Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I flew southwest from PVD to LAS and both times were great. Interesting.

I fly it out of PVD some. This time I had to take it out of Logan and it sucked. 
when I used to travel for work pre Covid I flew jet blue to San Diego a lot. Non stop. Awsone flight.

Like Dave said, SW used to be a lot better. But honestly they all suck right now.  

2 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I fly it out of PVD some. This time I had to take it out of Logan and it sucked. 
when I used to travel for work pre Covid I flew jet blue to San Diego a lot. Non stop. Awsone flight.

Like Dave said, SW used to be a lot better. But honestly they all suck right now.  

Airline travel overall sucks except for a  few instances I guess when you fly a premium airline and/or have something like first class seating.

• Like 1

I’ve always had good luck flying American, of course I’m probably jinxing myself saying that. I haven’t flown since summer 2019 when we went to England and Germany. Flew from BOS to LHR on AA. The return was on British Airways. I was surprised how nice that was. Decent meals and snacks. We were lucky enough to have an empty seat in our row so that greatly improved the comfort level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I flew AA this past week. Packed in like sardines, but at least departed and arrived on time. 

I never understood why folks had so much trouble lining up by number frankly.  It seemed way more orderly than on AA, etc., when they call group 3 and everyone pushes to the gate all at once like a herd of cattle.   Or want to pay like $30 extra to not sit in a middle seat or at the back of the plane. 

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I can’t stand Southwest.  I liked them back in the 1990s but now they are pretty bad.  JetBlue for a discount airline blow them away

JetBlue hasn’t been discount in a long time.  It’s now considered legacy.   The very worst is American.    I accumulated hundreds of thousands of miles which I used and said good bye.   Must be management-attitude sucks.  It’s a shame because I got my Aadvantage # in 1984-one of the early ones.

Nowadays airlines are recouping what they lost in the early days of the pandemic but it seems they are really putting the squeeze on.   My favorite airline is Delta.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Sad what is happening in Kabul. from all the death on 9/11, to the years of fighting, now back to square one. It's an empty feeling. Fall of Saigon x2

My nephew's marine unit are the ones in Kabul now removing US citizens and US embassy staff.  The mission should be completed in 72 hours.  It seems that there will be a peaceful transfer of power there.  Our government is in contact with the taliban telling them it's in their best interest not to take the city by force. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, binbisso said:

My nephew's marine unit are the ones in Kabul now removing US citizens and US embassy staff.  The mission should be completed in 72 hours.  It seems that there will be a peaceful transfer of power there.  Our government is in contact with the taliban telling them it's in their best interest not to take the city by force. 

With Bagram and all bases fallen, I am curious where the 5k troops deployed actually are. The airport?

8 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Sad what is happening in Kabul. from all the death on 9/11, to the years of fighting, now back to square one. It's an empty feeling. Fall of Saigon x2

Afghanistan has been a tribal mess for centuries and neither the old USSR nor the US changed that much.  What's especially sad is the Taliban's treatment of women - slaves and brood mares.  :fulltilt:

I’ve always had good luck flying American, of course I’m probably jinxing myself saying that. I haven’t flown since summer 2019 when we went to England and Germany. Flew from BOS to LHR on AA. The return was on British Airways. I was surprised how nice that was. Decent meals and snacks. We were lucky enough to have an empty seat in our row so that greatly improved the comfort level. 
Wife's been working the BOS to LHR this month. She's been bringing back some decent IPAs.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Boston (and New York) are great cities to fly out of as no one airline dominates the market. Keeps prices down due to competition, at least relative other hubs.

Living in Dallas, it was either AA out of DFW or WN out of DAL if you didn’t want to connect. Of course, at the time, I kind of liked the high prices as work paid for all my travel and the higher the price of the ticket, the more miles and status earned. 

I still mostly fly AA and continue  to maintain their mid-tier status. Pre-Covid, good luck getting an upgrade out of DFW, LGA, BOS, etc.. In the post-Covid world, I’m batting about 75% as a platinum. Not bad!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Sitting at the marina in our boat wondering why the restaurant isn't that busy when ordinarily it would be. They have no internet so cash only. Lost business. We're so dependent on credit.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

It’s true, I’m not sure when the last time was that I carried cash on me.

Town of Stowe had a 2-hour internet outage on a Friday evening from like 5-7pm recently that wrecked town.  Hotels, restaurants, shops, even gas stations couldn’t process any electronic payments for two hours on a busy Friday evening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It’s true, I’m not sure when the last time was that I carried cash on me.

Town of Stowe had a 2-hour internet outage on a Friday evening from like 5-7pm recently that wrecked town.  Hotels, restaurants, shops, even gas stations couldn’t process any electronic payments for two hours on a busy Friday evening.

When I worked at the pizza shop 1973-75 while in UMaine forestry school, we could be a bit smug when the power went off as the ovens were gas and we had battery lighting.  The old fashioned mechanical register was electric but could be run manually with a crank.  (And might be a museum piece today.)

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, tamarack said:

When I worked at the pizza shop 1973-75 while in UMaine forestry school, we could be a bit smug when the power went off as the ovens were gas and we had battery lighting.  The old fashioned mechanical register was electric but could be run manually with a crank.  (And might be a museum piece today.)

When I was 12 we lived in a house in Westchester County NY that had a bomb shelter under the garage. It had some sort of air filter with a big crank that you'd use in a prolonged power outage.  My parents didn't want us to tell our friends but I think we had every kid in the neighborhood down there at some point. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1