Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, radarman said:

Should always use cash when patronizing small businesses and making small purchases.  Unless you think the big banks deserve some of that transaction.  Hitting the ATM machine is a small inconvenience you can totally manage to support the locals.  Tip in cash too.

I generally roll with $100-200 cash in pocket.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Travis Pastrana set new MWN Auto Road record today in the race to the clouds or whatever it’s called.  5 min and 28 seconds is absolutely nuts on that road (7.6 miles).  Lose it at speed in several spots and your car rolls 1,000ft down the mountain.

He is amazing. 

6 hours ago, hammerz_nailz said:

When I was 12 we lived in a house in Westchester County NY that had a bomb shelter under the garage. It had some sort of air filter with a big crank that you'd use in a prolonged power outage.  My parents didn't want us to tell our friends but I think we had every kid in the neighborhood down there at some point. 

Good spot to hide your playboys

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Travis Pastrana set new MWN Auto Road record today in the race to the clouds or whatever it’s called.  5 min and 28 seconds is absolutely nuts on that road (7.6 miles).  Lose it at speed in several spots and your car rolls 1,000ft down the mountain.

Average speed about 83 mph.   !!!!!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I always have some cash on me . Got some hidden like the Italians like to do 

We get a lot of people up here who don't even have cards on them, much less cash.  Apple pay or Google pay.

Cash definitely seems like it's on it's way out to be honest.  Extremely small number of cash transactions these days, to the point that it's not even worth having a cash office at the ski area anymore.

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I operate heavily in the “shady” economy 

Ha I hear that.  Still reasons to have cash around and Uncle Sam having no records.  Tips, under the table work, contractors will give a discount for smaller jobs if you pay them in cash so there's no record of it, etc.  There's a big green industry in Vermont that keeps cash flowing around too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kdxken said:

Goldenrod is blooming.

In 2007 the 5-acre field where our gravel road meets the tar, about 2,000' from home, was plowed and disked.  Next summer it came up 100% goldenrod and thick, probably caught a load of seeds from nearby.  (Why would anyone spend money to plant it?)  By mid-August they were in full bloom and for the first time in my life I was miserable with allergy - would cough all day then wake up about 2 AM full of mucus and cough for 3/4 hour straight each night, lasted about a week doing that.  Same amount of blossoms in 2009 but only very mild reaction and none since, with lots of goldenrod still there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We get a lot of people up here who don't even have cards on them, much less cash.  Apple pay or Google pay.

Cash definitely seems like it's on it's way out to be honest.  Extremely small number of cash transactions these days, to the point that it's not even worth having a cash office at the ski area anymore.

Given ski area prices (and those of many other sports/games) I can see why.  But spending $3 for coffee and a donut at Sandy River Farm Supply down the road makes cash the simple answer.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Given ski area prices (and those of many other sports/games) I can see why.  But spending $3 for coffee and a donut at Sandy River Farm Supply down the road makes cash the simple answer.

There’s a ton of small transactions too though, hand and toe warmers take are the largest selling items and they are less than that coffee and donut.  Most people buy the big pricey stuff like lift tickets or lessons online ahead of time. It’s the smaller items like F&B, coffees, hand warmers, a face mask, a beer, fridge magnet or post card, that make up a lot of transactions.  Obviously still not cheap (marked up) but most single transactions a $20 can cover.  People just don’t carry it.

Its also a large enterprise so you aren’t worried about the transaction cost to the bank for the business like you would a local coffee joint.  I can see the mentality of just “put it all on the card this trip and we’ll deal with it later.”