Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

12 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

My sisters in Cape Neddick, we want to be somewhat close to her.

My sister in law lived near Lake Arrowhead in Waterboro for about 5 years, very nice community in the woods with lake access, but probably an hour from Cape Neddick.  There's also some nice places in North Berwick.

One dog has always been sufficient for us, but the grandkids get to play with scads of puppies.  The SNJ branch of the family is doing "transfer" duty for Crockettdoodle pups, acclimatizing the pups after leaving mom but before they're singled out to the new owners.  I think this was the week they had 13 Bernadoodles - poodle/Bernese Mt Dog crosses and about 15 lb each, high end weight for the species they've had.  #2 granddaughter (the hen whisperer) is in her glory.  :D

• Like 2

Just now, tamarack said:

My sister in law lived near Lake Arrowhead in Waterboro for about 5 years, very nice community in the woods with lake access, but probably an hour from Cape Neddick.  There's also some nice places in North Berwick.

One dog has always been sufficient for us, but the grandkids get to play with scads of puppies.  The SNJ branch of the family is doing "transfer" duty for Crockettdoodle pups, acclimatizing the pups after leaving mom but before they're singled out to the new owners.  I think this was the week they had 13 Bernadoodles - poodle/Bernese Mt Dog crosses and about 15 lb each, high end weight for the species they've had.  #2 granddaughter (the hen whisperer) is in her glory.  :D

We looked in North Berwick and like some areas, it's also 10-15 minutes from my sisters and not far from the beaches.

I use to always have two dogs but after I lost the last one my brother adopted a dog so my dog and his dog play every night then we take them for a walk so she has a playmate. He takes my dog when we go on vacation so it works out great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

I was wondering if that was one of the Phish guy's place.  I vaguely remember knowing that at least one of those guys lived south of Burlington in that general area.

Jon Fishman owns a few houses.  At least two in Vermont and one in Maine. 

I wonder if those beautiful drum kits come with the house?  :P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I remember it well.  All started with a sweep of Detroit at the stadium.  Tigers were also having an amazing season.   The Friday night game was won on an infield hit by Mickey (edit-it was Moose).   By mid month Detroit was far behind.  5 game easy WS against the reds.   The 1961 Yankees were an amazing team.   I went to as many games as possible.   Bus to NYC then A train express to 145th.   Switch to local and get off at 155th and take the D to 161st in thee Bronx.    

I remember one game Maris hit his 51st and 52nd and Mantle also went deep.    City was electric.  We get on the bus back to Jersey and the bus driver and passengers getting the details.  Fun times.   That team was a juggernaut.    This year somehow everything seems to be falling together and I’m not sure how but I’ll take it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I remember it well.  All started with a sweep of Detroit at the stadium.  Tigers were also having an amazing season.   The Friday night game was won on an infield hit by Mickey (edit-it was Moose).   By mid month Detroit was far behind.  5 game easy WS against the reds.   The 1961 Yankees were an amazing team.   I went to as many games as possible.   Bus to NYC then A train express to 145th.   Switch to local and get off at 155th and take the D to 161st in thee Bronx.    

I remember one game Maris hit his 51st and 52nd and Mantle also went deep.    City was electric.  We get on the bus back to Jersey and the bus driver and passengers getting the details.  Fun times.   That team was a juggernaut.    This year somehow everything seems to be falling together and I’m not sure how but I’ll take it.

I was 4 and a half my first Yankee games. I remember my awe seeing Mantle like 10 feet from me pre game. Very young but aware of the super team. 

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Saw Maris hit 41, 47, 48. For 41 we were walking to our seats and only saw the last few yards of the 1st-inning 3-run soft liner as it passed a couple feet above the low fence near the RF foul pole.  (Twins pitcher Camilo Pascual said it hit the pole.)  Undoubtedly the shortest of his 61, hitting the pole at 296'.  Game ended on a 3-run walkoff by Johnny Blanchard, one of 2 he hit in a 3-game period.  Mick had just been picked off 3rd with 2 outs but managed to get back to the bag safely in the rundown attempt.  Then Blanchard hit a screamer to right, looked like a game-winning single at first, then a line-out right at the right fielder, before carrying well into the mezzanine deck, landing far under the font of deck #3.
That was August 4 and 12 days later our beach-sponsored trip had us in the LF upper deck, and we watched 2 Maris dingers land in the 1st row of the RF upper deck.  Box score pbp says 1st one was right-center, 2nd one RF, but from our vantage point the two looked like twins (against CHW this time) and maybe hitting the same [empty] seat. 

• Like 1

So I’m going to be sanitizing my well tomorrow night. ( aka I’m going to dump a few gallons of bleach down the well and run all my faucets and taps until I smell chlorine).

Ive heard varying opinions on running it through the water softener. People say the bleach can ruin the resin, others say it’s pointless to sanitize the well if you aren’t going to do the softener too. 

i ultimately find it hard to believe some diluted household bleach is going to do a lot of damage to the softener.

9 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So I’m going to be sanitizing my well tomorrow night. ( aka I’m going to dump a few gallons of bleach down the well and run all my faucets and taps until I smell chlorine).

