Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

17 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Those are my two guesses too. I’m no car guy either. I just know when I hear odd noises, it’s likely time for a professional. Luckily, my neighbor is a mechanic. 

Add me to the no car guy list, but I like the logic of "noise and markings" that no the other wheel assembly has is the culprit.  Stuck caliper would be my guess, it probably seems to happen when cold because you are at slower speeds usually starting out.  We've all been there.  Caliper and break pads, they are usually a combo of both.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Those are my two guesses too. I’m no car guy either. I just know when I hear odd noises, it’s likely time for a professional. Luckily, my neighbor is a mechanic. 

I’m a car guy, just turn up the radio. 

JK. I’m no car guy either.

Edit/ What Ginx said though. I get that squealing too after driving dirt roads for a while. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, mreaves said:

I’m a car guy, just turn up the radio

JK. I’m no car guy either.

Edit/ What Ginx said though. I get that squealing too after driving dirt roads for a while. 

That was my solution to car problems back in high school. Worked like a charm most of the time. Lol

Thanks everybody for your input!

11 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Any car folks in here? Below is a picture of my rear passenger side rotor. On a cold start, slow roll (letting off the brakes) I hear a squeal or friction noise until the car gets going. The noise is most obvious when the brakes are cold and it’s wet/humid. Does this rotor look odd?  The discoloration where the brake pad presses seems to be the cause…the other three rotors don’t have this ring. 

3D29F406-5E0C-49CE-81EB-45F882BE15F4.jpeg

Big car guy here. It's very normal during "high dews" to get a coating of rust on the rotors, and hear it scraping off for a couple stops in the A.M.. However, that looks like a worn brake pad/ possible sticking caliper issue. Any chirping or grinding sounds recently?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UnitedWx said:

Big car guy here. It's very normal during "high dews" to get a coating of rust on the rotors, and hear it scraping off for a couple stops in the A.M.. However, that looks like a worn brake pad/ possible sticking caliper issue. Any chirping or grinding sounds recently?

Yes…chirping/grinding at startup when cold on slow roll. The sound goes away after 50-100 yds at speed and when the brakes are warm. I was in a Dunkins drive through line the other day and man was I embarrassed at how loud the noise was, echoing against the brick siding. 

FYI- 42k on these pads. Probably time to replace anyway. 

Just now, NorEastermass128 said:

Yes…chirping/grinding at startup when cold on slow roll. The sound goes away after 50-100 yds at speed and when the brakes are warm. I was in a Dunkins drive through line the other day and man was I embarrassed at how loud the noise was, echoing against the brick siding. 

I had a loose caliper once that I would hear at low speeds, but I didn’t hear it at higher speeds. My guess was that the sound became a higher frequency the faster I went and my ears weren’t able to pick up on it as well. Otherwise I’m not sure why it would improve at higher speeds vs lower.

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I had a loose caliper once that I would hear at low speeds, but I didn’t hear it at higher speeds. My guess was that the sound became a higher frequency the faster I went and my ears weren’t able to pick up on it as well. Otherwise I’m not sure why it would improve at higher speeds vs lower.

That makes sense. Oddly, rolling at low speeds when the brakes are warm doesn’t cause any noise though. Either way, it’s going into the shop this week. Hopefully I caught it in time before this issue led to a bigger headache. 

On 8/21/2021 at 7:00 PM, dendrite said:

They need more controlled burns out there. Wipe out the dead material and let new growth start. 

This isn't to you, Brian, per se -

Advanced environmental science on the natural states of ecology and the roll that wild fires plays in that, would not agree that "more human attempts" in controls is the answer.  The reason for that, is the purist's point of view:  we are not that good enough at doing so, and tinkering with systems that have unknowns inevitably has always led to much bigger unintended consequences.  Think But that's the ideology -

From what I've read though ...the focus has always been in the area of 'prevention'; it is causing the time-bomb scenario.   Hence the "controlled burn" - which is almost an amusing euphemism, really, one that banners the ability to reign in what is inherently an physical process involving out of control thermodynamic rage.

Anyway, 'intuitively,' it seems the immense complexity of knowing more precisely where and what amount of mass necessarily need fire management in order to maintain lowered catastrophic risk, while still upholding a healthy ecosystem - it's probably an imperfect science ?? I believe that is true. I have seen it said many times, in many different context, " ...Is not completely understood." 

