Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

2 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Some of the ICU beds at smaller hospitals are used for Covid wards. They’re not necceserily sick enough for ICU level care. It’s not the norm, but it is prevalent here and there. 

Hospitals are filled in Arkansas and the people in the icu beds are mainly on ventilators. They’ve had to stop elective procedures(which makes them the money they need to stay afloat) and also are having to shop hundreds of miles away each time a cardiac emergency happens or a serious crash takes place. My aunt says her hospital system is on the verge of collapse and they are literally doing anything they can do to find resources and try to stay afloat. It’s a very bad situation.

2 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Hospitals are filled in Arkansas and the people in the icu beds are mainly on ventilators. They’ve had to stop elective procedures(which makes them the money they need to stay afloat) and also are having to shop hundreds of miles away each time a cardiac emergency happens or a serious crash takes place. My aunt says her hospital system is on the verge of collapse and they are literally doing anything they can do to find resources and try to stay afloat. It’s a very bad situation.

They need a hospital ship, for sure.

• Haha 2

Just now, PhineasC said:

Phin we get it, you’re waiting to get the shot. It’s fine, you live in the middle of nowhere in New England and have a very good job that allows you to work around certain situations, and I’m sure in person you’re an interesting and intelligent dude who I’d actually enjoy conversing with…but things are bad there. These people aren’t in a good situation and there’s no other way to put it.

Phin we get it, you’re waiting to get the shot. It’s fine, you live in the middle of nowhere in New England and have a very good job that allows you to work around certain situations, and I’m sure in person you’re an interesting and intelligent dude who I’d actually enjoy conversing with…but things are bad there. These people aren’t in a good situation and there’s no other way to put it.

Yep, been hearing that since March of 2020. Like I said, get the field hospital set up and pay the nurses more so they stay, if it's that much of an issue. But neither of those things will happen and the media will just suddenly stop talking about it. Just like last year. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Yep, been hearing that since March of 2020. Like I said, get the field hospital set up and pay the nurses more so they stay, if it's that much of an issue. But neither of those things will happen and the media will just suddenly stop talking about it. Just like last year. 

You would think we would have seen at least one hospital go "over the brink" during this whole thing, but we don't because the field hospitals see like 2 people

• Like 1

I think he’s down in the mid-Atlantic a lot this time of year…. I can tell you living in the country in NNE right now you wouldn’t be able to be that concerned with COVID.  I think he knows if his life revolved around N.NH/BML he wouldn’t need to think about it. The rat race can be brutal in the suburbs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I think he’s down in the mid-Atlantic a lot this time of year…. I can tell you living in the country in NNE right now you wouldn’t be able to be that concerned with COVID.  I think he knows if his life revolved around N.NH/BML he wouldn’t need to think about it. The rat race can be brutal in the suburbs.

People keep assuming I live at the Hermit Lake snow plot site. LOL

5 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

You would think we would have seen at least one hospital go "over the brink" during this whole thing, but we don't because the field hospitals see like 2 people

Many hospitals closed wards and reduced staff during the very slow time in the spring, and now they are paying for that in some cases and having to scramble. During this entire pandemic, people have been trying to claim that business decisions made by the hospital administrations are strongly correlated to COVID spread and severity. Some hospitals are just grossly mismanaged and always have very long ER waits and wards bursting at capacity.

21 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Can you read??   I said some, not the norm.

26 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

I do believe the extra hospitals were overkill, but my sister who is a pharmacist for patients in a NYC hospital has shown personal photos within the Mount Sinai hospital system where the lobby was filled with beds of patients being short of breath.  Not going to share her personal photos.

Discovery Channel has made a documentary called “The Surge at Mount Sinai.”  

It was one of the few spots that maxed out… of course being in NYC in the very beginning, people were curious what was wrong with them too.

• Like 1

It's hard to say what the experience very early on means in the bigger picture. We knew basically nothing about the virus. There were stories out of NYC of doctors venting basically every COVID patient who walked in the door early on. A lot has changed since then. If hospitals are STILL getting "overwhelmed" now that means they did not take the proper precautions to prepare and instead tried to cut corners and downsize because they were losing money when there were no patients. Now they are scrambling with a huge influx of delayed elective procedures, RSV, and COVID. That means they are run by penny-pinching morons, not that the virus is outrageously severe in that locale. People keep making this mistake when looking at the hospital data and the media pumps it up because fear sells.

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's hard to say what the experience very early on means in the bigger picture. We knew basically nothing about the virus. There were stories out of NYC of doctors venting basically every COVID patient who walked in the door early on. A lot has changed since then. If hospitals are STILL getting "overwhelmed" now that means they did not take the proper precautions to prepare and instead tried to cut corners and downsize because they were losing money when there were no patients. Now they are scrambling with a huge influx of delayed elective procedures, RSV, and COVID. That means they are run by penny-pinching morons, not that the virus is outrageously severe in that locale. People keep making this mistake when looking at the hospital data and the media pumps it up because fear sells.

