Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

3 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

That was probably unwise. First, you have to be infected to transmit, and you're less likely to get infected in the first place. Ct values being similar at an instance in time dont tell the whole story. Vaccinated people clear the infection much quicker than unvaccinated. 

Aren't they the experts?

43 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

huh? that doesn't provide any context for the percentage of people who were fully-vaccinated (2 shots + 2 weeks) who tested positive, were hospitalized, or died.

the point of the vaccine is to minimize severe cases and/or death, not to stop transmission.  and the reason that the delta variant has spread is that people won't get vaccinated and won't wear a stupid mask for a short period of time.

good grief.

Fauci said masks dont work. Its in his private emails

• Weenie 2

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

I think delta existed at that time, but it wasn't the vast majority of cases like it is now. 

Things have really changed with the Delta variant. Much more easy for vaccinated people to catch and spread the Delta Variant. Other countries that actually count the breakthrough cases are reporting large numbers of breakthrough cases with the Delta variant. Iceland has 93% of its above 16 years old population vaccinated, yet they're seeing a major Delta surge. I posted an article where the chief epidemiologist of Iceland talks about how vaccinated people are easily catching and spreading the Delta variant. And who knows how much worse it will be with future variants. Hopefully vaccines won't become less and less effective with each variant.

• Weenie 1

Just now, winterwx21 said:

Things have really changed with the Delta variant. Much more easy for vaccinated people to catch and spread the Delta Variant. Other countries that actually count the breakthrough cases are reporting large numbers of breakthrough cases with the Delta variant. Iceland has 93% of its above 16 years old population vaccinated, yet they're seeing a major Delta surge. I posted an article where the chief epidemiologist of Iceland talks about how vaccinated people are easily catching and spreading the Delta variant. And who knows how much worse it will be with future variants. Hopefully vaccines won't become less and less effective with each variant.

Iceland has had a very modest pandemic from the beginning. I have seen their last wave...but its really small in the grand scheme and has only featured a single death I believe. I would assume hospitalizations are also very low. 

If the Ro of Delta is indeed near 6, then you would expect a fair amount of spread with a population that's about 70-75% fully vaccinated (I think including kids matters in the R calculation). 

I think there has been some drop in effectiveness against delta in terms of infection, but haven't seen anything suggesting a drop in effectiveness against hospitalizations and death. 

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

I said it's less likely, not that vaccinated people never spread it. 

New research out of ICL has found fully vaccinated individuals are 3x LESS likely to test positive for SARS-CoV-2 than unvaccinated individuals AND are LESS likely to pass the virus on to others, due to having a smaller viral load on average and therefore shedding LESS virus.

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

New research out of ICL has found fully vaccinated individuals are 3x LESS likely to test positive for SARS-CoV-2 than unvaccinated individuals AND are LESS likely to pass the virus on to others, due to having a smaller viral load on average and therefore shedding LESS virus.

I mean that makes sense! lol 

3 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I said it's less likely, not that vaccinated people never spread it. 

Nursing homes — once the epicenter of the pandemic in New Jersey — reported infection levels began to decline quickly last winter, once vaccines were widely available to residents and staff. That trend continued through this spring, mirroring the virus’s impact on the community at large. In May state regulators allowed family and friends to visit residents again, albeit with masking and other protocols, particularly when the individuals involved are not immunized.

But the expanding presence of the delta variant — which spreads twice as effectively as the original form of the virus — recently changed the trajectory of the disease in long-term care facilities. National nursing-home data indicates a low point for new cases among residents and staff in mid- to late June, but diagnoses have escalated quickly since then. By the week ending July 18, the most recent for which figures are available, cases among residents had grown 124% and staff cases increased 184% over three weeks.

There it is, the Fauci bashing....

Dr. Fauci is one of the most brilliant scientists of the generation.   I’ve been following his work for 40 years.  However, as a fellow son of a pharmacist I was appalled at his first ball in DC fiasco at the game last year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, weathafella said:

Dr. Fauci is one of the most brilliant scientists of the generation.   I’ve been following his work for 40 years.  However, as a fellow son of a pharmacist I was appalled at his first ball in DC fiasco at the game last year.

Lol that was a terrible pitch

11 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Iceland has had a very modest pandemic from the beginning. I have seen their last wave...but its really small in the grand scheme and has only featured a single death I believe. I would assume hospitalizations are also very low. 

Just checked the JHU site, which pegged Iceland's total cases at 8,900, about 2.7% of the population, and 30 deaths, or about 1 in 297 cases.  Could not find the recent infection numbers there - maybe just didn't look hard enough.

1 minute ago, natedizel said:

He said and I quote "masks are really not effective "

Can you provide that link?  If you’re talking March 2020 that’s silly to bring up.   Data influences decisions.   It’s not old KA never changing a forecast....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I find him "Meh". And ya the forcast changes but tell us your forcast at the moment. Dont have it leak out a year later.

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Can you provide that link?  If you’re talking March 2020 that’s silly to bring up.   Data influences decisions.   It’s not old KA never changing a forecast....

The guy told us one thing last feb and march but actually thought something else. No denying it.

• Weenie 2

8 minutes ago, natedizel said:

He said and I quote "masks are really not effective "

More than a year ago I saw (and did not save the link) a test comparing exhale distance for the common cloth mask, a bandanna with and no restriction.  Nearly all of the exhale thru the mask stopped in less than one foot while unrestricted had considerable out to 3-4 feet and the bandana was a bit closer to unrestricted than to the mask.  The test showed no data for shouted (or panting) exhale, which likely would've shown greater distances for each practice.  It would seem that the mask has limited effect when folks are cheek to jowl, especially indoors, but with at least some social distancing, that (now anecdotal, since I don't have the link) data would mean the mask would be useful in limiting spread.  (Even if it's doing less in protecting the wearer)

• Thanks 1