I don't think human intervention into that natural setting out there has ever really known.  Until we do ... it seems logical that we are liable for encroaching on those habitats in the first place.  

But that's all just A -

B, Climate Change than deltas that quite a bit.   I mean, if the entire region is truly in the so called "Millennial Drought," as the drama-enterprise of big media has recently adopted as the dystopian slogan-meme for the west, then it also seems futile.  Intuitively again, one has to wonder if "any" controlled burning really matters.  Because at some point 'death by aridity' is both an above and below foot ultimatum, and similar to what climate scientist warn about the Middle East, the region may be heading toward non-sustainability to civility at all...  a.k.a., uninhabitable. 

I have this  "ACME" Road Runner Sci-Fi solution to the problem ...LOL  A 10 trillion dollar operation that rivals the Great Wall of China. The great "hydro reclamation" project fills the valley with piped water from the northern tip of the Baja of California.  It wouldn't even be a carbon footprint after the development, because the valley is lower than the ocean, so potential gravity is the engine that drives the transport.  Evaporation would come immediately into balance after the initial 'pour' process.   Before doing so, the alluvial-fan sediment would have to be removed from the valley flow, and that would lower the elevation another hundred foot or so and would take the age of the known Solar System to complete just that phase ... So that, combined with the obvious absurd dumb reasons why this won't work, makes this proposal a cartoon - still... I've often fantasized some sort of 9.2 'never-heard-of-before' Slip Fault quake ( big boy Seismic events have always been a Thrust Fault type ), but the event "splits" the landscape and the ocean tsunamis in...   Then, all this technological wizardry humanity is proving it is capable of goes in there with space age desalinization at epic industrial scale, and California has unlimited water.

Controlled fires in the brushy hills and dry forests of California may never be feasible either practically (droves of people have built houses there) or politically.  And it would hardly be tampering with a natural system as human occupancy and fire prevention have created an unnatural condition.  If fires or other fuel reduction can be done, it should be intended as ecological restoration.

And referring to "controlled burn" as a euphemism, an attempt to control the uncontrollable, has some truth but also ignores its extensive use in a far different ecosystem, the Southern pine forest.  Site preparation using fire prior to planting is a way of life there - probably millions of acres annually with escapes exceedingly rare.

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Controlled fires in the brushy hills and dry forests of California may never be feasible either practically (droves of people have built houses there) or politically.  And it would hardly be tampering with a natural system as human occupancy and fire prevention have created an unnatural condition.  If fires or other fuel reduction can be done, it should be intended as ecological restoration.

And referring to "controlled burn" as a euphemism, an attempt to control the uncontrollable, has some truth but also ignores its extensive use in a far different ecosystem, the Southern pine forest.  Site preparation using fire prior to planting is a way of life there - probably millions of acres annually with escapes exceedingly rare.

Lol, to be fair ... I meant that as a droll tongue-in-cheek, more so than a declarative really - but yeah... the intuition is not so haha.  You know, pine bows on camping trips are used as the most effective kindling in campfires for a reason .... HAHA

Curious ...

does anyone have sat and rad coverage of that which hit Tennessee with flooding rains ?  

I was so caught in Henri I didn't even know that was happening.  I don't know what day to even look for - ...I'm sure I can find but if anyone already has it -

Yeah obviously they can’t really go in there now and set the forests ablaze. I’m just saying ecologically it’s a natural thing and healthy for the life cycle of the forest ecosystem. I usually put the planet before people (in a general sense) so when I say they need more burns I’m thinking for the long term benefit of the forest and not the people that feel compelled to live deep within them. People think they own the planet already as it is, but that’s a tangent for another day. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Cam lol…. I hope Mac takes the starting job this week and never looks back 

I’m confused. The team approved his appointment and weren’t aware he’d have to sit 5 days for being unvaxxed? What about this would piss BB off about Cam? Or do you just mean he’ll get starting reps with the first teamers this week?

40 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’m confused. The team approved his appointment and weren’t aware he’d have to sit 5 days for being unvaxxed? What about this would piss BB off about Cam? Or do you just mean he’ll get starting reps with the first teamers this week?