No doubt.  With time, hospitals will figure out “best practices” for giving care.  It was certainly a learning curve.

Over time it became obvious extra sites were overkill.

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I keep saying it... only 45 deaths from Delta under the age of 50 in the UK.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

51 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Many hospitals closed wards and reduced staff during the very slow time in the spring, and now they are paying for that in some cases and having to scramble. During this entire pandemic, people have been trying to claim that business decisions made by the hospital administrations are strongly correlated to COVID spread and severity. Some hospitals are just grossly mismanaged and always have very long ER waits and wards bursting at capacity.

39 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

june bug levels of crazy

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Many of us regulars too just gave up and joined the convo, ha.  Not necessarily content police but nostalgia for the old ways of the forum.  You checked in as a way to escape real life issues and talk weather with other weather fanatics, vs. coming to hear thoughts on society’s problems and maybe discuss weather on the side.  But there’d also be 6 hours at a time between posts in the summer.

I agree though if we are going to do COVID convo just let everyone in the pool at once and see who drowns :lol:.  

I think the main issue is that the banter thread, which is supposed to cover more random topics and discussion, is being dominated by COVID, and it's drowning out the other banter - plus there's many of us who just don't want to read about COVID opinions 24/7 but still want to check in here for the other topics.

So yes, there's a number of us that are more annoyed because it is being shoved down our throats in the banter thread.  Our choices are either read the COVID stuff in banter, or ignore the thread entirely.  The issue isn't the discussion itself, but it's such a heated topic and there's probably a good percentage of people who would rather read/discuss anything else.

Maybe the mods will allow a COVID discussion thread for the Fall.  They effectively cannot remove the COVID discussion from the forum so why not split it out?  This way we can discuss crotch rot and the Red Sox choking down the stretch without COVID getting in the way.  The way the forum is setup, the advice of "just don't read it" or "ignore it" is impossible unless you stay out of the banter thread entirely.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

I think the main issue is that the banter thread, which is supposed to cover more random topics and discussion, is being dominated by COVID, and it's drowning out the other banter - plus there's many of us who just don't want to read about COVID opinions 24/7 but still want to check in here for the other topics.

So yes, there's a number of us that are more annoyed because it is being shoved down our throats in the banter thread.  Our choices are either read the COVID stuff in banter, or ignore the thread entirely.  The issue isn't the discussion itself, but it's such a heated topic and there's probably a good percentage of people who would rather read/discuss anything else.

Maybe the mods will allow a COVID discussion thread for the Fall.  They effectively cannot remove the COVID discussion from the forum so why not split it out?  This way we can discuss crotch rot and the Red Sox choking down the stretch without COVID getting in the way.  The way the forum is setup, the advice of "just don't read it" or "ignore it" is impossible unless you stay out of the banter thread entirely.

That could work. The covid thread would still be hot but least its more seperate

Long time lurker in New England thread with a few winter posts in NY.   Not here to get triggered and yell at people with different opinions.   I don't care if you want to wear a mask, or 25 masks.   Vaccinated or not, this is America, make your own choice. 

But what I do not like are companies mandating a non FDA proved vaccine.   These companies better have good insurance if someone is forced to take the jab and have a bad reaction (its rare but anything can happen).   

Other then that, I always laugh at the Dews and Stein topics.  Being I finally bit the bullet and responded here, you'll probably see me chime in from time to time now

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bristolri_wx said:

At some poiint Delta/Covid will die down and it will go back to regular banter like we say in June/early July.

6 hours ago, bristolri_wx said:

Banter was never anything but current news and joking,  please...

• Thanks 1

You go Ar-Kansas but the Delta variant is MEH so i've been told for those that are unvaccinated.  Average age of those hospitalized has dropped drastically.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid19-arkansas-hospitalizations-icu-beds-asa-hutchinson/

Republican Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson tweeted on Monday that "there are currently only eight ICU beds available in the state" as the region and the rest of the U.S. grapples with a surge of COVID infections fueled in part by the highly contagious Delta variant.

The Arkansas Department of Health reported on Monday that a total of 1,376 people are hospitalized due to the coronavirus, which surpasses a record high of 1,371 hospitalizations recorded on January 11. State data also shows more than 500 people have been admitted to the ICU and nearly 300 people infected with COVID are on ventilators.

https://www.5newsonline.com/article/news/local/covid-hospitalizations-at-record-high-in-nwa/527-6da9424c-6fc8-4ab5-a274-0b27861a389f

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, wxtrix said:

there's a politics forum with an active covid thread. but after all the money put into a separate politics forum, no one can sign up for it because there is no staff support for it, so the dumb covid takes end up here.

...aaaand there it is, step right up folks:  the self-appointed arbiter of intelligence and truth has opened its booth.  Take your turn, one booth multiple games:  strawman knockdown; whack-a-mole deflection; link-me-up; and dodge-the-hive attack... step right up,  who's next?...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2