Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, bobbutts said:

Back in the 80's we had a converted Chevy Van 20 (still remember the badge).  The engine died after 20k or 30k and they would not warranty it.  I don't remember what happened in the end but my dad and then by extension me never bought another GM vehicle after that.

I had a GM pickup I bought in 86, sold it to my friend with over 100k miles, he drove it for another 100k before getting a new truck. Never did anything other than brakes, battery and tires, basic maintenance. That said, I love my Toyota's.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It’s amazing how few sedans are sold anymore.  I don’t think the US Big 3 manufacturers make any anymore?  I could be wrong

Tesla does but that’s a different story entirely. 

The Asian car makers have decimated the US in sedan sales for a while. Camry, Corolla, Accord, Civic were in the top 10 each year for at least a decade, probably longer. With people buying less of them, it just wasn’t worth it for them to continue to invest in them when many are switching over to compact and sub-compact SUV’s instead.

6 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

My Jeep is nearly 4. It’s in the shop for new brakes (and whatever else they find) now. I’ll probably dump it in a year once it nears 55-60k. I’m thinking of switching to Toyota for peace of mind…and an easy 150k lifespan. 

My two cents on Toyota pickups, I have a small service company, since 1991 we have been running Toyota Tacoma Pickups, ALL 4 cylinder I have no experience with their 6 cylinders. Their 4 cylinder are bullet proof in my opinion, we sold two twin 1991 many years back with about 445,000 miles each, with no issues, just wear and tear items, exhaust, brakes etc.

We still have a 2001, 2013 & 2017 highest mileage in about 240K, all 4-cylinders, FYI 1999 Frame issues began I also think with the Tundra.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, 512high said:

My two cents on Toyota pickups, I have a small service company, since 1991 we have been running Toyota Tacoma Pickups, ALL 4 cylinder I have no experience with their 6 cylinders. Their 4 cylinder are bullet proof in my opinion, we sold two twin 1991 many years back with about 445,000 miles each, with no issues, just wear and tear items, exhaust, brakes etc.

We still have a 2001, 2013 & 2017 highest mileage in about 240K, all 4-cylinders, FYI 1999 Frame issues began I also think with the Tundra.

the 22RE engines are legendary. That said my water pump went on my Highlander yesterday, have 123k so good life out of it.

• Like 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

Ha!  Us non-car people showing why we are non-car people.  No one mentioned the parking break.

Well I did say a brake caliper maybe not disengaging. Parking brake isn't exactly an Occam's razor possibility. ;)

I couldn't tell you the last time I used an E brake. Probably way over a decade. My wife never used hers on her old Saturn and one time when she went to get it inspected they told her it had rusted out and froze in place and it had to be replaced to be passed. It wasn't cheap and that was like a decade ago.

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Well I did say a brake caliper maybe not disengaging. Parking brake isn't exactly an Occam's razor possibility. ;)

I couldn't tell you the last time I used an E brake. Probably way over a decade. My wife never used hers on her old Saturn and one time when she went to get it inspected they told her it had rusted out and froze in place and it had to be replaced to be passed. It wasn't cheap and that was like a decade ago.

Ha right, the mechanic just took it the next logical step of figuring out why.  Good point.

3 hours ago, 512high said:

I have a 2000 tundra with the replacement frame as a second vehicle.....she looks like hell but actually rides pretty nice still and I beat the piss out of it plowing my driveway.....last year I overheated it to the point coolant was boiling out of it.....still seems fine lol..225k

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dendrite said:

I’m thinking it will run me $300-350?

11 hours ago, dendrite said:

Had that happen to our 1983 Cavalier wagon - twice - and for the same reason.  $300 to replace in 1989 and by the second failure the unibody frame was rusted beyond repair and we had to junk it.  Sad, because that EFI 2.0 liter never skipped a beat in 147k miles, gave 32-34 mpg, and that rig had easily the best traction of any 2WD I've driven.  (Except for using chains.)  Bought that car from Bean & Conquest in BGR with 2 miles on the odometer - last new car we've owned.
The 2.0 4 cyl. in the rangers/Mazda I've driven 400k+ over the past 27 years have also been great though other things have gone wrong when those neared 150k.  Only engine related issue was a stripped sparkplug hole in the Mazda - climbing Mile Hill on 3 cylinders was an adventure.  1st mechanic at the shop I use said new cyl head, $1000 or more.  The boss laughed and sold me a heli-core for less than $50 installed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Somebody want to loan me a 20% down payment?  Phin? 

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/191-Rabbit-Run-Waltham-VT-05491/303881862_zpid/

I hope something like that's available in two years when I'm ready to retire, love the place. Have to ask PF how that area is for snow first.

Just now, mreaves said:

It’s west of Rt. 7 in the CPV near Vergennes. I can’t imagine the snow is great. 

That's what I thought but still better than where I am. If I move north it's going to be in a good snow spot. My wife's leaning toward Maine so I'm scoping out places not too far from the coast and not too far north. Again, anyplace there is better than here.

5 minutes ago, mreaves said:

It’s west of Rt. 7 in the CPV near Vergennes. I can’t imagine the snow is great. 

Yeah the snowfall in inches may be a bit higher than down south but the snow preservation is horrific.  Great area for squalls and a lot of light snowfalls, but pack building it is not, lol.

The price on that place seems surprisingly reasonable for 3,300 square feet.

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah the snowfall in inches may be a bit higher than down south but the snow preservation is horrific.  Great area for squalls and a lot of light snowfalls, but pack building it is not, lol.

The price on that place seems surprisingly reasonable for 3,300 square feet.

I was thinking the same thing. That’s quite the drum set up 

Edit: That would be a $1 million place in Stowe or some other fancier towns, especially with 13 acres. The current owner must be slashing the price because he knows the value is greatly diminished because of poor snow retention. 

• Haha 1