I think they misunderstood the rules. he tested neg each day he was away from NE but those tests don't count under the NFL policy apparently. so he has to quarantine for 5 days.  so looks like everyone f-ed up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Yeah obviously they can’t really go in there now and set the forests ablaze. I’m just saying ecologically it’s a natural thing and healthy for the life cycle of the forest ecosystem. I usually put the planet before people (in a general sense) so when I say they need more burns I’m thinking for the long term benefit of the forest and not the people that feel compelled to live deep within them. People think they own the planet already as it is, but that’s a tangent for another day. lol

Those manzanita hillsides and dry forests out west are fire-driven ecosystems, just like southern longleaf pine and the Jersey pine barrens.  Exclude fire long enough and it's like overfilling a gas tank while next to a bonfire.
On a somewhat related topic, ever torch a dried Christmas tree"  Flames 20 feet high and fierce crackling and lots of sparks flying.  I still wonder at how fortunate Maine was in the mid-late 1980s to avoid huge catastrophic fires with a billion or so dead "Chirstmas trees" (some 60 feet tall) killed in northern Maine by spruce budworm.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

FYI- 42k on these pads. Probably time to replace anyway. 

42K...Yes. What you're describing is most likely the sound of the warning tabs on the pads to let you know that they're done. Many don't hear them because of windows up and A/C on etc... until you're in the drive through.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Really hoping we will look back in late October to yesterday's Sox game as a "turning point." Just need to figure out the closer situation, Darwinzon?

Nope.  Throws really hard but has literally no idea where it’s going.

I think it’s Whitlock.  He bounced back after his Yankee outing and really saved the game for them with multiple innings after Barnes last night.

They needed something like that to get them excited again.  Hopefully that fires them up a bit.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This isn't to you, Brian, per se -

Advanced environmental science on the natural states of ecology and the roll that wild fires plays in that, would not agree that "more human attempts" in controls is the answer.  The reason for that, is the purist's point of view:  we are not that good enough at doing so, and tinkering with systems that have unknowns inevitably has always led to much bigger unintended consequences.  Think But that's the ideology -

From what I've read though ...the focus has always been in the area of 'prevention'; it is causing the time-bomb scenario.   Hence the "controlled burn" - which is almost an amusing euphemism, really, one that banners the ability to reign in what is inherently an physical process involving out of control thermodynamic rage.

Anyway, 'intuitively,' it seems the immense complexity of knowing more precisely where and what amount of mass necessarily need fire management in order to maintain lowered catastrophic risk, while still upholding a healthy ecosystem - it's probably an imperfect science ?? I believe that is true. I have seen it said many times, in many different context, " ...Is not completely understood." 

I don't think human intervention into that natural setting out there has ever really known.  Until we do ... it seems logical that we are liable for encroaching on those habitats in the first place.  

But that's all just A -

B, Climate Change than deltas that quite a bit.   I mean, if the entire region is truly in the so called "Millennial Drought," as the drama-enterprise of big media has recently adopted as the dystopian slogan-meme for the west, then it also seems futile.  Intuitively again, one has to wonder if "any" controlled burning really matters.  Because at some point 'death by aridity' is both an above and below foot ultimatum, and similar to what climate scientist warn about the Middle East, the region may be heading toward non-sustainability to civility at all...  a.k.a., uninhabitable. 

I have this  "ACME" Road Runner Sci-Fi solution to the problem ...LOL  A 10 trillion dollar operation that rivals the Great Wall of China. The great "hydro reclamation" project fills the valley with piped water from the northern tip of the Baja of California.  It wouldn't even be a carbon footprint after the development, because the valley is lower than the ocean, so potential gravity is the engine that drives the transport.  Evaporation would come immediately into balance after the initial 'pour' process.   Before doing so, the alluvial-fan sediment would have to be removed from the valley flow, and that would lower the elevation another hundred foot or so and would take the age of the known Solar System to complete just that phase ... So that, combined with the obvious absurd dumb reasons why this won't work, makes this proposal a cartoon - still... I've often fantasized some sort of 9.2 'never-heard-of-before' Slip Fault quake ( big boy Seismic events have always been a Thrust Fault type ), but the event "splits" the landscape and the ocean tsunamis in...   Then, all this technological wizardry humanity is proving it is capable of goes in there with space age desalinization at epic industrial scale, and California has unlimited water.

Good morning Tip. After reading your, tongue planted firmly in cheek scenario, I wonder when the push to genetically engineer fire proof but bio degradable fauna will commence? As always ……