny Tom Caron on the post game mentioned agita too :lol:.

1978 has walked through the door. Had a gut feeling this would happen. I had felt like they were playing above their level...and it's come true

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah we’ve had small birds hit our sliding glass doors before… it was just jarring to see this like three foot wingspan turkey just slam into the building, not even a window/mirage that tricked him.  Maybe it was the green paint or something lol.

There's a new disease going through the bird population that causes blindness, confusion and ultimately death. It's mainly been down south so far, but perhaps it's starting to show up here? We've been eschewing our bird bath and feeders this summer to cut down on the transmission risk.

On 8/28/2021 at 8:12 PM, Ginx snewx said:

The south is a shit hole when it comes to dogs. The stories I could tell from the over 70 fosters we have had, all from the south. The Hurricane Harvey puppies we had were left in a crate in a flooding house almost drowned. Our Mia the Pit Chocolate Lab was thrown out of a pickup truck with her puppies and on and on..

This guy is a Hurricane Harvey refuge.  He was a mess when we got him but a handsome,  healthy love now.  

BA9DC2BD-58FF-4EB2-9C44-5FCCB9179138.thumb.jpeg.c1af01cdb6e0fb96f44a9f8792a8ccf4.jpeg

• Like 7

Just now, SouthCoastMA said:

But seriously, those turkeys do suck. About 6 months out of the year, hoardes of them crap on my lawn on a daily basis .

LOL.  They love to dig and build little burrows for themselves.  My wife an I joke about them like each group that we see are their own gang out for a fight with a neighboring group.

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

LOL.  They love to dig and build little burrows for themselves.  My wife an I joke about them like each group that we see are their own gang out for a fight with a neighboring group.

They do get pretty violent around mating season. A lot of limping turkeys in late winter