Ive heard varying opinions on running it through the water softener. People say the bleach can ruin the resin, others say it’s pointless to sanitize the well if you aren’t going to do the softener too. 

i ultimately find it hard to believe some diluted household bleach is going to do a lot of damage to the softener.

How many gallons is your well? I think I’ve read 1gal/200gal and to dilute it with water before pouring it in to avoid any possible pipe corrosion.

Before we got the reverse osmosis filter plus softener last year, we had to shock our dug well 2 different times when tests showed some nasty bacteria.  Same principle, dump chlorine bleach into the well (reservoir in the 4-ft tubs was 400-500 gallons) and run faucets until each had the aroma, then let it sit overnight.  In the morning we had to run the system until we couldn't smell chlorine, took 60-90 minutes.  Fortunately the well sits on a permanent (so far) spring so all we drew out was constantly being replaced.

2 hours ago, Bostonseminole said:

caldor fire  keeps creeping east

That smoke in Tahoe has been wild.  I know most of the ski areas have had to shut down all summer activities due to poor air quality.  That’s a huge economical hit for all businesses in the Tahoe summer tourism season to get that in August.

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

How many gallons is your well? I think I’ve read 1gal/200gal and to dilute it with water before pouring it in to avoid any possible pipe corrosion.

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Before we got the reverse osmosis filter plus softener last year, we had to shock our dug well 2 different times when tests showed some nasty bacteria.  Same principle, dump chlorine bleach into the well (reservoir in the 4-ft tubs was 400-500 gallons) and run faucets until each had the aroma, then let it sit overnight.  In the morning we had to run the system until we couldn't smell chlorine, took 60-90 minutes.  Fortunately the well sits on a permanent (so far) spring so all we drew out was constantly being replaced.

Thanks. I’m just going to run it through the softener as well. It’s 180 feet deep… so I’d assume a couple hundred gallons… I’ll probably on do 1 gallon 

12 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Thanks. I’m just going to run it through the softener as well. It’s 180 feet deep… so I’d assume a couple hundred gallons… I’ll probably on do 1 gallon 

If you check this site there is a volume calculator and quite a bit more...

https://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.html?number=C858-4

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That smoke in Tahoe has been wild.  I know most of the ski areas have had to shut down all summer activities due to poor air quality.  That’s a huge economical hit for all businesses in the Tahoe summer tourism season to get that in August.

this gets closer to Tahoe and it could be trouble, already close to Strawberry, a nice little town I visited with my kids often when I lived in Sacramento.

3 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Mine came from Arkansas,  my brothers from Tennesee, lot of dogs from the south end up here.

The south is a shit hole when it comes to dogs. The stories I could tell from the over 70 fosters we have had, all from the south. The Hurricane Harvey puppies we had were left in a crate in a flooding house almost drowned. Our Mia the Pit Chocolate Lab was thrown out of a pickup truck with her puppies and on and on..

• Sad 4

35 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

The south is a shit hole when it comes to dogs. The stories I could tell from the over 70 fosters we have had, all from the south. The Hurricane Harvey puppies we had were left in a crate in a flooding house almost drowned. Our Mia the Pit Chocolate Lab was thrown out of a pickup truck with her puppies and on and on..

Terrible conditions down there but there are a ton of New Englanders with big hearts...

So I decided against a full well sanitation for the time being, as the cold water did not have the smell like hot water.

My hot water tank must have been FULL of bacteria. It took over a gallon of bleach to register any chlorine smell coming from the faucets.

so I have the chlorine sitting in the hot tank right now 

37 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yeah it’s so sad.  Most of the shelter deliveries up here seem to be from the southeast US too when the shelters announce new arrivals.  Texas to Georgia zone.  No idea what they do to dogs down there but must just be a combo of rural, year round warmth, and lack of spay/neutering? A lot of the places that don’t see freezing temps or at least it’s less common, seem to have a ton of feral dogs just roaming around towns too.  I remember spending a couple weeks in Arizona back in high school on some habitat for humanity trip, there were dogs everywhere and none seemed to belong to anyone in particular.  Just wandered around town, hung out at the gas station looking for scraps, etc.  it was shocking because they were like squirrels are up here… you see them everywhere just lazily wandering around.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it’s so sad.  Most of the shelter deliveries up here seem to be from the southeast US too when the shelters announce new arrivals.  Texas to Georgia zone.  No idea what they do to dogs down there but must just be a combo of rural, year round warmth, and lack of spay/neutering? A lot of the places that don’t see freezing temps or at least it’s less common, seem to have a ton of feral dogs just roaming around towns too.  I remember spending a couple weeks in Arizona back in high school on some habitat for humanity trip, there were dogs everywhere and none seemed to belong to anyone in particular.  Just wandered around town, hung out at the gas station looking for scraps, etc.  it was shocking because they were like squirrels are up here… you see them everywhere just lazily wandering around.

Yea they don't neuter and many are treated like throw away items. There will be a ton more now with the cane needing resc

• Sad 1