Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

26 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Kia Optima - several years . I believe other Hyundai and Kia models as well 

Just took a look as I know someone with an Optima. 

Included are the 2013–2014 Hyundai Sonata and Santa Fe, 2011–2013 Kia Sportage, 2011–2014 Optima, and 2012–2014 Sorento. During machining of the engine crankshaft and crankpins, metal shavings may have been left within the crankshaft oil passages, and the crankpins themselves may be too rough on the edges. As a result, oil may be blocked and cause the connecting rod bearings to wear, which would then cause them to fail and seize the whole engine. That, of course, would cause the car to stall during driving

5 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Just took a look as I know someone with an Optima. 

Included are the 2013–2014 Hyundai Sonata and Santa Fe, 2011–2013 Kia Sportage, 2011–2014 Optima, and 2012–2014 Sorento. During machining of the engine crankshaft and crankpins, metal shavings may have been left within the crankshaft oil passages, and the crankpins themselves may be too rough on the edges. As a result, oil may be blocked and cause the connecting rod bearings to wear, which would then cause them to fail and seize the whole engine. That, of course, would cause the car to stall during driving

Had the car for 5 years with zero problems until the ...engine went . I’m just relieved it was covered .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

At least they owned up to it.  I wonder how many engines failed to prompt it?

Yes that is great. Pretty rare for engines to go like that these days. I browsed some Kia forums and wow. Some of the 2.0 and 2.4 engines only lasted 30-50k miles then in 2017/2018 Kia/Hyundai started acknowledging the issue.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Yes that is great. Pretty rare for engines to go like that these days. I browsed some Kia forums and wow. Some of the 2.0 and 2.4 engines only lasted 30-50k miles then in 2017/2018 Kia/Hyundai started acknowledging the issue.  

Ouch.. IIRC they have had a 10 year warranty covering those years.  That's pretty crazy, usually the warranty is timed to run out before common major issues like that.

33 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

Ouch.. IIRC they have had a 10 year warranty covering those years.  That's pretty crazy, usually the warranty is timed to run out before common major issues like that.

Someone probably got fired for this. Usually an engine seize is caused by some sort of oil leak, or, lack of maintenance and they try to blame the owner. They probably started taking notice when dealers were putting in for engine replacements on cars that had all their proper scheduled maintenance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobbutts said:

The 10 year warranty was their claim to fame to build market share.  I always thought they had a decent reputation after the early years

Speaking of cars, I bought my car at the end of the lease.   It’s worth 10k more than the balance to keep it.   It took a long time to get the title.  Seems like auto companies (in this case Honda) are inundated with these transactions.   Heading to registry today finally.

• Like 2

Just now, weathafella said:

Speaking of cars, I bought my car at the end of the lease.   It’s worth 10k more than the balance to keep it.   It took a long time to get the title.  Seems like auto companies (in this case Honda) are inundated with these transactions.   Heading to registry today finally.

Straight up cash or finance?

We just bailed on my lease.  38k mi in 18mo time.  Yep, biting the bullet and moving on from leasing.

Back in the 80's we had a converted Chevy Van 20 (still remember the badge).  The engine died after 20k or 30k and they would not warranty it.  I don't remember what happened in the end but my dad and then by extension me never bought another GM vehicle after that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

Back in the 80's we had a converted Chevy Van 20 (still remember the badge).  The engine died after 20k or 30k and they would not warranty it.  I don't remember what happened in the end but my dad and then by extension me never bought another GM vehicle after that.

Not trying to be a wise guy but your comment reminded me of this song