Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

That’s at the Westman islands (Vestmannaeyjar)). We almost went there.  Would have been about $100 to put the car on the ferry and go there.  I was cheap plus the time was an issue. Then to see that formation you needed to take a rib boat tour. 
That was where the volcano in the 1970s threatened a town and they stopped it.  Cool museum there plus lots of puffins. 

What was the water temp? Where there natural hot springs?

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Beluga's . Love the Aquarium.  Had a membership for 15 years. My kids went to a couple of day camps there. 

I havent been in over 25 years. I guess you can enter a raffle to name a whale. I have a few names in mind 

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Not really sure.  We kayaked in the glacial lagoon and the guide said it was around 5C there (it feeds into the ocean, so at low tide water flows out from the lagoon. At high tide it flows in a little.  

At the beaches we went to we didn't walk in the water.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Missed the second question.  Lots of natural hot springs. Some have been turned into pools.  The big one called Blue Lagoon is actually man made

Parts of the country have pockets of thermal activity right near the surface so lots of steam vents. 

We also went to a geyser (at a spot called Geysir which is where the name comes from. ).  

• Like 2

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Missed the second question.  Lots of natural hot springs. Some have been turned into pools.  The big one called Blue Lagoon is actually man made

Parts of the country have pockets of thermal activity right near the surface so lots of steam vents. 

We also went to a geyser (at a spot called Geysir which is where the name comes from. ).  

Damn natural hot tubs, Wiz could take his friends Dad and go naked

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Damn natural hot tubs, Wiz could take his friends Dad and go naked

There are thermal rivers too... didn't see any of those or any of the small, semi secret bathing pools, but there are a bunch that locals go to.  It's a big part of the culture there.  Almost no one has their own swimming pool but pretty much every town has a big, geothermally heated public pool with slides etc.   I thought that was funny.

Regarding swimming in the ocean, numerous signs for "sneaker waves" that drag people out now and then.  Different than rip tides I guess.